iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What do you use on your blade guide arm for lube??

Started by Percy, January 26, 2017, 02:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

This is directed mainly to lt40-50-70 operators. I cut mainly western red cedar and Sitka spruce on my 70. It seems to happen in spurts but my blade guide armwill hit a random spot where it won't keep moving as directed because of sawdust build up on it. I can go for a month no problems and then outta the blue, it starts getting antsy. I put atf on it which dissolves the problem temporarily but returns with a vengance because the atf attracts more sawdust. It's no big deal really But annoys me a lot. Suggestions???
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

WV Sawmiller

Percy,

I use ATF. I spray mine and the guide bar every day before starting the mill. I don't saw much cedar so have not encountered problems with the rollers stopping unless a piece of bark or such gets between the deflector and the roller and that is on-going maintenance in any case.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Larry

I often use paraffin where sawdust accumulation can be a problem.  Sometimes I cut it with just enough mineral spirits to keep it nearly liquid.  Setting my jar in the sunshine provides enough heat to melt the mix than I can paint it on.

I always use this on the rack/pinion gear in table saws but it might work on your guide arm.  I sometimes use it on the elevation slides of my TK and it lasts quite a while.

There is a commercial product that I think has the same ingredients as my home brew called Slipit.  Works almost as good, but a lot more expensive. :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

I usually don't put anything on it, but once in a while I'll take a little dab of grease and wipe it on the contact points, then wipe it off leaving none except for what might get into some of the minute pits that may be present.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Brucer

The manual says to apply a thin film of grease to prevent rust. I've done that on both my mills and it works fine (mostly Douglas-Fir, but a modest amount of WRC as well). The key thing is to make it a really thin film. I've never had an buildup on the arm.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Ga Mtn Man

I don't use anything on mine either and I've never had any issues with sawdust build-up.  I wouldn't have thought that a little sawdust build up would be able to stop the arm from moving.  I'm certainly no expert, but I wonder if your v-rollers are tight enough.  Have you done the "lift test"? ??? 
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Davek603

Same here as Peter, nothing. My older mill I had to lube the chain with ATF but that's it.
Woodmizer LT50 and lots of iron to go with it

Magicman

WM sells/recommends a Teflon spray.  I use WD40 Teflon Dry Lube.  I spray it down every morning while operating the arm in and out.  I actually direct the spray on the chain, but everything gets coated.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ga Mtn Man

Move the blade guide all the way in and lift up on the guide end.  You should not be able to turn the lower, inboard v-roller by hand.  Move the guide all the way out and lift up on the outboard end.  You should not be able to turn the lower, outboard v-roller by hand.   I think I read that in one of Marty Parson's posts.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

highleadtimber16

I've never had that issue, and I cut cedar all day. I did have an issue with my chain/sprocket being out of alignment, and every once in a while the guide arm would stop moving. Next time you have an issue pull out your flash light and have a little peek.
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

terrifictimbersllc

WM told me to use grease on it, which I do, and seldom have any problem.  It's also quite tight ,which it has to be, to keep it from having any movement back and forth or up and down. I've done the lift test but just to see if it moves, not to check a roller.

In days gone by, the arm would be yanked inward on startup, when it grabbed the blade as debris clogged the gap between the roller and lower guide block.  This hasn't happened in a long time, I think my problems earlier were due to the guide arm not being tight enough.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Percy

Thanks for the responses. I will try the teflon spray and the paraffin concoction. My guide arm rollers are possibly too tight.  Another thing is the lt70 rollers are horizontal as opposed to vertical on the 40-50. Perhaps the sawdust crud don't get a chance to fall out as easily   Regardless, I'll quit whining now. Thanks again.

