TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Heading in a new direction..more like a circle.  (Read 29478 times)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: Heading in a new direction..more like a circle.
« Reply #240 on: June 10, 2018, 10:32:18 AM »
Nice rigging mr stephen, i need to make a self release snatch like that.  You sure do some precise work!

Dozer is just sitting there apart.  When i had the aim to get under it there was a constant creek flowing between the tracks.  Then i fractured my arm doing a triple gainer off the wood trailer and crawling under anything is painful enough to make me find something else to do.  i have no money to pour fuel through it anyway so meh.. Let it sit, the dirt piles arent going anywhere.  Just gotta stay home and let the kids get older for a while and be patient with how life plays out.

I have been putting up firewood, laying out my operation better, getting into camp bundles and gardening like crazy between dishes, feedings and internetting.  Also reworking the quad into a mad max thinning machine, sorta miniature version of your tractor.  Need to get some overhead shelter up.  This sun is relentless and im barking up the melanoma tree.

Ill get some pics up later for ya.  Im glad you popped up, i was getting a little worried in your absence. 
Revelation 3:20

Offline Stephen Alford

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #241 on: June 12, 2018, 07:05:28 AM »
   Hey mr cfarm hope you get a chance to take some before/after pics.  Great to see your endeavors.  :)

Well mr  Mike ...I hear ya... balancing domestics and work are always a challenge.  By the time you raise your children you find yourself looking after family seniors.  Just the way of it.  For cooking my mentor is a lad by the name of Jamie Oliver. Great meal plans...healthy,inexpensive and quick.  like most tasks tools make the difference. In the kitchen my go to is a quality blender.  First sign of "dodgie" in she goes.  :D   For the garden my "mantis" is the boy. Stihl now makes a version, it looks a little more rugged.  Had frost again last night but did plant the cold crops last week in my little grow plot.  The BRS in the pic is one I leveled with the clearing saw last year.  Boy did it like that.   ;D

logon

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #242 on: June 12, 2018, 02:53:04 PM »
I did take some pictures. Really not much to see. I had this piece cleared off for at least 10 years.  So these stumps have been there that long too. Mostly white pine. Some I got,some I could not,maybe another 10 years.  ;D The could not ones are about 3 feet across. There must of been a few red oaks in there. I try to leave the oak,good food for the wild life. Those stumps was only about 1-1 feet across and came out pretty easy. Some of those white pines stumps,I had to work on them.
Even dug out a few rocks.  :D  Kinda low on the few too.
Is that red soil? Looks different than what I have.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Stephen Alford

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #243 on: June 13, 2018, 07:16:26 AM »
   The red is due to the high iron -oxide content (rust really ;D). Really hard on undercarriage. You do well not to break your tractor dealing with stumps and boulders.  You must have  "datouch"   :)

Well yesterday was one of ...dozdays .  Hate that crunch noise. Was not even under strain.

Spent the day prepin for the extraction. Went well got the ol boy back to the ER.   Only charged me 70$.  He was really impressed with the prep work. Said most people never have a concern for his gear.   On the down side thats gonna be it for awhile.  You all stay safe  :)

logon

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #244 on: June 13, 2018, 03:19:00 PM »
Never said I did not break my tractor digging rocks.  :o :( Stumps I don't bother with much. Those critters come out hard. And than some. But so have some of the rocks I have dug out.   ::)  Where's the dumb dumb smiley? If the stumps have been in the ground for 10 years they come out easy. White,red maple stumps are gone in half that time,but those white pine hand right in there. 

Can't tell. What did you break?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Stephen Alford

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #245 on: June 15, 2018, 07:06:32 AM »
   Well things are looking up...just the clutch.  I know compared to some of the  mechanical magic I see on here this is pretty basic. The idea with this thread was to share the farm tractor in the woods experience. Well to quote Mr snowstorm if your gonna own it and try to make a living best be prepared to learn how to repair it.   The one issue is the armour.. gets bent over time and the on/off gets to be a bigger challenge every time. The nice thing about the farm tractor I find is recovery and repair for a one man operation is not so bad. Have had to fix a lot of stuff in the woods . Not easy at all. Let the parts hunt begin... :)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #246 on: June 15, 2018, 09:52:48 AM »
Way to get'r done there old timer.  Yer makin me and my dead dozer look bad!  

