iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

John Deere 440 models?

Started by gman98, March 18, 2017, 07:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman98

Hello guys.  I've been looking for a John Deere 440 as a first skidder to start with.  Looking for a 70's-80's model.  I'm seeing an 440a, b, c, and d.  I was wondering what model you guys think is the best of the different variations?

Thanks
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

OH logger

if your in flat country there is a 440 D GRAPPLE in the lumbermans equipment digest. it always seemed to me that that would be a great skidder. If you are in flat ground I would get a grapple. if you do you'll thank me later  :)
john

jdeere540a

Some of the first 440a's had a cast hub similar to a farm tractor and if they got run loss they would  wreck the hub and the axel. Nowadays thouse hubs are almost impossible to find. Anything b series and newer would be good. Lots of people say the d's were the best.

coxy

for a small skidder they are a beast but will flop over on a hen turd my uncle had one for 35 years worked by him self  he cut 3-4 tri axle loads of logs a week with it  i have been looking for one to use on small jobs but not paying 10-15k for one that's beat to crap the A,s had a lever to disengage the pto and i think one for the hydro pump to make it easy to start in the cold cant remember if the b,s was the same

snowstorm

Quote from: jdeere540a on March 18, 2017, 10:20:22 PM
Some of the first 440a's had a cast hub similar to a farm tractor and if they got run loss they would  wreck the hub and the axel. Nowadays thouse hubs are almost impossible to find. Anything b series and newer would be good. Lots of people say the d's were the best.
the hub was cast steel and the fix deere came up with 35 yrs ago was set the new one in expoxy. dont recall ever seeing one of them fail. a grapple skidder with a clutch? not a good idea not cutting by hand when it might take 15 trees to make a hitich

snowstorm

Quote from: coxy on March 19, 2017, 05:21:06 AM
for a small skidder they are a beast but will flop over on a hen turd my uncle had one for 35 years worked by him self  he cut 3-4 tri axle loads of logs a week with it  i have been looking for one to use on small jobs but not paying 10-15k for one that's beat to crap the A,s had a lever to disengage the pto and i think one for the hydro pump to make it easy to start in the cold cant remember if the b,s was the same
you could turn the pump off on all of them. they use a closed center piston pump. when you turn the screw in it destrokes the pump. shuts it off. so it cant pump while trying to start the motor in the cold

coxy

that's right the skidder had the screw the dozers had the little lever up front by the pump the lever on the skidder was to disengage the winch pto

tacks Y

Look the 440, 440A over for frame damage, they are a little weak if run hard. Not sure about the "B" but the "C" seems better. I think I have a spare hub or two plus axles. Tranny parts for the C are tough. 

Maine372

I recently ran a 440C for a weekend helping out a buddy. nimble in the woods and quiet to be around. but compared to some other machines ive run I found it to be a rough ride, small cab, and hard to get on/off.

for as narrow as they are, you sit pretty high up and feel every bump along the way. the cab is narrow which makes it hard to get in and out, and when you hit a bump the side of the cab likes to smack the side of your head.

AlexHart

The D models (and C's are pretty similar) are much better machines IMHO than the old ones.   I've got a 440D grapple and it does fine with the clutch.   I've also replaced the clutch and it really wasn't all that bad.   Or expensive for that matter.   I think it cost me 400ish bucks and a few days of work.   

They are however as noted horrendous to get in and out of regularly and they do ride very rough compared to bigger machines but as with most of life I guess that's give and take.   They are a lot cheaper to move and operate compared to big machines, obviously won't pull as much but that one I have is actually pretty feisty for a small skidder.   It'll pull a surprisingly nasty load in a straight line.   The limitation quickly comes if you have to do much turning the front end will just start waltzing on you if you have a big load behind you. 

If at all possible though I'd get a C or a D over an old one.   

ohiowoodchuck

There's a good deal on a 440c in Kentucky right now. I got a 440b and it's a good little machine. It does suck getting on and off of it. I would look around for a 230 jack, that's what I had my mine set in when I bought my Deere but I couldn't find a jack within 400 miles.
Education is the best defense against the media.

