iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milled Wood Drying Time

Started by BrianS, April 01, 2018, 09:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianS

I will be having some Black/Red Oak milled on property, most is standing or laying dead.  How long do i need to air dry the lumber before I can use for a building project?  Planning on using stickers and drying outside but want to start my shop project and using as siding inside and outside. Thanks for any insight.

WV Sawmiller

Brian,

What is your location? Will it be under cover? How much air flow and sunlight? How thick will the lumber be?

There are a lot smarter people than me on the forum than me about drying wood but these are some basic questions they will need to help answer your questions.

Welcome to the forum. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

starmac

I can't comment on your oak, but my spruce it depends on how far it is from the mill to the wall I want to put siding on, for the drying time. This is for outside walls only though.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

BrianS

It will be outside and I live in central Illinois.  It should get plenty of airflow as I plan to sticker the stack. It will be different sizes but min of 1 inch thick. 

Thanks for help, love the forum.

jaygtree

rule of thumb around here is to let boards dry one year per inch of thickness. i use them when i need them though even if water squirts out of them when i pound a nail in them.  jg
i thought i was wrong once but i wasn't.   atv, log arch, chainsaw and ez boardwalk jr.

Thank You Sponsors!