:snowball:  ;D

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #247 on: June 15, 2018, 09:55:18 AM »
Not to jinx ya i hope, but how much trouble do you have with sticks and tires making love?  I dont want to even say that 4 letter F word.  

Offline bushmechanic

• Someone else has it worse than you.
    • Share Post
« Reply #248 on: June 16, 2018, 06:46:11 AM »
Looks like you took the center right out of her! That's not too bad of a job and I know it's pretty minor for you Mr. Alford! ;)

Offline Stephen Alford

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #249 on: June 16, 2018, 07:04:35 AM »
   Jinx Jinx double Jinx...Hex be gone...turn around...SPIT.  Nope i am good. Never had a flat on the tractor. the rears are forestry specials put on new when I got the tractor. The fronts have been replaced a couple times just wore out. Do a bit of road travel doing tilling mowing snow etc. Its a mindset thing in the woods i know there vulnerable and cut accordingly.  With the winch the wood comes to you as opposed to the grapple where you have to go to the wood.
   On another note meet a nice young couple yesterday. He and his wife were working on an extension to his fly tying shop in the rain. Picked up what he called "the deadly dozen" as a gift for a buddy getting married. Got a couple like the one in the middle for my hat.  Oh ya baby in the woods its its all about LOOKS... :D

logon

Offline Stephen Alford

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #250 on: June 29, 2018, 08:37:13 PM »
    Hey Mr Mike .... how is the arm coming along ?  Hope the healing is going well. Hard to imagine tackling your work load with two arms let alone one.

Mr Bushmechanic you are highly over rating my mechanical skills.   When I pick up a wrench in my right hand the devil takes my left.  :D  Thought you might get a chuckle out of my impromptu sliding hammer to remove the pilot bearing. Only had a foot between the engine and the tranny. Poor ol 3/4 johnson bar had to take a hit for the team.  The grove in the handle did the trick. Three waks and wala.

Was back in the woods Tuesday. Had to refit the armour ,change all filters etc. What I wanted to mention in case someone else has to do this  be sure to calk the engine on both sides over the axle before you pull the front ahead. Keeps the engine from rolling right or left. Pilot shaft can be borrowed.  Put the pto in gear as well as the trannny.  May have to  turn the engine over through the starter hole.  If you put the two halves together without using come alongs etc. its best.   Been a busy week as deliveries fell behind .   Sure feels great to get back at it. Go easy  :)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #251 on: July 01, 2018, 09:14:43 AM »
Hey mr stephen.  Good to see you got her back together.  I'd say my arm is pretty well healed, its only as achy as everything else now..thanks for askin.  Tryin the get everything in the yard cut and split but my system needs work.  I dont want to stack all of it, but because of all the dirt piles thatve been hauled in, i dont really have a good place to pile.  

What do you do for wood storage?  Do you sell green or seasoned?  I cant move a single rick in summer but need to have all i can piled and ready to go come the first cold.

Offline Stephen Alford

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #252 on: July 02, 2018, 07:54:18 AM »
   Glad to hear your on the mend Mr Mike.  I suspect our firewood markets are different. When you live on an island the mind set is different. If you were to check our DNA there would be traces of packratasorous or at the very least squirelamentala. Those spellings are probably wrong.  :D   We tend to store and make ready for winter ; that and the mentality that we will meet each other again in the coarse of our days.  It is rare that I have any inventory ahead.  Inventory is just tied up resources.  My situation has evolved with the focus on folks who buy their wood a year ahead.  Those who buy their wood a year ahead plan their finances the same way. Getting paid is not a problem.   I do a stump to stove same day.  Cutting more than a load a day (1&1/2 cd) is the goal. Hopefully when things are working right I will get a couple loads delivered one day of the week.  Cut in am, process after lunch then deliver around suppertime when folks are home to pay.   Folks are pretty much creatures of habit when they buy is a variable you can nudge but who you sell to is up to you.   Sorry for rambling...need more coffee... 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #253 on: July 02, 2018, 12:58:13 PM »
Ramble away, its all helpful to someone.  