Woodhauler

440b on  c/l in maine, the guy is really proud of! 29900 asking price!!!!! Could have bought 5 new ones for that price in 1974
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

coxy

I seen that to  :D :D it better have seat feet and hand warmers and be able to run its self  :)

snowstorm

Seems like when the 440c came out they were 27k

BurkettvilleBob

Quote from: Woodhauler on March 19, 2017, 01:05:23 PM
440b on  c/l in maine, the guy is really proud of! 29900 asking price!!!!! Could have bought 5 new ones for that price in 1974
Oh come on, it's got one new tire and a fresh engine, surely 29,900 is a steal!

coxy

if he gets the asking price I'm going in the 440 skidder sales  :D :D

Maine logger88

Yeah that's crazy on that 440b you can find some g series machines for that lol! I wish you could still buy a new skidder for 27 heck even if a new one was 50 or 60k it wouldn't be worth messing with these old machines.
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

BargeMonkey

We had an A, friend of mine has a B, guy who works in our pit has a C, I have a late model 440D. Honestly, you need to ask yourself how much wood your looking to skid ? C-D models are around, you can buy a decent C for 8-18k. D's bring more and they are a better machine, newer style parking brake, little easier to work on. Frame is about 1ft longer. I like mine but you can't pound out enough wood in 1 day with a 440 unless the stuff is within sight of the truck. 3325 winch can be miserable, then you won't touch it for 1-2yrs. I'm seeing lower hr 640D's with a 4k or 6k winch bringing less than a 440D, 2x the machine. You couldn't pay me to try and run a 440 grapple around here unless it had 30.5 tires, the average operator would have that machine flopped by lunchtime. 😂

Maine logger88

You haven't had any trouble with your 3325 since you got that one from Harrolds have you? I'm still on one from 2010 and you know how I load my 540 :) haha! I agree on the 440D grapple plus they want 37k for it
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

ohiowoodchuck

I'd sell mine for 28,500 lol. I noticed a lot of that when I was shopping around. Seemed they were asking more for them used and wore out then what they was new.
Education is the best defense against the media.

AlexHart

I'm seeing lower hr 640D's with a 4k or 6k winch bringing less than a 440D, 2x the machine. You couldn't pay me to try and run a 440 grapple around here unless it had 30.5 tires, the average operator would have that machine flopped by lunchtime. 😂

Yeah a lot of truth/good points in that post.   You definitely have to mind your manners when you get on hilly terrain etc.   Can get ticklish in places where the 518C will just plow through without a second thought. 

I had to go look at this 30K 440B on Maine craigslist and to your point just a tiny bit down the page I see a 640D with 23.1's, raised arch, and even an enclosed cab for just 20K.    I'm thinking maybe that guy spent a bunch of money restoring the 440B, the wife is not too happy, he promised her he'd try to sell it but doesn't really want to...  one of those deals maybe.   That would explain the "no tire kicker" part confidently thrown in there to absolutely ensure the phone never rings :) 

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Maine logger88 on March 19, 2017, 09:38:53 PM
You haven't had any trouble with your 3325 since you got that one from Harrolds have you? I'm still on one from 2010 and you know how I load my 540 :) haha! I agree on the 440D grapple plus they want 37k for it
That winch band has been flawless, I've bought parts from him 3x now and had great luck.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: AlexHart on March 19, 2017, 10:10:12 PM

I had to go look at this 30K 440B on Maine craigslist and to your point just a tiny bit down the page I see a 640D with 23.1's, raised arch, and even an enclosed cab for just 20K.   
I talked to him 3-4 months ago on that machine and asked him if he would take 20k and he said NO. I ship a few more load of logs and get my final drive fixed and half tempted to go with 17k in a bag of cash and offer him 15 to start, since I was a kid I've always wanted a 640D. 😂. Wanted to haggle with me over the spare tire and chains, Ive talked to "Mainelogger" about riding up to Skowhegan together and go look at it. She needs center pins, it's not bad but needs to be gone thru. I'm seeing more and more of them around, exactly why I question someone buying a 440, not a bad sized machine but I would cut for 1 day with my timbco and it would literally take me 1 wk to clean it up. 😂 10 sliders is a man killer though.

