iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2017 Possible Trip

Started by GAB, February 20, 2017, 02:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAB

To All FF members especially those in Western Canada & the Northern U. S.

We, my wife and I, are in the planning stage of a summer trip.  The primary objective was to be above the Arctic Circle (AC) for the longest daylight day (6/21) of this year either in Alaska, YT or NWT.

My thinking was that there should be a campground in close proximity of the AC.  I have since been informed that that is not a good idea to try a get that close to the N. Pole towing a travel trailer, (maybe that is why Santa Clause flies) because of the roads and the long distances between fuel stations.

If we change our objective to just getting above the AC, do any of you have any recommendations on what we can expect.  Also do any of you have suggestions of touristy places to visit, forget zoos.
Any warnings or cautions we need to be aware of would be appreciated.

Some of the secondary and tertiary objectives would be to visit a few FF members and hopefully see a bevel sider up close and possibly in use.

The current preliminary plan is to go through Que., Ont. and the western provinces on the way west and north.  From above the AC down through BC, WA, OR, ID, WY, SD, ND, MN, WI, the UP, MI, I-75 to I-90 to I-87 and then the back roads home.

Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

pabst79

Your trip sounds like an awesome adventure, getting that far North is on my bucket for sure. I don't know if the travel has improved but 10 years ago a family friend went on a guided tour up that way, I remember him saying something about big buses with swamp tires? I think a trailer could really cause you trouble, I've never been further North then mid Manitoba or Saskatchewan and we've had plenty of troubles over the years with trailers (bent axles, burned up bearings etc.) so many washboarded sand and dirt roads. If you get there make sure to get a picture with Santa!  :snowball: :)
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Magicman

We spent the night of June 20, 1997 at the Arctic Circle on the Dalton Highway.

There was no campground as such, but there was a sorta rest area that was plenty large enough for several vehicles, RV's or trucks.  We were in a 26' Class C motorhome and had no real issues.  Just take it slowly on the Dalton/Haul Road and give the trucks plenty of room.

We got certificates verifying our accomplishment.

Heck, I even bought a cap.   ;D

We drove from Fairbanks to the AC, watched the sun not set about "midnight", slept a bit, and then drove back.

Be aware that from about Dawson Creek North, it never really gets dark so get some darkening window shades unless you like to sleep in the daytime.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Gearbox

MM don't miss Dawson city Yucon .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

GAB

Quote from: Gearbox on February 20, 2017, 02:59:51 PM
MM don't miss Dawson city Yucon .

Gearbox Sir:
You have gotten my curiosity aroused by your statement.
Is there something there that I should put on to do list of items,
or is it so small that if I sneeze I'll miss the entire city.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

GAB

Quote from: pabst79 on February 20, 2017, 02:50:06 PM
Your trip sounds like an awesome adventure, getting that far North is on my bucket for sure. I don't know if the travel has improved but 10 years ago a family friend went on a guided tour up that way, I remember him saying something about big buses with swamp tires? I think a trailer could really cause you trouble, I've never been further North then mid Manitoba or Saskatchewan and we've had plenty of troubles over the years with trailers (bent axles, burned up bearings etc.) so many washboarded sand and dirt roads. If you get there make sure to get a picture with Santa!  :snowball: :)

My plan is to pick up the new-to-me travel trailer in mid-April and get the brakes checked, the bearings changed and put on some "D" rated tires.  I'm told those are the highest ply rated tires available in that tire size.  Also I bought another tire so I will have 2 spares for the trailer.

Now according to the sign with MM & Pat, the AC starts at 66* 33' latitude and I always thought that Santa's domicile was in a building with the epicenter such that all sides faced South and if a bear walks by it is white.  I was not planning on going that far North.

The camera is on the list of things to bring, but I'll probably forget that I've got it, so do not put your hopes up.
Gerald

Magicman

Actually the city of North Pole, AK is just South of Fairbanks.   ;D

If we ever make the trip again, we will go North from Whitehorse to Dawson City and then follow the Top of the World highway to Tok.  We missed that loop last time.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andries

MM, did you mean "Tuk"?
That's the slang for Tuktoyaktuk, Northwest Territories.
I don't think that the road has been completed to Tuk just yet - thats due to happen this fall/winter.
Us Canuks call it the Dempster Highway - from Dawson City to Inuvik is about 450 miles, through some of the most beautiful country imaginable.
I spent my first five years as a Federal biologist out of Aklavik (Google maps is your friend) doing fish and wildlife surveys. Good memories.
If you make the trip GAB, you'll have an experience very few others have had.
It was a while ago, some of my buddies may remember me . . .

