iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Bio earth friendly" Hydraulic oil.

Started by BargeMonkey, January 06, 2017, 10:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

Wondering if any of you guys have ever changed a machine over to the "safer" Hydraulic oil ???  I've got to submit a bid next week on another job for NYC, subcontracted thru Lancaster basically doing some clearing work and stumping near the reservoir and everything has to be changed over. The cost of the oil is covered by them in the bid, but I wanted to ask around, I've been told yrs ago guys had seal issues after changing over, wondered if anyone had a brand they have used and recommended. Thanks.

OntarioAl

Barge
You have your homework cut out for you. I have heard stories of possible seal damage but the only way to be sure is contact the manufacturer of the machine or machines you will be switching over and see what  Bio friendly oils are compatible with the seals, valves and pumps.
I am curious does this entail purging the system so that there is no remaining residue in the  cylinders, lines valves tank etc.
Cheers
Al
Al Raman

BargeMonkey

I'm going to call Deere and Vermeer on Monday and see what they say, I will have to change over my Timbco, chipper and 160 excavator. Try and bring as little equipment as I have to for this one. I ask the guy today what proof I had to provide that the oil is in the machine, he didn't seem to concerned. Last time on one of these jobs they gave me 20 calendar days to be in and out, I'm hoping that because there is really only 2-3 guys looking to bid it that they will consider it because your not going to be on site for a long period of time. I'm just putting new pump seals in my timbco right now and have heard of guys having trouble after switching over, half tempted to add 10% for trouble that may happen. I've seen it used in the marine industry but it's "rare" . The cost of the oil goes in the bid, it's a state scale job so nothing is going to be cheap and these guys know it. Basically cut 90% of the wood within 25' of the road edge, heavy in areas of culverts, on about 10,000 ft of road, stump it and lose the stumps. I figure I can do it in 12-14 days just myself and my father.

Neilo

Firstly I don't have any experience with bio hydraulic oil.

I see lots of problems with bio bar oil. These are with old oil and residue.

I would find out the life of the hydraulic oil, and consider if you have to cost putting your regular fluid back in before you were going to change it.

danbuendgen

I have never used it. But I have heard that guys say it doesn't hold up good to heat and should be changed 2x more then conventional hydraulic oil. It's not at all earth friendly in my opinion. If that stuff spills on your lawn it will kill the grass, so will bio bar oil. If it's anything like bio bar oil I would stay away from if possible. It doesn't lube well and if it says on the bar and chain for extended periods it will gum up your bar and chain wicked. If you NEED to use it on a job go for it, but I would change it back ASAP. GOOD LUCK
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

Gearbox

Bid it high and don't look back . You do that and cover all your bases . Get it you make money don't get it you learned where to bid next time .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Neilo

At least Barge can be our bio oil expert!

I agree with Dan, it's not earth friendly. Earth friendly would be machines without leaks, getting good life out of oil and recycling used oil.

I guess they are worried about failures near the water which makes sense. A spill kit and agreeing to remove any oil contaminated soil off site would probably achieve the same protection of the water.

Good luck with it.

coxy

NYC water shed is a pain where a pill cant reach  :D 

BargeMonkey

I'm figuring it would run in the machines less than 100hrs. Most places on this job I could hit the reservoir with a baseball, some of it is right next to a bridge and literally dropping trees in and pull them out.  I normally buy all my oil in bulk from Ponsenello in Albany, calling Monday to see what they say.

BargeMonkey

Not trying to resurrect a super old post but it boiled down to this,
Deere Hyguard "eco" oil is $2027.00 per 55gal drum, I pick it up at Nortrax in Clifton Park. Another Albany distributor has a Chevron "green" oil for $890.00 per 55gal drum, buy 5+ and it's $850.00 dropped at my shop. Both places recommended new filters when it goes in, and new filters when regular oil goes back in when the jobs done. All the iron on another job we are on has been converted over, this is like the 3rd time in a yr I'm seeing this stuff being specified for jobs. I wear a tinfoil hat sometimes but I can see this becoming the new normal down here if you get so far from the creek or a stream crossing and it turns into a state wide reg.

LeeB

http://www.qlubricants.com/data/clearblue.pdf. We used it in our BOP's when I was in the G.O.M. Seems like I remember it in the cranes too.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: LeeB on January 24, 2017, 08:49:56 AM
http://www.qlubricants.com/data/clearblue.pdf. We used it in our BOP's when I was in the G.O.M. Seems like I remember it in the cranes too.
Thank you for the info.

starmac

Several years ago the asphalt reclamation company I was running my trucks for did a job in Mt ranier national park (that alone was the pits).
They tried to make them change the Hydraulic oil over to vegetable oil. They refused and were finally told just to carry on as usual.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

BargeMonkey

I could tell them I refuse to do it  😂  probably be like the kiss of death on being offered anymore work like this. My bid was 6digits plus for "2+ - wks" worth of work, I don't care what they want me to do. 😂😂  I figured the oil, 2 sets of filters and 2 days of my mechanics time in, Ponsenello in Albany has the oil on hand. I should know in a couple days.

Thank You Sponsors!