AlexHart

I have a soft spot for 640Ds myself.  All the D models really.   I used to haul for a fellow that had a beautiful one for just a summer before he traded it away and I have an image burned into my mind of that thing standing straight the **** up in the air right outside of my windshield as he was trying to pull my loaded log truck out of the mud.   After a lot of creaking and groaning it got it. 

The winch on that thing was so nasty that you had to be very careful pulling in a scattered load because if the log hung up square on a stump (which of course happens often) you only had a second to lay off or it'd just unmercifully snap the choker chain.     

barbender

I saw one in the Lumberman's magazine, that sakd  448 grapple. I'd never heard of one.
Too many irons in the fire

OH logger

Quote from: barbender on March 22, 2017, 11:21:58 PM
I saw one in the Lumberman's magazine, that sakd  448 grapple. I'd never heard of one.

there was actually 2 in there believe it or not. they called one a 448   ???
john

BargeMonkey

Quote from: OH logger on March 23, 2017, 09:41:52 PM
Quote from: barbender on March 22, 2017, 11:21:58 PM

there was actually 2 in there believe it or not. they called one a 448   ???
Deere made a 440C in a grapple, and a 448D, I've only ever seen 4 of them. They also made a 340D which was 4/5 the size of a 440D. Honestly if your not on flat ground I wouldnt own a 448D. 440 is a great skidder properly run but you can tip one over on the header if your not careful, I get air under back tires all the time. 😂 I've got a Polaroid hanging on the board in our shop from 1994 ??? Showing a 518C cat with all 4 wheels in the air another guy rolled sitting on a flat header.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: AlexHart on March 22, 2017, 10:19:27 PM
I have a soft spot for 640Ds myself.  All the D models really.   I used to haul for a fellow that had a beautiful one for just a summer before he traded it away and I have an image burned into my mind of that thing standing straight the **** up in the air right outside of my windshield as he was trying to pull my loaded log truck out of the mud.   After a lot of creaking and groaning it got it. 

The winch on that thing was so nasty that you had to be very careful pulling in a scattered load because if the log hung up square on a stump (which of course happens often) you only had a second to lay off or it'd just unmercifully snap the choker chain.   
I have phenomenal luck with my 440D, it doesn't pull 460 sized hitches but was never designed to. It's got almost 12k hours on original engine and clutch. The only problem with the 640D and alot of guys have said it is the transmission, and alot of these machines have been abused so you don't quite know what your getting. I looked at that 648D with the swingboom that was in NH, nice machine but the parts from Esco scare me. The kicker with that machine was I tracked down and talked to the prior owner before the sandman got it, it came from a forester, he had parts, all the books, spare tire. When the guy sold the machine he just gave the parts and books away, that would have made the machine in my mind. 6000 deere winch is nasty, somethings going to break. The H42 winch on my Franklin would eat chokers, I've had great luck with my deere 4k winches and they aren't so bad on chain.

snowstorm

Quote from: BargeMonkey on March 19, 2017, 11:20:54 PM
Quote from: AlexHart on March 19, 2017, 10:10:12 PM

I had to go look at this 30K 440B on Maine craigslist and to your point just a tiny bit down the page I see a 640D with 23.1's, raised arch, and even an enclosed cab for just 20K.   
I talked to him 3-4 months ago on that machine and asked him if he would take 20k and he said NO. I ship a few more load of logs and get my final drive fixed and half tempted to go with 17k in a bag of cash and offer him 15 to start, since I was a kid I've always wanted a 640D. 😂. Wanted to haggle with me over the spare tire and chains, Ive talked to "Mainelogger" about riding up to Skowhegan together and go look at it. She needs center pins, it's not bad but needs to be gone thru. I'm seeing more and more of them around, exactly why I question someone buying a 440, not a bad sized machine but I would cut for 1 day with my timbco and it would literally take me 1 wk to clean it up. 😂 10 sliders is a man killer though.
if that is the 440 i think it is its been for sale for yrs. 15k before it was painted now 30. there is always a lawnmower or compact tractor with a for sale sign on it there. it was over priced at 15 

Thank You Sponsors!