iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spiral sliced ham

Started by luvmexfood, January 28, 2017, 03:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvmexfood

Local grocery store had some fully cooked spiral sliced hams on sale for .99 a pound. Bought a half but it's a little too sweet for my taste. Was wondering if soaking in water, soaking in salt water or maybe a mustard type glaze might help. Any suggestions on what my pull some of the sweetness out of it.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

luvmexfood

Looked through several cookbooks and saw a bunch of recipes for different cuts of pork with kraut and cooked apples on it. Was apprehensive but thought hey, got the ham, kraut and a jar of canned apples. Gave it a try. Let me tell you the combination of the kraut and apples over the ham sure was a pot licker.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Woodcutter_Mo

Kraut.. as in sourkraut? I bet that alone tamed down the sweetness of the ham. Never heared of sourkraut in combination with apples, if that's what you're talking about I might have to give that a try :o
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Raider Bill

I generally toss in a granny smith apple or 2 with my kraut and pork
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

fishpharmer

Need to try that combo now, thanks luvmexfood and Raider Bill.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Raider Bill

I like to crock pot cook.

I'll take some small red potatoes and put them on the bottom of the crock then take a pork tenderloin and cut slashes in the top of the loin then put apple wedges in the cuts then kraut on top.

DELISH!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

21incher

Fry some up in a pan with hot peppers.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

drobertson

I might be tempted to smoke it low and slow again with a drip pan of water below,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sandhills

Quote from: drobertson on February 03, 2017, 08:17:09 AM
I might be tempted to smoke it low and slow again with a drip pan of water below,
That's exactly what I was thinking/wondering about, I would make sure to use plenty of water though.  I love ham  digin_2

DelawhereJoe

Me I was thinking wash it off in the sink as best you can, drop it into a crockpot with cabbage and some potatoes.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Thank You Sponsors!