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Brucer

Quote from: GAB on February 20, 2017, 03:51:53 PM
... I always thought that Santa's domicile was in a building with the epicenter such that all sides faced South and if a bear walks by it is white.  I was not planning on going that far North.

That's good, 'cause in the summer the white bears would be swimming by (and so would you)  :D :D.

The white bears consider humans to be prey. Seriously.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Brucer

... and Gerald, we live just north of the Washington-BC border in the interior. The road south goes all the way down to Spokane, WA if you are headed in that general direction. Come on by if you're going to be in this neck of the woods.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

GAB

Quote from: Brucer on February 21, 2017, 01:54:15 AM
... and Gerald, we live just north of the Washington-BC border in the interior. The road south goes all the way down to Spokane, WA if you are headed in that general direction. Come on by if you're going to be in this neck of the woods.

Thanks for the invite.
The route has not been determined yet, however I have a cousin that I believe is in Vancouver, and my wife has a cousin on the western side of Oregon that are on the visit list.  I'll have to pull out the maps and see where you are before making a final decision.
Gerald

Magicman

No Andries, I meant Tok, AK.  It's North (actually West) of where the Taylor Hwy (5) intersects with the Alaskan Hwy (2).  The Taylor Hwy is called the Top of the World Hwy and goes through Chicken.

Gerald, be sure to carry a sign to post at the Watson Lake Signpost Forest.  We have one there somewhere??

Andries

MM: gotcha.
Towards Alaska from Dawson, and here I was thinking from Dawson North to the Arctic Ocean.

Gerald, Gearbox might be thinking that you'd enjoy Dawson because it was the home of the Klondike Gold Rush, back in the day.
It's kept a historical look, and is very tourist friendly in the summer, book ahead if you can.
Old time saloons, Klondike Kate's and Diamond Tooth Gerties' are big attractions, with 'Family' rated shows of 1890's barroom dancers. Old steamboats were pulled up on the river banks and there's plenty to see and do for a few days.
Couple of notes on Northern travel;
- The further North you go, the more gravel roads are the norm.
- Mud flaps and a trailer protector (looks like a floor broom hanging from the hitch) keep your trailer from getting that sandblasted look.
- Distances between gas stations increase, the further North you go.
- Fuel prices here in the Prairies are just under a buck per litre. But the the USD$ is worth about 25 - 30% more than our CAD$ 'metric' bucks.
- Cell service in Southern Canada is pretty much the same as what you get in the Northern States. Further North into BC and Alberta, gets spotty.
- Canadian Border people expect you to have a passport, and that you've left any firearms at home.
- "My thinking was that there should be a campground in close proximity of the Arctic Circle". Lynn has the camping experience, mine is based on work travel. . . but from what I've seen, where you pull off the highway is where your campground is.

If your plans include passing through Winnipeg, MB. there's a standing invitation for you and yours.  ;D
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

GAB

Andries:
Thanks for all the information.
My plan was to go through or around Winnipeg.  So yes I will take you up on your offer.
Again thanks,
Gerald

Raider Bill

Last year a rider I know tried to pass through Canada on his way to the Arctic Circle. Because of a 91 DWI conviction here in the US he was not allowed entry.

He was riding with a group of 4 / 2 up bikes and had to turn back.

The Arctic Circle is on my bucket list. Was all set to make the trip a few years ago but spent my "gas" money on more land in Tenn. Now the plan is to do it with a friend when we turn 65 in 2 years.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Andries

Yeah. International Borders can be like that.
Back in the Seventies, show up with long hair and a drivers license and a couple questions later, you're good to go.
Times have changed.