Im coming up on my second winter at it here and i hope that those receipts with my number on them generate repeat customers.  But i havent ever sold a summertime load of heating wood.  One summer load that i lugged down a big hill to a firepit along a creek a few days after i busted my arm up is all ive moved since last winter.   In summer you can buy a face cord for $35 picked up.   Our winters are mild enough that many many people do all heating cooking and hot water off LP filled at the co-op or tractor supply.  We also have a natural gas pipeline just about everywhere (this region produces small volumes of gas and oil) with a nearly free hookup to your home.  It all keeps the firewood price low.  

But you havent seen saveitallacitis until youve toured the rural south.  Its like a perpetual yard sale where everything is worth 3x MSRP to the owner.  Ive met quite a few nice folks with a disorder level cling to their junk, while passing out leaflets for the hoarders association i am starting up  :) 

Offline Stephen Alford

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #254 on: July 20, 2018, 07:19:09 AM »
   Wanted to post a pic of what some of the stands look like one year later.

The wood and appearance of the stand are pretty much dependent on the history of each stand.

Some of the firewood coming out.

The wee one has arrived safe and sound....wakeup sunshine suns up in da swamp...days half gone...nothin done yet... :D

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #255 on: July 20, 2018, 09:26:37 PM »
The wee one have a name?
I would show a picture of my firewood,but you all would thing I was stupid or lieing. ;D

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #256 on: July 21, 2018, 04:28:55 PM »
The stand and the junior logger both look like they should, fine work sir!

Offline Stephen Alford

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #257 on: August 05, 2018, 09:41:47 AM »
    Her name is Ramona... wanted posters will probably say..."Moni and Grampie".  :D

On the firewood side of things the province is now offering rebates starting at 500$ for heat exchangers.   But sales are holding.  Inventory is way up ...got 3 sticks on the infeed...

Often get urban buyers comment they would get mor but have no place to store it.  This technique often helps with that.  Do need to lay branches across every now and then to stabalize...

Sure do not miss changing skidder tires but the spoons have come in real handy..

Talking with an old friend that had worked here with me the first time.  Wanted to come and spend a couple of days. What a treat to work with some one who knows what there doing.. :)

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #258 on: August 05, 2018, 10:55:51 AM »
Lucky you. I really only have one friends that really wants to help. He comes and finds me in the woods with leather gloves on and does not ask,You need some help? He just jumps in and helps. He's still in training. :D  I trained him on some just cut full 2"X8"X14' rafters. He remembers that training. :D
Some show up in thier sandales,or whetever some wear, and get on the phone and call me in the driveway and ask if I need some help. ::) 
Not much wood cutting going on here. I was doing good. But started another project, ::) and smoothing out some of the New Piece. It is looking good,real good. Not even many rocks. Yes,I said that. Very odd place. 200 feet away,it's all rocks.

Offline Stephen Alford

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #259 on: August 05, 2018, 12:39:31 PM »
   Bring on da pics....... ;D     When you work alone it is odd to hear a saw moannin  on the cut...add a couple ravens ...a few song birds and a wee of diesel ....sweet  ;)

Tried these felt bags ...hot peppers left,regular center and some Kale on the right.  Seem to be a great idea.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Heading for Wyoming

Started by petefrom bearswamp on General Board

3 Replies
Last post September 28, 2012, 12:31:37 PM
by clww
xx
Finally heading out!

Started by Raider Bill on General Board

5 Replies
Last post October 26, 2008, 07:13:26 PM
by Raider Bill