iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

D4 caterpillar

Started by Thefarmer76, August 18, 2016, 09:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thefarmer76

I just purchased a 1949 d4 6u for logging and general farm use.  It's in need of top rollers, does anybody know the CAT part #? Or if same vintage d2 rollers will work?.  Thanks for you time in advance !!

D2 Cody

Hi Farmer76,
Very cool. If you look at my profile you will notice I am a huge fan of anything antique caterpillar. I am not sure of the part numbers right off hand but can check for you. A few places to look that I am another member of is the antique caterpillar machinery owners club and the antique caterpillar machinery enthusiasts club. Both of these groups are great and full of friendly knowledgible people with years of experience. I have been a member for several years and have gained a lot of knowledge and met lots of great people. Another source is through caterpillars cat classic parts. I hope this helps and if you need anything else just let me know. Take care.
Are you just going to lay there and bleed or get up and do something about it..Wyatt Earp Tombstone

Echo-Stihl-Caterpillar-Dodge-Craftsman-Lincoln

longtime lurker

Google for VC010400, or CTCH010400. It's the aftermarket number of one late in the series ('56 from memory) but chances are if it doesn't fit it'll be a minor modification job. Undercarriage ain't changed much.

Can't remember my anniversary, but I can spit our part numbers for machines I sold 20 years ago off the top of my head: no wonder I'm in trouble this week
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Thefarmer76

Thanks !, I am just so excited to get using it but want to get the fluids changed.  Any idea of the grade and capacities too?? I figure it deserves some love after lasting this long!! It sure does run sweet though!

Thefarmer76

Its  amazing how many videos I see of old CATs in Australia !. For sure some of the harshest conditions on the planet !!  I have been there on a motorcycle trip as a kid, best steak of my life in a town called Prosporin ( sp?) Queensland is beautiful !

sealark37

You can Google "Caterpillar Service Manuals" and purchase the books you need for service info and part numbers.  Regards, Clark

Thefarmer76

Well I didn't get much time in the seat and some nasty noises came from the main drive clutch.  Turns out a cast piece is broken from the pressure plate and the throw out bushing is toast.... does anyone know if the D2 of the same vintage has the same main clutch ??? Thanks

Gearbox

I would guess that not much is going to fit from the D 2 . The 2 was much smaller crawler.
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Thefarmer76

So I found a book online and am working at getting the top flywheel cover off.  Cover is loose but won't wiggle out of there, maybe the pup flywheel ?.  But the book clearly shows it still on....anyone else done this job before ? Thanks...

Old Iron nut

Farmer, D2 will not work, they are different as the track is smaller. I have a 1947 D4 7U that has well worn tracks and rollers. Have not got the time to fix same but will have to it soon as I need it to clear up a fence that is going to be taken out. The rad also needs to be cleaned out internally. The cover should come out if you lift the back up and let the flange on the front clear the pup flywheel. If you need parts there is a chap west of me that has some of the old D4's if he hasn't scrapped them.Cheers, Old Iron Nut.

Thefarmer76

Ya I have been trying, the cover is loose and is mm from coming out.  I tried to get the pup flywheel off but need a puller.  It's hard to see what all I need until I get the clutch out.  Looks like a broken finger at least... too bad I only got 4 hrs of work out of the old blister !

Remle

Quote from: Thefarmer76 on January 15, 2017, 09:00:09 PM
Ya I have been trying, the cover is loose and is mm from coming out.  I tried to get the pup flywheel off but need a puller.  It's hard to see what all I need until I get the clutch out.  Looks like a broken finger at least... too bad I only got 4 hrs of work out of the old blister !
So I found a book online and am working at getting the top flywheel cover off.  Cover is loose but won't wiggle out of there, maybe the pup flywheel ?.  But the book clearly shows it still on....anyone else done this job before ? Thanks...
From your earlier post..  Yes been their done that..
I think you are going about it wrong. I have a later D4/7U. One book I have says to leave that cover on. You need to remove the transmission cover to get to the clutch. Their are two piece and one piece cover assembly's. On the two piece covers the front cover can be removed, on the one piece cover you need to remove the seat and fuel tank/ect. Let me know which one you have and I can be more specific on how to get it off..

Thefarmer76

Okay thanks, it's a two piece for sure.  I maybe saw the same book online that's why it's frustrating.  I first thought the firewall was the issue so it's loose but for sure it the flywheel.  I'm not kidding when I say it's mm from coming out.  But I am sure that the flywheel has to be removed.  I must go buy a puller..... maybe the pup has been swapped out at some point who knows. 

jwade

Quote from: longtime lurker on August 19, 2016, 07:08:42 AM
Google for VC010400, or CTCH010400. It's the aftermarket number of one late in the series ('56 from memory) but chances are if it doesn't fit it'll be a minor modification job. Undercarriage ain't changed much.

Can't remember my anniversary, but I can spit our part numbers for machines I sold 20 years ago off the top of my head: no wonder I'm in trouble this week
wow that is amazing

Remle

Quote from: Thefarmer76 on January 17, 2017, 07:31:41 AM
Okay thanks, it's a two piece for sure.  I maybe saw the same book online that's why it's frustrating.  I first thought the firewall was the issue so it's loose but for sure it the flywheel.  I'm not kidding when I say it's mm from coming out.  But I am sure that the flywheel has to be removed.  I must go buy a puller..... maybe the pup has been swapped out at some point who knows.
Sorry about this, I did not realize you were taking off the front cover of a two piece cover assembly..
Okay, from the book, you may have already done this but this is what it says to do..

Front Cover Removal
Engage the clutch, disconnect the clutch control lever, remover the air cleaner, floor plates and inspection cover. Loosen the clamp bolt in the lever and slide the shaft through the clutch cover and lever. Remove the lever through the inspection cover opening, remove the cap screws holding the cover to the case, remove the cover.

Clutch Removal
After the transmission cover is removed, remove the coupling assembly, the screw and funnel from the yoke, move the clutch away from the flywheel until the clutch shaft is out of the pilot bearing, remove the clutch from the housing.

The book does say that the starting engine flywheel does need to be removed with the one piece cover, however it doe's not say to remove it for the two piece cover removal.. Hopefully this info may be of some help..

Thefarmer76

Thank you very much, I appreciate the time and effort to give me some information.  I wish you luck in rebuilding your undercarriage on your machine! Cheers ...

Thefarmer76

I got the pup flywheel off and the clutch cover off... removed the throw out bushing assembly and am trying to get the yolk that holds everything out.  I just don't see how it is possible, without that out the clutch will not come out...

Remle

Quote from: Thefarmer76 on January 19, 2017, 03:29:32 PM
I got the pup flywheel off and the clutch cover off... removed the throw out bushing assembly and am trying to get the yolk that holds everything out.  I just don't see how it is possible, without that out the clutch will not come out...
It's been several years since I replaced the clutch in mine. Looking at the book though their is another split housing behind the throw out held together with 4 bolts. Open it up and inside you will find a coupling holding the shafts together, remove the round rings and slide the coupler and then move assembly backwards so the end comes out of the fly wheel. At least that was the way I think I got it out. Give that a try and let me know.

Remembered one other thing, if my memory is correct, the bottom of the yoke is held by a rod from side to side of the transmission case transmission case, it should slide out one side or the other freeing the yoke..or it may be pinned from the out side right hand side of the case by a bolt. Look it over carefully before pulling out the bolt.. no grantee on my memory.

Thefarmer76

I would send you a picture but it's mind numbing to do so with a iPhone through this forum. 

Thank You Sponsors!