Bill; you're talking about a 3000 mi. round trip on bikes.
That's one Heck of a trip!
Jake Dean might be up for the adventure too, 150 hours of high speed dirt biking in clean air might tempt . . .   ;)
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Magicman

When we went the weather was not always clear and the dust treatment on the roads made a mess with vehicles.  Just me, but a motorcycle would not be my choice mode of transportation.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Andries on February 21, 2017, 03:28:39 PM
Yeah. International Borders can be like that.
Back in the Seventies, show up with long hair and a drivers license and a couple questions later, you're good to go.
Times have changed.

Bill; you're talking about a 3000 mi. round trip on bikes.
That's one Heck of a trip!
Jake Dean might be up for the adventure too, 150 hours of high speed dirt biking in clean air might tempt . . .   ;)
Quote from: Magicman on February 21, 2017, 04:54:39 PM
When we went the weather was not always clear and the dust treatment on the roads made a mess with vehicles.  Just me, but a motorcycle would not be my choice mode of transportation.

I ride a bike more than a car or my pickup. All part of the journey... This bike trip has been in my dreams for many years.

About as short a trip there is according to google maps is just a tad over 5200 miles or 84hrs one way drive time from here in beautiful sunny Largo, Florida to the Arctic Circle sign north of Fairbanks AK. That's car time, solid driving. On a bike and not going such a direct route I figure 3-4 weeks stopping at interesting places and freeloading off FF friends along the way ;)  ;D. Coming back I'd put the bike on a ferry in Anchorage and sail south, recovering my sore body to Seattle/Vancouver area then ride along the west coast of Washington, Oregon, and California. Somewhere along the route I'd cut back east. I've never been to Vegas and don't want to miss the Grand Canyon or Utah so I'd just wander back home hitting whatever spots along the way. Probably figure 6-8 week total.

Figure 12-14k miles, 5-8 weeks, set of tires, couple oil changes, pocket full of cash/plastic personality and a tall bottle of unscented monkey butt powder.

Magicman

We crossed the border into Alaska on our 10th day of travel, and the total trip was a bit over 13K miles.

GAB

MM:
I pull out the YT, BC, & AK maps and sure enough I found Tok and Chicken.  I am going to try and see both.  I hope I do not sneeze as one of those the map said population 24.

Bill:
I would not go on a motorcycle as I like more metal around me when I travel.  If you go by bike I would suggest at least one spare tire if not two and tools enough to fix a flat.

As an FYI: One of my uncles got pulled over at a border crossing (US side) because they detected nuclear radiation.  He had had a nuclear stress test a few days before.
Gerald

Magicman

Raider Bill

Quote from: Magicman on February 21, 2017, 09:57:45 PM
A copy of the Milepost is not an option, it is required. http://www.themilepost.com/
I buy a copy every year, and dream.
A good friend made the trip from here a couple years ago. He did it on a Valkyrie pulling a trailer.

sandhills

Made one of the trips with my uncle when I was 14 (I think) in his '55, he's gone now and last summer I had to get it ready for his son to take it back up there for it's final trip, I'll miss it  :-\ but never forget that trip, ours was only 2500 miles or so.  Have a great trip Gerald!

Andries

That truck has a super impressive log book.
Wow! She's a survivor.
Back in the seventies the crawler loaders repairing the road outnumbered the vehicles.

Summer in the North is fun, with 24 hrs daylight.
Ever wonder what passes for fun when its dark 24 hrs a day?

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/02/19/yukon-hair-freezing_n_14862220.html

Fun is where you find it . . .
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

Seems that this trip is no longer a "Possible' trip - GAB and his lovely wife are on the road.
They've made it to the 'Great Frozen Yonder' as WDH likes to say.
From Northern Vermont to Winnipeg, Manitoba. Canada.
Teea and I brought him a bottle of red wine, and he presented us with a jug of . . . maple syrup!

The four of us had a fine visit in their spanking new camper trailer, and compared notes on milling and the Forum. He especially enjoyed the Great Grits Caper of 2014. Check it out under "Crime Does Pay", by the very well known MagicMan.

His next port of call is Lumsden, Saskatchewan. @jrwoelk is next on his list of Western Canadian Forumites to visit - enroute to ( ;D not making this up) Frostfoot, Alaska.

Wishing GAB and Michelena many happy days on their adventure!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!