iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Alaska bush people sawmill

Started by Chop Shop, January 19, 2017, 01:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chop Shop

Anyone happen to catch an glimpse of the "minibike mill" built by the special folks on Discovery's  Alaska Bush People?

I dont even have words to describe what I watched!

Peter Drouin

I saw that, All made with junk yard stuff and not knowing what he was doing I thought  it was a good start. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

brianb88

I caught the end of that episode last night. I don't normally watch it because I can't tolerate all the added fake drama. However when while flipping channels their sawmill build caught my attention.
Measure twice, cut once

ozarkgem

Fake, like shooting a deer with the scope covers still on the scope. Must have x ray vision. I did not see the mill. Did it work?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Chuck White

I saw it, it seemed to work, but had definite alignment problems.

The band kept jumping off of the band wheels.

They didn't show much of the finer points of the mill!

It was definitely a start!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Treehack

I saw it.  Wonder if they just happened to have a band blade lying around since they didn't seem to come back from the dump with one.  Interesting to see if they have usable lumber from it in future episodes.  Better entertainment than a lot of the other crap on t.v. These days, but I prefer Alaska the Last Frontier.
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

Gearbox

They will have lumber it will be planed and grade stamped right off the mill .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

york

Hi all,

It is good to see,that you guys are not fooled by the "Alaska bush people"
Albert

Chop Shop

Quote from: york on January 19, 2017, 12:24:07 PM
Hi all,

It is good to see,that you guys are not fooled by the "Alaska bush people"

It should be called,  "Oregon welfare scammers"!

Magicman

Not fooled, but I enjoy the scenery.  Whatever they do is still better than the network "shows"!   ::)  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SkyDoc

I grew up near where they "live". I've still got a lot of friends up that way. According to locals, everything is scripted and they stay at a lodge in Hoonah (a tiny Indian village) when not filming. Alaska the last frontier is better but they are not as secluded as they portray. Regardless, it's a much better show.

Oregon welfare scammers is about right....smh
Dad always said "its easier to learn from someone else's  mistake than to make it yourself". Thats why I am here....

Joe Hillmann

If you want to see a true documentary about people living a self sufficient life in the north watch "Happy People: A Year in the Taiga"  It is about as real as a documantery can be and still be filmed.

Another good one is "Surviving Alone in Alaska"  About a couple that lives in ANWR.  Which has some drama but the drama ends up with a dead bear so it probably isn't staged.  There is also "Braving Alaska" about the same family but from what I have seen about it it is much more staged.

I think shows like Alaska bus people would be much more interesting if they showed what the real people go through and skipped the drama fake problems.

47sawdust

Maybe there should be a "star'' rating for TV shows and documentaries.Similar to the recently added "like" icon.

Joe Hillman- I saw the Happy People documentary.It was very good.Of course  someone could just do a documentary on Quebecnewf,that would be 5 stars for sure.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

terrifictimbersllc

I'd rate Happy People as possibly the best show I've seen on about 3 yrs of Netflix.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Gearbox on January 19, 2017, 10:34:21 AM
They will have lumber it will be planed and grade stamped right off the mill .

I see that you have also taken the red pill.

WLC

Please don't think that these frauds represent anything Alaskan.  Worst piece of TV on the market right now.  Don't feed them by watching this trash of a show.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Knute

ozarkgem

Quote from: WLC on January 19, 2017, 05:20:53 PM
Please don't think that these frauds represent anything Alaskan.  Worst piece of TV on the market right now.  Don't feed them by watching this trash of a show.
You just burst my bubble. I thought they were real. :)
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Brandon1986

How'd It work out for them? They got ahold of me in Sept and nearly bought my home made mill. Kind of wish they had...

caveman

I have watched the show a few tiamz but each tiam eye vuet it eye tinks mia eyeq droops abowt 10 moore pointz.  Aye aint got nuff spair brane sells to vuit offen.

I did have the opportunity to ride a bicycle across a lot of Alaska in the spring of 1989, right after the Exxon Valdez oil spill.  I was in college and was very tempted to stick around and let them pay me well to clean oil off of rocks and birds.

I decided never to return unless it was to stay-I absolutely loved the state.  Also, I really never understood what folks meant when they complained about Florida's humidity until we landed back in Tampa after spending three weeks in Alaska.  It felt like I was breathing liquid.
Caveman

azmtnman

At least it's clean entertainment.
   I prefer Alaska the Last Frontier, Yukon Men and Mountain Men (my DVR is set to record all those) and only watch ABP when it's all that's on. My favorite is Mountain Men. I know a lot of it is BS (like Eustice Conway taking all winter to harvest a handful of poplars.) It's just entertainment--some learning. You can glean some knowledge out of it if you watch closely.

1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

WLC

Caveman, your not joking about that liquid air.  First time I came to AK I was here for two weeks, during a "heat wave".  Flew back home and when I walked out of the terminal in Atlanta I was soaked to the skin in about 2 minutes, didn't have a dry stitch of clothes on me and it was like breathing water. 
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Treehack

I'd love to get to Alaska someday.  One thing they can't fake is the scenery.
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

timcosby

i saw the blade running on the metal 2" guide and i was thing yep that will knoock the set out of the blade on one side!

garyfg

my son called and said it was on again tonight

Thank You Sponsors!