iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

waving from a ZT mower

Started by Den Socling, April 09, 2017, 02:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

I also put one over a cliff with me on it...
So right about the downhill tire has the traction.
When the upper tire looses it's traction your tractor will turn facing up hill.
If the hill is steep then both wheels will loose traction.
Then you slide backwards.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Den Socling

I'd never get caught on a hill where I could slide backwards. That's what goats were invented for.  :D

gww

My ground is pretty flat.  I do find that the ztr gets stuck a lot easyer then you would think it would.  I have one ditch by the road that one swipe of a 60 inch deck will cut and I just ride that ditch sideways balls to the wall until it gets almost vertical and I whip right and come off of it.  This lets me mow about 20/30 feet each side of my driveway so that I can see well when getting on to the main road.  I don't worry as much about flipping but have had the wheels slide down hill and then not have enough traction to back up.  Thats usually when I get the atv out and pull it out.  It is like anything, you sorta learn pretty quick how to mow your yard with out trouble.  When I first got it, I did run into things once in a while but now, I barily have to slow down to go around trees and such.  It doesn't take long and you get the hang of it.

Mine has a broken belt to the wheel motors.  You can buy quite a few box store mowers and wear them out for the price of the ztr but the ztr makes mowing a little more fun and the time savings is amazing.  If you have a two or three acre yard with lots of trees, it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
I have used mine as a bush hog and it is lots harder on you them a tractor on rough ground but will do it.  I consider it one of the better things I have bought.
gww

Crusarius

I had the need to move a trailer around my house and decided to use the ZT. I c-clamped my hitch to the foot board set the trailer tongue on it then was able to put it right where I wanted it. Did this with a 5x8 trailer and a 16' car trailer.

Definitely took a bit of figuring because of how the front moves on the zero. but it made moving it alot easier than man handling it.

Den Socling

I bolted a piece of 3" aluminum angle on the back of mine with a hole to hitch to. Backing up the trailer is easier than I expected.

TKehl

Saw a ZT push a car down Main street to a repair shop Monday.   :-\

Was picking up my tractor from the shop and the guys were having a laugh.  I laughed then groaned when I recognized the ZT driver.  He works for my uncle.     ;D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

petefrom bearswamp

At my age speed is not my friend.
If you have to back up sometimes on a turn so as to not scalp or spin  what is the advantage?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

DanG

I'm about to purchase my first, and hopefully last ZT mower. I'm looking closely at Gravely, but I have one more dealer I want to check with first. Any thoughts are most welcome.

I saw a guy flip one over backwards a couple of years ago trying to go up a slope that was obviously too steep. Nothing was hurt but his dignity.  :D

I saw another guy push a dumpster out of his way with a big Skag one time too.  :o
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

pineywoods

DanG, if you want to get one that will stay with you, find a dealer for Ferris zt's. Not that common, but they are a commercial duty mower. Deck is 1/4 steel plate, welded up with re-inforcement on the corners and bottom edges. Spindles are 1 inch with double roller bearings. Drive belt is an industrial V belt 1 inch wide. There's grease zerks where ever they are needed. Independent suspension on all 4 wheels. Kawasaki power. Spin on oil filter. The only thing mine has required is a new battery after setting up all winter..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

gww

Piney
Have you rode other ztrs besides the farris?  I always wondered how much differrence the suspension made.

I think exmark sells the most.  I almost bought a scagg before I bought my everride.  I also had a farris sold out from under me after telling the gravely dealer I was coming up to get it.

Dad has the kabota and it isn't quite as jumpy as mine.  I thought one time I wanted the hustler cause they were the fastest mower around.

Knock on wood, so far, I cannot complain about the everride.  It is pretty bad to the bone and is kawasaki also.  I did always want to ride a farris though.

Cheers
gww

Den Socling

If I want to avoid a scuff, I go a little beyond the turn and do a 360. It's still faster than a conventional riding mower.

Kbeitz

I'm really old fashion and I still use a Dixion.

Gravely is not the tractor it use to be after Ariens bought them out.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Raider Bill

I've got a Ariens ZT. The gas tank and control side is poorly designed but the rest of the mower has been good. I mow my yard and the rentals.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Just Me

I have a Toro 520xi lawn tractor, and I said when it wears out I will buy a zero turn. Dang thing just will not break.

Den Socling

When I'm in that situation, I give the object to one of my kids. Then I have to buy myself something new.   :D

Ox

Quote from: Just Me on April 13, 2017, 04:28:46 PM
I have a Toro 520xi lawn tractor, and I said when it wears out I will buy a zero turn. Dang thing just will not break.
I'll take it off your hands - I've been looking for a reasonably priced one for a while now.  Oh, right.  No money, no way to truck it.....never mind.  Unless you plan on taking a trip to NY state sometime soon!  Then I might be able to scrape something together.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

sawguy21

I would really rather have a z-turn for mowing but unfortunately that is all I would be able to use it for, I still need the tractor for plowing the driveway and moving stuff. Mowing our pasture at 12 mph is out of the question though, I would never be able to hang onto it. And don't suggest goats, I am not a farmer.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Kbeitz

Quote from: sawguy21 on April 14, 2017, 12:49:58 PM
I would really rather have a z-turn for mowing but unfortunately that is all I would be able to use it for, I still need the tractor for plowing the driveway and moving stuff. Mowing our pasture at 12 mph is out of the question though, I would never be able to hang onto it. And don't suggest goats, I am not a farmer.

Look again... Some come with plows.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

Some even have snowblowers!  I'm not sure how well plows and snowblowers would work seeing how easy they can get stuck...maybe this is best for suburbia with nice flat paved driveways.  Certainly not my driveway where the top of the mountain pokes through in the middle and constantly sloughs off.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

DanG

Picked up my new Gravely ZT-XL-52 yesterday. Got home from returning the borrowed trailer about 6pm and knocked out a couple of acres of rough stuff. I learned that I'm not ready for close work, but I did learn how to make unintentional detours look like I meant ta do dat.  :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sawguy21

;D That would have been entertaining to watch, there is a learning curve. I sold a few blades and snow blower attachments, the owners wanted a year round machine but they didn't work well frequently getting stuck. Carburetor icing was another problem, one customer wasted two motors because of it and the engine manufacturer would not cover under warranty. The problem was one cylinder would flood and quit, the gas washed down the cylinder wall destroying the piston. They said it was the equipment manufacturer's problem who refused as well.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Den Socling

Wow they should come with a warning against using them in cold weather. Is that a problem with one particular brand of engine?

gww

Dan G
And I say that name in the nicest of ways and not like some on here use it.  You are going to love the mower.
gww

Kbeitz

Our city borough uses one to plow the snow off the sidewalks.
We had a very big snow last month and I stopped and watched.
I was surprised how good it did... I think it was an Exmark.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

Wheel weights?  Chains?  Both?  Nothing?  I'm guessing the blade was just wide enough to clear the tires at an angle.

Thank You Sponsors!