Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar get your name in

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Contract feller  (Read 2859 times)

Offline nativewolf

• Forester
    • Share Post
Re: Contract feller
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2017, 08:18:42 AM »
As far as the liability he was bonded and insured. A local amish logging company.  I have to say that I have seen some bad sites after logging not many but enough to know good from bad.  And this fellow did a nice job. Now there's tops and firewood to clean up but I told him to leave it as I would clean it up.  As far as charging he charged .12 a board foot (120 per thousand) to cut and to skid. Now the band milling and trying to find a kiln to dry 40k bd ft... that is going to be the to the tough part!!

Did they use horses/mules to skid?  Do you have pictures of the logging site, just curious as to how they cut/skid.
Liking Walnut

Offline TKehl

• Senior Member x2
  • Certified Contrarian
    • Share Post
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2017, 08:23:51 AM »
If you're using this for a barn, air dried should be sufficient.  (Unless you are talking about a climate controlled barn.)  If kiln dried, it would move some as it regains moisture. 
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline Garlic

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2017, 08:32:12 PM »
He used a lot impact skidder. Most was done with a tracked skidsteer.  I will take some pictures tomorrow.  They did grade all the trails when done.  It was raining most of the time they were cutting but the ground is good draining and it wasn't to bad other than the lay down yard.

Offline nativewolf

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2017, 08:42:20 PM »
Amish using skidder?  Interesting, I always wondered what they did when skidding.  Or felling for that matter
Liking Walnut

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2017, 01:39:11 AM »
Might be mennonite, they allow more technology but look pretty similar otherwise.
Revelation 3:20

Offline Garlic

• Share Post
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2017, 09:28:17 AM »
Well here around Middlefield Ohio there's a gaggle of amish.  And don't kid yourself most have dozer's and skidder's they wouldn't stay in business if there only used horses!! They will used them but the price paid for trees goes down due to production cost.  And yes they have cell phones and house phones with fax machine etc... they just don't use cell at home and the house phone is not connected to the house. 

Offline TKehl

• Senior Member x2
  • Certified Contrarian
    • Share Post
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2017, 05:12:42 PM »
Each community will determine it's own rules, though they are fairly similar. 

There are a few communities near us.  One allows about any equipment to be used for business purposes, but transport is horse and there is one phone line for a long list of businesses.  Another allows equipment, but no pneumatic tires.  They use solid wheel bicycles and modern tractors with rubber laid over custom steel wheels.  (Personally I think it would be great for brush hogging!)  Third one I know of allows engines for powering equipment, but not transportation.  So there will be an engine on a cart powering the PTO and hydraulics of say a round baler, but it's pulled by horses.
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Cat 227 FB feller

Started by Ken 45lc on Forestry and Logging

5 Replies
Last post October 11, 2011, 08:10:10 PM
by rkultra
xx
What's a feller to do?

Started by JoeyLowe on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post July 28, 2002, 09:09:53 PM
by ARKANSAWYER