iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Board thickness

Started by Clover, March 18, 2017, 11:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clover

How thick is everyone cutting their boards? Are you using a log scale that leaves a board exactly 1 inch after the cut or are you using a log scale that leaves the board 1 1/8 of an inch? This would all be for hardwood cutting only.  What would the reason be for using one or the other log scale? I have purchased both to add onto my sawmill and I currently have an actual 36 inch log scale and one 4/4 to 8/4 that removes the kerf cut.
The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Home made 30 hp sawmill all hydraulic, stihl 026, 170, pioneer 65, John Deere 955 with home made forks. And a whole slew of other tools

flyboy16101

It depends on what the customer/ I am going to use it. Some like 1 1/8" for wood that will be kiln dried and planned because not as much material needs to be removed. For furniture others myself included prefer 1 1/4" since it gives more material to work with if it warps or twists while drying. But I will cut true 1 inch for lumber that is going to used as ruff cut for siding boards/ pallet lumber.
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

bandmiller2

My band mill uses a pointer and aluminum yardstick. Unless a customer asks for exact dimensions they get the dimension less kerf. No one has ever complained, makes it easier to figure. Circular mill I cut to full dimension. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

When doing INCH lumber, I always ask the customer if they want the full inch, in which case I use the 4/4 scale, and if they want dimension less kerf, I use the inch scales on the yard stick, same as Frank!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

4x4American

IDK how it is up there in Canuckistan, but, down here in the estados unidos, hardwood inch boards are sawn plus 1/16"-1/8" over.  Two inch boards are sawn 3/16"-1/4" over.  I'm not sure of all the exact reasons, but some are to leave more room for planing, and to allow for board shrinkage when drying.  In softwood I usually saw full dimension.  I have computerized setworks that measure in 1/32" increments so it's pretty simple for me to do.
Boy, back in my day..

isawlogs

Hardwood, I use the 4/4 scale
Softwood, depends on the customer, some will want to have boards for furnisher , these will be sawn with the quarter scale depending the thickness heis looking for. as for the demensional lumber it is cut on the inch scale with curf split on the inch. The 1 inch board would be 15/16 or close to.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

YellowHammer

Standard 4/4 - 1 1/8" hardwood scale for hardwood.  Its standard with all the mills around here, and that's what every expects.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

thecfarm

Are you cutting than storing the lumber to sell?
I only saw for me,so that customer wants all one inch boards.   :D
But if I was sawing a customer logs,whatever they want to pay me for.  ;D
Show me the money!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I saw whatever the customer wants, but generally if it is hardwood going to the kiln/T&G etc., it will be 1 1/8.  The greatest majority of what I saw is 1".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Clover

Thanks for the responses everyone. The wood I'm cutting are logs I've purchased to sell the lumber from. I've cut almost everything on the 4/4 scale with a little on the 1" scale for some interior trim in my cottage. When I purchased the scales 8 years ago from woodmizer (Ontario) they didn't have the 4/4+1/8 scale as they Said it wasn't used much from what I remember. I recently ordered some new ones, as mine are getting tired, and kinda the same thing happened again. They did have them in stock this time. So I'll have the yard stick, 4/4 to 8/4 and the hardwood scale that adds the 1/8" inch. I think I'll cut 1 1/8" for next while until I start selling and see what people want.
The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Home made 30 hp sawmill all hydraulic, stihl 026, 170, pioneer 65, John Deere 955 with home made forks. And a whole slew of other tools

WV Sawmiller

I exclusively use my setworks on my mill to determine thickness and cut my 4/4 at a 1-1/8" setting yielding a true 1" board. For framing I set to 2-1/8" to get a true 2" board. I'll cut thicker or thinner if the customer wants.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ox

No customers for me, just me and mine.  I cut a 1" thick board without figuring for kerf and end up with a perfect 7/8" thick board.  I just crank my handle 4 times for an inch and 8 times for 2".  Makes it easy for my stupid brain to comprehend.  I did a little at first figuring in for kerf but I hated losing 2 boards out of a log just because the tape measured something a little more and proper.  Plus all the different numbers makes my head hurt.  :laugh:
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Warren

For the most part, I only do custom sawing. So, it depends on what the customer is doing with the lumber.   For barn framing, I cut to the inch specified by the customer.   If I am sawing side boards for dump trucks, or heavy equipment trailer decking, I saw as close to the exact dimension that the customer gives me.

For wood workers, I offer them: cut on the inch less kerf (7/8" yield), cut on the inch plus kerf (1" yield) or 4/4 (1-1/8" on my set works).   Most wood workers choose the 4/4 option so that they have the flexibility of finishing at 1" or 3/4".

When I saw for my own consumption (building wagon flats),   I have programs on my set works for 5"x9" beams and 1.5" lumber off the sides.  For my purposes, I prefer to err on the side of a little plump as opposed to a little scant.

IF you are going to be buying and sawing your own logs, to sell the lumber, in advance of a firm order, you might want to poll some potential customers to see what their true specifications are ?   

JMO...
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Thank You Sponsors!