iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dust mask

Started by Farm29, March 04, 2017, 10:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farm29

I have been told that ERC dust can be very harmful and was told I should were a mask when sawing it.  I have never worried about it before but after someone said something it got me thinking what do you guys think/do.  Not crazy about wearing a mask I always do when cleaning grain bins but would rather not when I'm outside sawing ????
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

Magicman

I never saw anything without my mask on.

Mask, ear & eye protection, steel toe boots, gloves & hat.  I use the 3M mask with the exhalation valve:   LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

Breathing any sawdust is considered harmful, just some a re way more harmful than others.

Generally the more durable the wood, the nastier the chemicals it contains. Things like cedar, walnut and various tropical exotics produce all sorts of nasty chemicals to help them resist decay and bugs. Just because they are "natural", doesn't mean they aren't nasty.

So it's fairly well documented that guys that worked in cedar mills in the old days had lots more lung problems as they got older. Now commercial mills have better dust extraction, and breathing protection is more common when needed.

Allergic reactions are also more common with that sort of wood, and obviously you don't want to get an allergic reaction in your lungs.

So if you find yourself working in a cloud of cedar sawdust because the wind is swirling around, break out a dust mask for sure.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

coppolajc10

Yep, didn't think much about it when I started a few years ago, but after coming home after day of sawing and coughing up a storm finally started wearing a mask.  Hemlock, black locust, black walnut, oak, (and others) like Ianab said durable wood comes from strong natural chemicals, all stuff I've been sawing over the past few years.  I've tried the 3M masks and don't work for me.  My dad got me a "dust bee gone" washable reusable mask (http://dustbeegone.com/dustmask.html) and I can wear it no problems so far.  Take it home and wash it in the sink and it's like new.  No more agitation in the lungs when I get home either.  Gotta take care of yourself. 

Ricker

I have just started wearing a dust mask for all sawing.  What kicked in the pants was a builder of traditional birch bark canoes passed away recently and the cause was cancer of the sinus.  The guy telling me about it said the doc said he was 95% sure it was sawdust that caused the cancer.  I researched a little and sure enough it is a cause of sinus cancer.   

Robert Owens

The best part of using the 3M valved respirator mask that MM shows above is it is the only one I have found that does not fog up my safety glasses while using it. I was a shop teacher for 20 years and it is imperative that one either has a good dust collection system or wears a mask when dealing with sawdust from any tree.

4x4American

I got those 3m ones with the valve but they don't work for me.  I have a big honkin nose and a supersize chin, so I haven't found any respirator or mask that works.  plus I wear glasses and the breath
gets deflected and fogs them up.  Anyone know of a custom face mask company?  I was looking at some of my fathers old mx pictures and noticed they all wore bandanas around their face.  He said it was to keep from breathing in all the crud.  I might try that.  I'll get a 5 micron bandana lol
Boy, back in my day..

Farm29

Thank you for the replies Im new to sawmill so haven't sawed much but will defiantly get some masks.  I new in the back of my head it wasn't the best but to stubborn to wear one but I will know. 
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

Kbeitz

E-bay....

Pro Series Rider Dust Mask, Extra Large, Filter Blocks Up To 99.9% Of Dust Parts
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

petefrom bearswamp

Hey 4x4 you are a combination of Jimmy Durante and Jay Leno?
this thread has given me food for thought.
I only get the sawdust near me when the wind is swirling and in the wrong direction.
I saw mostly with the rubber chute up but put it down when the wind is wrong.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

ButchC

This is a timely thread for this rookie sawyer. I sawed my first Walnut Saturday, just a couple shorts that most wouldn't have fooled with, maybe an hours total sawing but I was double cutting with the Peterson which tosses more dust toward the operator and the wind was coming my way too.  Sunday I woke up with very irritated sinuses and red eyes. I am normally not overly sensitive  but obviously I need to get my sawing PPE in order.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

SlowJoeCrow

I have used quite a few different dust masks over the years...right now I have an Elise P100 mask - it's great, the best mask I have ever used!  I would highly recommend it... it is the first mask that I don't mind wearing, which says alot!  The mask is reusable, with replaceable filters.

Czech_Made

I use ERC to make shelves and furniture pieces and it sure makes me sick to run it through a planer without breathing mask.

