TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Heading in a new direction..more like a circle.  (Read 29003 times)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: Heading in a new direction..more like a circle.
« Reply #220 on: April 05, 2018, 08:47:30 AM »
Only one type of thief here, addicts, tons of them in my corner of the county.  Maybe 30% of the population.  Ive lived in bad neighborhoods in the north and the south, with valuable stuff always sprawled all over.  I have never had anything stolen in either place and i can be gone for a week or 3 months.

Lots and lots and lots of staring contests and confrontations and yelling and some shooting to get my point across.  Thieves have one common theme.  All Cowards.  

My bobcat is chained to a light pole right now up the road.  Real good chance itll get messed with by those too cowardly to mess with me to my face.
Revelation 3:20

Offline Stephen Alford

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #221 on: April 06, 2018, 07:27:14 AM »
   Hard for me to get my head around someone who destroys property belonging to others  cfarm.   In some respect you must represent all that they are not.  I appreciate your posts and insight as well.  :)

Man oh man ,that must be discouraging Mike.  I cannot imagine a more dangerous sitch than someone heading to the woods using heavy equipment with a  head full of domestic  unresolved  issues.  How do the other 70% cope. Is there an opportunity for a small security business or possibly secure storage facility at your place  ?  Dawned on me that the Cumberland plateau may be the same area that has the Cumberland gap that Danial Boone  used .  Had a look at the sat imagery. That Cumberland tunnel is awesome. Hard to believe that can be done yet you lose sleep over vandals.  Sounds like they are pretty entrenched.  By the way those are beautiful oak stands you are looking at.  Wish I knew of some solutions for you but this is just something I am not familiar with.  The FF has an incredible  folks  ....maybe...just maybe....
logon

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #222 on: April 06, 2018, 07:35:20 AM »
Only one type of thief here, addicts, tons of them in my corner of the county.  Maybe 30% of the population.  Ive lived in bad neighborhoods in the north and the south, with valuable stuff always sprawled all over.  I have never had anything stolen in either place and i can be gone for a week or 3 months.

Lots and lots and lots of staring contests and confrontations and yelling and some shooting to get my point across.  Thieves have one common theme.  All Cowards.  

My bobcat is chained to a light pole right now up the road.  Real good chance itll get messed with by those too cowardly to mess with me to my face.
30% ?? that sounds awful. We don't have lots of robbery, most in the citys where people are more defenseless. all thieves know that the finca (farm) owners, including me, have guns in their homes and will put up a fight if they go steal there.
We have some violence between the narco families (drug war), sometimes they find peoples burned up in stolen cars with some hands and foots cut off  . But if you not in that business you don't have to worry.
Sadly lots of young peoples like to make 200-400 dollars in a few hours on a drug haul than work for 500$ dollars a month with hard, honest work 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #223 on: April 06, 2018, 07:42:41 AM »
Someone stole the distributor and and then poured sand down the opening.  

It would be pleasant to catch that guy in the acct and brake'm an arm or hand so maybe he gets cured!!
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #224 on: April 06, 2018, 09:03:27 AM »
Please keep in mind i am speculating here and also that my worldview is made up by my day to day life.  I live on a road thats known far and wide as the place to get the pills you need.  Last night there was an argument few doors away that ended with rounds getting popped off and no law.  I literally paused from typing this to watch two guys steal some appliance out of abandoned house 2 doors over.  So on my road id put the numbers closer to 60% or so.  I dont stress about it.  I have made it clear that two can play the home invasion game.  Bible says the lord will make my enemies into my footstool and so far he has.  A mans got to stand for something.

Offline luvmexfood

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #225 on: April 06, 2018, 06:23:48 PM »
Mike. A few areas like that around here. Even if the people wanted to work there is none. Maybe fast food at $7.35 an hour. Not an excuse to steal though. People laugh if you want to pick up a woman all you have to do is drive down one of those streets and shake a pill bottle.

My local weather always gives a forecast over the Cumberland Plateau. Seems like you guys don't know weather to start out in a coat or shorts. Calling for us to have snow tomorrow.n 
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #226 on: April 06, 2018, 08:18:56 PM »
Yea thats the cumberland county mating call.  Pills and meth are a favorite currency.  Wrecks a lot of lives, its a shame.

Im from new england so i cant complain too much about the weather or taxes.  Sposta snow here also. 

Offline Timbercreekfarm

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #227 on: April 06, 2018, 08:31:49 PM »
Mike, I can not wrap my head around your sitch, sounds like you have a bunch of stuff where you lived? Now you have druggy criminal neighbors? New england can't be that bad, what gives?

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #228 on: April 06, 2018, 08:38:47 PM »
both places were full of criminals.   It was heroin up there, and meth down here.  But i can afford life here.  I was working 2 jobs when i lost my cheap house up there.

