iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The wise old owl

Started by paul case, March 17, 2017, 06:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul case

We had a strange occurance here this morning. There was an large owl sitting on top the cab of my 1ton chevy out in the drive. We have determined it has an injured leg and lit on my truck cause it was easier. He was sitting up in a normal position but when we finally shoo d him away he more like fell off and that was about it. Thats not all he did all over my truck cab and running down the windshield. Gives new meaning to ''slicker than greased owl dodo''.

My wife's gma always said that if you hear an owl that someone you know is gona die. But aren't we all gona die sooner or later? I have been pretty sickly lately. Maybe its me?

Anyone else having weird animal stuff going on right now?
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

coxy

if that's the case i shouldn't have anyone left that i know cause in turkey season they hoot all the time  and then the turkeys gobble

sprucebunny

Poor old owl.... and truck.

Weird ??? Porkypine invasion.  sling_shot
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

btulloh

Every time I walk outside at night I hear owls. The undertaker must be pretty busy.  :(

Sorry about that mess on your truck.
HM126

WV Sawmiller

Reminds me of a post one of my WM (Women Marine not Woodmizer in this case) clerks had on her desk went as something like as follows:

There was an old owl who lived in an oak
The less he spoke the more he heard
Why don't we all learn from that wise old bird

Thinking back that young lady was the first one who ever taught me how to turn on a computer. My 50 person staff had dwindled to 20 and I no longer had anyone to type cover letters for my reports so she taught me so I could do them myself.

(She also showed me a couple of Feminine hygiene pads made great padding under your ALICE pack straps when training for an IG march. I don't remember if it was her or another WM who showed me a Kotex worked great to clean the well in the stock where the buffer spring resided. Serving with women added a whole new dimension to being in the military. I had some very professional women working for and with me and I treasure those memories.)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

coxy

reminds me of my neighbor in deer season with tampons hanging out of trees with deer sent on them the first time i saw them i was like what the    is going on here  :)

DelawhereJoe

I found an owl walking one day in a park in Florida, he had changed his was and was out all day long. People started feeding him fish, as you would real them in he would swoop down and grab the fish before they made it back to the dock. The owl was there so often they even put up a sign saying DON'T FEED THE OWL.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Chuck White

Been there, done that myself Coxy!   It works just as well as the store-bought stuff!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

DJoe,

Several years back wife and I vacationed in southern Africa and stayed at a campground on a river that was the border between Namibia and Angola. There were lots of monkeys in the camp and at the office they had a sign:

"Don't feed the monkeys - they already eat better than the staff."

The owner would shoot them with a paint ball gun and as soon as they saw him they would run but return as soon as he was out of sight. We finished breakfast the last day there and were all looking at the last piece of French toast and sausage. Everybody wanted it but were being polite leaving it for the others till a monkey solved the problem by grabbing both and heading to the top of the trees. When I started to load the truck there was one in the back looking for something to steal. I had to duck and he jumped over me to escape.

I never had an owl fish steal from me but I did hook one on the Suannee River near Old Town one time on a big rubber worm. I pulled him down into the river but he floated then got up and escaped with my lure. I've heard of others who hooked them at night on a noisy topwater lure like a Jitterbug.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Autocar

Around my part of the county there's a saying when a Dove sets on your house roof someone going to die. Maybe thats why all the hardware stores sell horn owl decoys  :D.
Bill

paul case

He was gone this morning. Thanks a lot for pooping on my truck mr owl.

PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

Den Socling

WV Sawmiller, you certainly have had an interesting life. I always enjoy your post. Thank you.

barbender

I get frequent nosebleeds, on several occasions the only thing available was a tampon. Worked quite well :D
Too many irons in the fire

coxy

Quote from: barbender on March 19, 2017, 01:12:38 PM
I get frequent nosebleeds, on several occasions the only thing available was a tampon. Worked quite well :D
ummm I'm at a word loss  :D :D

Magicman

Word loss??  I'm about to loose my mind !!!   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on March 19, 2017, 09:01:26 PM
I'm about to loose my mind !!!   :o

Ain't much left.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: coxy on March 19, 2017, 08:49:36 PM
ummm I'm at a word loss  :D :D

I'm not....but I'll be like the Owl in the Oak.  ;D

WV Sawmiller

Hey, we are sawmillers. We have to be open to change and be flexible. I understand some support groups here in the USA sent care packages to the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan and some of the male Marines/troops got packages intended for the women and found the tampons were great wound dressing. In some cases I heard troops lives were saved by plugging a gunshot or shrapnel wound with a tampon. I also heard Pantyhose were in great demand at the start of Desert storm as filters on the intakes for the tanks. Kept the dust out better than the factory design filters.
Howard Green

Roxie

Well, aren't you just the McGyver of ladies products.   :D
Say when

coxy

WV Sawmiller

Roxie & Coxie,

HaHa - I was driven to it.

Lets not forget clear (colored if no clear available but takes some explaining especially if the nether areas are involved) nail polish on chigger bites.
Howard Green

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Roxie on March 20, 2017, 03:56:27 PM
Well, aren't you just the McGyver of ladies products.   :D

:D :D :D Oh my side.... :D :D :D....you're killing me!.... :D :D :D

paul case

WOW!
How did we get here?

Most of these conversations turn to food but this one.....
PC
pc

WV Sawmiller

??? ??? What did you expect? Do you want my grandma's recipe for owl and dumplings?
Howard Green

thecfarm

Maybe nose is dry? Another,not a great thing to talk about,but........... The logger that cuts for me had alot of nosebleeds. I told him I use vaseline every morning to keep my nose from being dry. He did not think that would work,or was the problem. He went to the doctor and he told him the same thing. Works for him. And me too.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!