iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

anti freeze in water stove

Started by xlogger, February 08, 2017, 08:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

We are getting to the point now where we might want to go off in the winter and let the stove run out. I would think anti freeze would be costly. I could put a return valve in the house and let the pump run I guess. What do some of you do in a case like this?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Bandmill Bandit

The anti freeze you run in a boiler is generally not the same as a vehicle and is not that bad a price.

Once you got it in the system leave it there. I run mine year around.
This link may help you out.

http://outdoorwoodburningboilers.com/boilerWaterChemistry/shouldYouUseAntifreezeInBoiler.shtml
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

xlogger

Thanks for that info. I read it and I think I'll just a 3 way valve just inside the house to turn the water back to the stove. By doing this and running the stove all the time while I'm gone that means the solenoid will run all the time also. Wonder will this be bad?
I have a CB 5036
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Bandmill Bandit

I actually run a fluid to fluid heat exchanger in my system so that the water in the house and shop never see the boiler at all. The boiler loops have distilled water/anti freeze mix. The building loops have treated water.

The boiler loop holds about 8 gallons max. The solenoid should cycle as per setting I would think but I am not familiar with your system.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

xlogger

So how do any of you leave your CB stoves if you leave home say for a week in the winter?

gspren

I have a Portage & Main OWB filled with a mixture of water and Cryo-tek boiler antifreeze. The past few years we have a second home at the beach we go to about a week per month so I do this often. I shut the stove and circulators down while it is still half full of wood and put a metal bucket on the stack since I don't use a chimney cap. When I get home it takes very little to restart the charred wood and get things going, don't forget to remove the bucket. Depends on your expected lowest temps what mixture of antifreeze/water you need.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

xlogger

I've about decided on just putting in a 3 way valve in inside my basement and returning the water back out to stove. Probably cheaper that buying any type of anti freeze. But thanks for reminding me about putting a bucket over the chimney. Now to find a metal bucket.
gspren So your stove holds some heat when you do that for a week?

gspren

An old galvanized minnow bucket with straight sides fits mine perfectly. The stove it's self wouldn't freeze in a week but some of the lines might, I also have boiler water pumped into a small out building and through an old cast iron radiator, those maybe would freeze. How cold does it get where you are?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

xlogger

Once in a while it gets into the single digits.
The only water lines I would worry much about are the ones below the stove going into the ground. The rest are under ground good with the big insulated pipe they sell.

E Yoder

I just run continuously any pump that goes through an area that might freeze. That's in VA where we're not below 0℉ ever.
Boiler antifreeze is propelyne glycol which can be pretty pricey if you treat the whole furnace. And it can get acidic, definitely need to test ph occasionally. 
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

Thank You Sponsors!