Offline Stephen Alford

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #229 on: April 13, 2018, 12:20:47 PM »
  That is a real shame... I guess where ever you go your gonna find those  "peckers"

Things have warmed up a bit. Well warm enough to shed the winter boots and back to the stihl leathers.  The go to snack  is a  "4012" orange.  They travel well and just enough moisture and sweet to keep you chugging along.

The north extraction road is holding well.

The days are getting longer as well, but as is the case for you.....not long enough.  :)

logon

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #230 on: April 13, 2018, 04:43:13 PM »
Thats a sweet trailer.   

Are you able to charge for this service or is it a "you can have the wood for payment" market?  I can have all the trees i can haul but i cant manage to get paid for it yet and not for lack of trying.

Weather wise its hot here already.  Just got back from a septic tank job.  That first wave of methane that comes out from under the lid when you pry it up is the kinda sweet that keeps me going.. Like 20 more paces the other direction!

Offline Stephen Alford

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #231 on: April 14, 2018, 08:09:31 AM »
  Not really,   and just to be clear with the intent to not mislead ... this is not really working from a business perspective.  Land here is relatively scarce so it is valuable.  I have done work for speculators who buy a piece of property and it needed to be cleaned up,  for example tires out of streams garbage and old structures removed.  Generally got paid when the property sold.  So funding someone else .  Not good.  Cleared building lots ,   but now the go to machine is an excavator with live thumb.  That market dried up. Had hoped folks would pay a little more for firewood derived from good woodlot management,   that has not happened yet.  Firewood markets are in decline and competition from folks with other sources of income who are just selling wood for cash are hard to compete against.  The only bright spot that I am aware of is a guy who does a B&B with a woodlot experience for folks.   The deterrent for the  education/ tourist  concept is the insurance liability aspect.   A business is no longer a firewall between personal assets  and  liability.     For now  "soldier on" ...we shall see    :)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #232 on: April 14, 2018, 09:21:58 AM »
I hear ya.  Thats a bummer.

Offline Stephen Alford

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #233 on: April 29, 2018, 09:05:51 AM »
   Spring seems to be the season of the  "break and bust".   For a couple days of late seems like everything was broke in some manner.  Have had a particular difficult time with the air brake system on the ol tandum.  Don't know how relevant it is to others but I was surprised.  After days of trying to clean and repair the old system with minimum success priced up new components.   The governor was only 23$ and the entire air dryer was only 128$ ... had I know that to start with could have saved a lot of laying in the muck.  :(
  Had to tidy up the lane way with the scraper blade ...

Found a world war one foot locker it has been over seas and came back so ...no surprise ...manifest destiny :D

logon

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #234 on: April 29, 2018, 09:56:14 AM »
Looks good. I don't do much scraper. Don't have too,the rocks hold me up.  :D 
Yes,spring is here. I am digging rocks out of the old pasture. More I clear,the more rocks I find and the more I have to mow. It has to stop sometime. Well I mean the land clearing,no end in sight to the rocks. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #235 on: April 29, 2018, 10:26:56 AM »
Youll expire before they do!

Nice find stephen.  Perfect.

Offline Stephen Alford

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #236 on: June 07, 2018, 07:32:01 AM »
   Hey folks  been awhle so thought it was time for a bit of an up date.  Crazy spring weather wise,snowing yesterday morning when I left the house.  Sure hard on the fruit crops.  had to do some upgrades to my ol truck.  Mr lopet had raised the point of dot tolerance here.  I think they are as tough as anywhere but I will give them this , they served notice this spring that they would be stepping up their game.   Well after new tires brakes etc my last encounter was.... "Stephen shes legal but you got to know she aint pretty".... :D
   One tool upgrade was to put a full length shovel handle  in my pickaroon, realy pleased what a difference on the back.

One issue has been trying not to waste wood and minimize damage at the same time.

Just a couple pics for those who are unable to get out and about  :)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #237 on: June 07, 2018, 07:47:29 AM »
Nice pics. Glad to see youre still at it.

smiley happysmiley

Offline Stephen Alford

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #238 on: June 10, 2018, 09:28:48 AM »
   Thanks Mike, how are the dozer repairs coming along ?

This what the cable looks like after a bit over a year of use .

These were a pair of trees heading NW that I wanted heading SE. 

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #239 on: June 10, 2018, 09:32:19 AM »
Looks like your directional felling works!!!
I have not been cutting wood. Too busy digging rocks and stumps. I made a mess and now I have to make it look good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
When heading North ...

Started by Kevin on Travel Guide

6 Replies
Last post July 13, 2004, 02:29:09 PM
by Furby
xx
Heading to Tenn

Started by Raider Bill on General Board

2 Replies
Last post May 28, 2009, 08:57:34 AM
by Weekend_Sawyer