Farmerjw

Rocker has quite the selection of dust masks, some are washable.   http://www.rockler.com/search/go?w=dust%20mask%20respirator   

I often wonder if 50 years from now all people will wear a dust mask doing their daily tasks.
Premier Bovine Scatologist

Kbeitz

Quote from: Farmerjw on March 07, 2017, 11:17:52 AM
Rocker has quite the selection of dust masks, some are washable.   http://www.rockler.com/search/go?w=dust%20mask%20respirator   

I often wonder if 50 years from now all people will wear a dust mask doing their daily tasks.
Not if they are dumb like me and just to stubborn to do it.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

CTYank

Another vote here for the sort of mask MagicMan spoke of. Been getting into chainsaw milling of p/u-loads of hickory, black locust and sugar maple. Often I'm in the midst of a cloud of wood-flour, which I was not designed to breathe. Much more such work awaits.

Another potential gotcha- one big sugar maple I'm working on has sections that are "spalted", invaded in wave-fashion by fungi. Those fungi can mess up some sinuses something terrible, for many weeks. DAMHIKT.

When it starts breezing-up I've got to find suitable means of keeping that poo out of my eyes too.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

buzzegray

I never thought about it much. After reading these and other post, I bought two of the mask mentioned here. One for me and one for my wife who helps me.

Magicman

They are much more economical to buy online in the box(es) of 10 which is less than $1.50 each.  They regularly sell for $6-7 each in stores.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Farm29

I'm glad I brought up this topic sounds like a few other including me will be breathing a little easier from know on.  Thanks for the replies
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

4x4American

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on March 06, 2017, 08:29:55 AM
Hey 4x4 you are a combination of Jimmy Durante and Jay Leno?
this thread has given me food for thought.
I only get the sawdust near me when the wind is swirling and in the wrong direction.
I saw mostly with the rubber chute up but put it down when the wind is wrong.

lol lol lol

I do have a Jay Leno chin, but I guess my nose isn't as big as Jimmy Durante!  Holy honker that guy has!  I do remember in high school on time, I went up to get a tissue to blow my nose, and the teacher goes "take 2 you have a big nose"  and I was about rolling on the floor laughing so hard!
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Quote from: coppolajc10 on March 04, 2017, 11:58:50 PM
Yep, didn't think much about it when I started a few years ago, but after coming home after day of sawing and coughing up a storm finally started wearing a mask.  Hemlock, black locust, black walnut, oak, (and others) like Ianab said durable wood comes from strong natural chemicals, all stuff I've been sawing over the past few years.  I've tried the 3M masks and don't work for me.  My dad got me a "dust bee gone" washable reusable mask (http://dustbeegone.com/dustmask.html) and I can wear it no problems so far.  Take it home and wash it in the sink and it's like new.  No more agitation in the lungs when I get home either.  Gotta take care of yourself.

Thanks for the lead on this.  Me and the saleslady are playing phone tag but I'll be getting a couple of them.  One for me and one for my worker, with a side of fries.
Boy, back in my day..

coppolajc10

Quote from: 4x4American on March 09, 2017, 09:40:01 PM
Thanks for the lead on this.  Me and the saleslady are playing phone tag but I'll be getting a couple of them.  One for me and one for my worker, with a side of fries.

smiley_thumbsup

safdchief2

When it comes to protecting your health, price should be a consideration but not the only criteria. After 40 years in the Fire Service it is just now coming to light that Fire Fighters have a 68% chance of getting some sort of cancer! A lot of that is due to inhalation hazards. That being said, I prefer the half face respirators over the N95 dust masks. Mostly because they are available in a variety of sizes to better fit the face. I also echo the comments on eye, feet, hand and hearing protection.
WM 1995 LT40HD OnanG24 - Farmall M - Selfmade 32" log arch - 2011 FLHTCU FFSE

4x4American

I got the Dust Bee Gone one. In XL.  It fits!  And it don't fog up your glasses if you breath the right way.  I can't see myself wearing it when it's hot out, unless absolutely necessary.  But I like it and told them where I heard aboot it eh
Boy, back in my day..

tule peak timber

X2 on the dust be gone masks. I bought them for everyone in the shop- a good investment.  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Thank You Sponsors!