iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

quarter sawing for fleck

Started by Florida boy, March 17, 2017, 12:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florida boy

I have a 17' x 22-30" white oak log in the yard that I would like to mill up. I have a manual mp32 mill. I would like to quartersaw the log for furniture making and other wood working projects. I have quartersawn some white oak a few months ago but the logs were 10' or so. my question is should I cut the log in half to get the Ray fleck to stay in the whole board? I have a feeling that with 8" or so of taper that if I mill the log at 17' only part of each board will have the fleck. would it be easier to stay in the fleck better with 8' logs? the log has no knots and is very straight with tight growth rings. just don't want to buck it down unless I need to to get all the fleck I can. thanks.

drobertson

If you have not seen the thread on reverse roll quarter sawing it would be worth your time to review it.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,93851.0.html
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Florida boy

yes I've read it very informative. some one even did it with a mp32. I plan on using that  method.

btulloh

Are you planning to use full length 17's oak for a specific project?  It would be a lot easier to saw 8 footers unless you really need 17' lumber.
HM126

Kcwoodbutcher

Most trees twist as they grow, so the longer the log the more twist you have. You can start a cut at 90 degrees to the rings but by the time you reach the end of the cut you're out of the fleck. Cut them in the shortest length appropriate for your project, within reason.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

YellowHammer

The shorter the log, the less variables, and the easier to stay in the fleck.  I prefer 8 footers, although I have done longer. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

kelLOGg

Quote from: Florida boy on March 17, 2017, 12:58:23 PM
yes I've read it very informative. some one even did it with a mp32. I plan on using that  method.

I am interested in your experience using the MP32 to RRQS. We have the same mill.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

scsmith42

I would encourage you to cut the log into two logs, primarily due to yield loss.

Lumber yield from a log is typically determined by the small end diameter of the log.  If you cut the 17 footer into a pair of 8'6" logs, odds are that one log will have a larger small end diameter and yield more material.

From your comments about only having ray fleck visible in part of the board it sounds as if you are not centering the pith on the the log before making your opening cuts.  When quartersawing, if you don't center pith on both planes you will produce boards with fleck only on one end of the board.

To center the pith, simply raise your toe boards or wedge the small end of the log away from the deck until you have the same distance from the pith to your blade on each end of the log.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Florida boy

once i get to quartersawing  them I will for sure take lots of pics. on my mill I have the screw type clamps instead if the cam type. I will see how RRQS works with my style and report back.
    looks like most are in agreement. its probably best to buck the log in half.

Florida boy

yes I just about always level the pith on the mill with any type of sawing.  but if u have a wondering or crooked pith you do the best you can. the first and only log I have quartersawn was pretty knarly. it was right before tthr tree forked and had a single pith on one end and a double pith in the other. the boards where I did get Ray fleck had them throughout the board. also it had some curly aspects in parts of the boards. just planed them up the other night. I'll post a few pics if I can.

Thank You Sponsors!