Bandmill Bandit

I polish it once a year with 400 auto sand paper and then let a real thin coat of Ams Oil metal protectant soak on it over night then wipe it off with a clean dry rag. No issues in 2100 ish hours.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Magicman

I just went "straight to the horse's mouth" (old saying) and called/asked WM.  They now recommend ATF so that is simple enough.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Percy

Quote from: Magicman on January 27, 2017, 01:43:15 PM
I just went "straight to the horse's mouth" (old saying) and called/asked WM.  They now recommend ATF so that is simple enough.
:D :D Wonder what the goat says? :D :D

YellowHammer

I've had mine hang a few times with clogged sawdust.  I just move the arm, and wipe off the built up sawdust with my glove and back in business.  I use ATF.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Percy on January 27, 2017, 02:00:10 PM
Quote from: Magicman on January 27, 2017, 01:43:15 PM
:D :D Wonder what the goat says? :D :D
He has proprietary lubricants not widely available.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Andries

Western Red Cedar is what my mill has been working on for a few years.
ATF for the blade guide arm/rollers at the start of the day, and a leaf blower at the end of the day.
. . . but I don't qualify to answer here, cause I run a dinky LT30.  ;D  ;D

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Percy

Quote from: Andries on January 27, 2017, 07:51:19 PM
ATF for the blade guide arm/rollers at the start of the day, and a leaf blower at the end of the day.

Nice log!! That stuff grows around there?? WRC log prices here are whacko high! I cant afford to build a fence :D :D :D

Magicman

Looking at that off center pith, that tree must have grown under some adverse conditions.   :o

Chuck White

Yes you do, it doesn't matter, YOU HAVE A SAWMILL!!!!

The size or brand doesn't matter!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Andries

Quote from: Percy on January 27, 2017, 08:30:36 PM
.  .   .   .   .   Nice log!! That stuff grows around there?? WRC log prices here are whacko high! I cant afford to build a fence :D :D :D

There's people out there with VERY deep pockets.
Sometimes wish I was one of them.  :D

The logs are trucked in from BC, we turn them into log homes.
We've been working on spiral staircases for a while now.
Design calls for a standing big honking tree with 10" by 20" by 60" treads. makes for 17 treads on each staircase.
Great potential for jamming up the guide arm!  ::)

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Percy

Quote from: Andries on January 27, 2017, 11:29:46 PM
Quote from: Percy on January 27, 2017, 08:30:36 PM
.  .   .   .   .   Nice log!! That stuff grows around there?? WRC log prices here are whacko high! I cant afford to build a fence :D :D :D

There's people out there with VERY deep pockets.
Sometimes wish I was one of them.  :D

The logs are trucked in from BC, we turn them into log homes.
We've been working on spiral staircases for a while now.
Design calls for a standing big honking tree with 10" by 20" by 60" treads. makes for 17 treads on each staircase.
Great potential for jamming up the guide arm!  ::)
Ya, my pockets are deep.....because there is big holes in the bottom of them... ::) When Im not too stiff, I can scratch my knees through them.
From what I've seen, that big money thing aint all its cracked up to be.

Regardless, you have found a great niche cutting choice WRC into unique products. Its what these small mills were originally designed for....I think....

Bandmill Bandit

The LT28, LT30, LT35, LT40 And the LT40 Super are all built on the same basic frame so your comments are just as valid as any of the rest of us with a saw mill.

That is a nice log on you mill.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

4x4American

Quote from: Percy on January 27, 2017, 10:38:07 AM
Thanks for the responses. I will try the teflon spray and the paraffin concoction. My guide arm rollers are possibly too tight.  Another thing is the lt70 rollers are horizontal as opposed to vertical on the 40-50. Perhaps the sawdust crud don't get a chance to fall out as easily   Regardless, I'll quit whining now. Thanks again.

That could be a possibility...my guide arm rollers get plugged up with wet sawdust frequently and sometimes I cant move the arm til I clean it, or worse, I can move the arm but it twists, if you watch it closely it will twist and move the blade where it shouldn't.  I keep a sharp O-ring pick near the headrig and anytime it needs it I pick the rollers clean.  My rollers are really tight, really really tight.  I know it's true because the motor told me so
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!