iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Failure due to over greasing

Started by 4x4American, January 19, 2017, 09:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

Go easy on the clutch pivot grease fitting on your wood-mizers.  I gave it to it and it blew the bushings apart and snapped the cotter pin right off and I had a heck of a time getting it back together.  Had to take it all apart, remove the excess grease for it to go back together.  I didn't realize the grease was holding it, so I had a clamp on it trying to draw it back together, and broke one of the ears off the bronze bushings.  And it never happens at a convenient time...
Boy, back in my day..

WDH

A guy that I know really, really, really well :) had a failure due to being stupid.  He wrecked the outboard blade guide arm, knocked it off the roller bearings and bent the chain sprocket that is powered by the electric in-out motor to move the blade guide in and out :-[ :-\ :'(. 

When you bring the head back in reverse, it comes back at one speed.  The speed of light.  If you are cutting a short cant and are using the drag-back, and if the short board comes off the cant and falls into the sawmill frame and wedges in a fraction of a millisecond, and if the head is traveling back at the speed of light, and if the board wedges in the frame as previously stated, and if the end of the boards raises up into the outboard blade guide assembly, and if the head, moving at the speed of light, slams the board into the frame on one end with the other end of the board in contact with the blade guide assembly, and if the board is persimmon, the head is stopped in a fraction of a millesecond with a million tons of enertia and very bad things happen.  Something gives, and it ain't the persimmon  smiley_smash.

What happens next is that the operator is hopping around in circles trying as hard as he can to kick himself in the butt for being so stupid as to do that.  After that, remorse sets in. 

Just think how dangerous I he can be with a grease gun  :-\.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

If it had not rained yesterday that would not have happened.   smiley_headscratch

That person did mine too.  Different circumstances but the exact same results. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Since the head travels back faster than signals reach the brain, it wouldn't have mattered even if he were not stupid.  If it's any consolation.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

DMcCoy

And they fail from not enough grease, sounds like we need "the three little bears of grease"

GAB

Quote from: WDH on January 20, 2017, 07:52:14 AM
A guy that I know really, really, really well :) had a failure due to being stupid.  He wrecked the outboard blade guide arm, knocked it off the roller bearings and bent the chain sprocket that is powered by the electric in-out motor to move the blade guide in and out :-[ :-\ :'(. 

When you bring the head back in reverse, it comes back at one speed.  The speed of light.  If you are cutting a short cant and are using the drag-back, and if the short board comes off the cant and falls into the sawmill frame and wedges in a fraction of a millisecond, and if the head is traveling back at the speed of light, and if the board wedges in the frame as previously stated, and if the end of the boards raises up into the outboard blade guide assembly, and if the head, moving at the speed of light, slams the board into the frame on one end with the other end of the board in contact with the blade guide assembly, and if the board is persimmon, the head is stopped in a fraction of a millesecond with a million tons of enertia and very bad things happen.  Something gives, and it ain't the persimmon  smiley_smash.

What happens next is that the operator is hopping around in circles trying as hard as he can to kick himself in the butt for being so stupid as to do that.  After that, remorse sets in. 

Just think how dangerous I he can be with a grease gun  :-\.

Sounds to me like someone experienced an OH NO MILLISECOND!!!
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WDH

It happened to me him so fast, that it was over in less than a millisecond  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Andries

Sounds like 'over greased' lightening going on down there in Georgia.
:o
Hang in there Danny - as a wise man on this forum once said:
"The only SERIOUS accident, is the one that money won't fix."
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on January 20, 2017, 04:05:38 PM
It happened to me him so fast, that it was over in less than a millisecond  :).

It don't take long does it POP..... :D :D :D :D In the blink of an eye.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

The only thing slow about it is when you stand there with your mouth open wondering how that could have happened that fast.  You were probably alone.  I had two bystanders.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on January 20, 2017, 07:21:07 PM
You were probably alone. 

......and your first thought is, "This is a bad dream".  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

esteadle

I have noticed how grease under pressure acts a lot like a hydraulic ram. Pushing out bushings and seals and all kinds of stuff....
Usually I do those things in front of other people too... customers, bystanders, smart-alec kids..

4x4American

Yea, for sure.  Grease is used to tension tracks on dozers and excavators too, so it it's good enough for that it's good enough to put a hurting on a cotter pin.

That sounds like a miserable time Danny!  Was that recent?
Boy, back in my day..

Kbeitz

Grease is used to push a stuck piston out of an engine block by making
a spark plug grease fitting adapter and pumping the cly. full of grease
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

Seems like those moments last a looooooooong time. And it seem like you can't move fast enough to make whatever is just about to happen,not happen.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Brucer

Something I learned a long time ago at a maintenance seminar put on by Shell -- unless the manufacturers' instructions say otherwise, only use one shot of grease. You're not trying to fill the bearing with new stuff, you're trying to move along the grease that's in the system.

Of course if you don't grease as often as you're supposed to, this isn't going to work so well.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

4x4American

:D  When I grease the backhoe I'll use 1.5-2 tubes of grease, the tractor will use one.  I pump til I hear or see grease coming out.  But thats also on pins that are taking alot of abuse
Boy, back in my day..

WDH

D-U-G,

It happened to me him on Wednesday.

Yes, alone.  Would not have happened if a certain someone could control the weather better.

paul case

I would have swore that you were talking about another forum member that has chimed in here. He told me a story very simular to yours and he actually finished the job without the arm. He didn't lack much and when you saws and leaves you gotta finish if you can.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WDH

Nothing like a little magic  :D. 

MartyParsons

Hello,
   Yea I have see the cotter pin sheared off the clutch pivot. But I have also seen the dust fall out of the pin and the grease worms eat the pin almost 1/4 the way though. Keep on greasing !!  The last few service jobs I had were to say the least pretty bad. Lots of torch work to get things moving again.
You can use a bolt and a fender washer to pull the bushing back in place and keep it straight. If you try to pry it and it gets angled it gets much harder and breaks the flange off the bushing.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

4x4American

Thanks Marty,  I should have gave you a call.  I called up Indy and the guy told me to jack up the engine to get the psi off the head.  So I hooked a chain to the engine hoists and lowered the head down to get psi off.  Still couldn't get it to draw back in, talked with James in Orgeon and he told me to reverse connect the turnbuckles and itd be easier.  Did that and ended up taking it all apart to see why it still wouldn't go back together.  Saw that the tolerances are tight and the grease was holding it hydraulically.  Cleaned it out and rubbed grease lightly on the innards and it was great.  Schaeffer's 238 Moly Supreme grease is tough stuff
Boy, back in my day..

Kbeitz

Quote from: Brucer on January 21, 2017, 01:46:19 AM
Something I learned a long time ago at a maintenance seminar put on by Shell -- unless the manufacturers' instructions say otherwise, only use one shot of grease. You're not trying to fill the bearing with new stuff, you're trying to move along the grease that's in the system.

Of course if you don't grease as often as you're supposed to, this isn't going to work so well.

I think he is dead wrong. That's true with certen sealed bearings.
I also went to a maintenance seminar in Georgia and the instructor
said older bearing you grease until you push the dirt and grinding out.
He said all bearings make there own dirt and you need to push that out.
Also any tractor type pins you need to grease until it come out clean.
When I grease a sealed bearing I pump real slow until I see grease pushing the seal.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

4x4American

I agree with Kbeitz, but I want to add, they're probably using metric grease and grease guns up there so the ratios are probably completely different.
Boy, back in my day..

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: 4x4American on January 21, 2017, 09:40:32 AM
I agree with Kbeitz, but I want to add, they're probably using metric grease and grease guns up there so the ratios are probably completely different.
This humor needs to be taken with a milligram of salt.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!