iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

waving from a ZT mower

Started by Den Socling, April 09, 2017, 02:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

Den, the customer was blowing snow in extreme conditions, -30C with a wind. I would have stayed home. The equipment manufacturer was advertising it as a four season machine but didn't tell the engine people, there was no anti icing kit which is why neither were willing to take responsibility. I was told the problem was being addressed.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Kbeitz

Quote from: Ox on April 16, 2017, 10:11:08 AM
Wheel weights?  Chains?  Both?  Nothing?  I'm guessing the blade was just wide enough to clear the tires at an angle.

I don't know about weights but I seen no chains.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Den Socling

Thanks, sawguy. I was wondering how this came about. You're right about being out at -30. Just plain crazy!

sawguy21

Quote from: Kbeitz on April 16, 2017, 12:38:40 PM
Quote from: Ox on April 16, 2017, 10:11:08 AM
Wheel weights?  Chains?  Both?  Nothing?  I'm guessing the blade was just wide enough to clear the tires at an angle.

I don't know about weights but I seen no chains.
I have not seen a z-turn with adequate clearance for chains, it is designed to cut grass.

Den Socling

If you are new to using a ZT, I advise eye protection. They can throw some mean shrapnel especially if you let the discharge hit a nearby tree. And don't even think about the discharge hitting the side of a building. Mine blast out a jet. Also, since you are traveling so fast, branches can get you. I have trees and bushes all over the place and I occasionally get hit in the face if I don't duck low enough. I've been cutting them off but there is still a lot of low branches.

Kbeitz

I had room to but chains on this but I went for agg tires and weights instead.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

sawguy21

:o Those tires would leave some serious divots in a sharp turn.

Kbeitz

Quote from: sawguy21 on April 17, 2017, 11:49:16 AM
:o Those tires would leave some serious divots in a sharp turn.

Not unless you really got on it.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Just Me

Quote from: Ox on April 14, 2017, 10:08:03 AM
Quote from: Just Me on April 13, 2017, 04:28:46 PM
I have a Toro 520xi lawn tractor, and I said when it wears out I will buy a zero turn. Dang thing just will not break.
I'll take it off your hands - I've been looking for a reasonably priced one for a while now.  Oh, right.  No money, no way to truck it.....never mind.  Unless you plan on taking a trip to NY state sometime soon!  Then I might be able to scrape something together.

I would say they are one of the best. Weighs over 1100 without a deck, rides nice, pulls a big trailer, has a tiller that works good.

I had an ExMark walk behind with a sulky but it was only good for mowing, and the most important thing, My wife would not run it! She likes running the Toro. I won't tell you that I bought it for $350, that would make you feel bad..........

sawguy21

An experienced operator on a walk behind with a sulky can cut a lot of grass in a hurry in areas a z-t won't go. They sure give him/her a good workout. I tried it with a stand on Velke, got parked on my butt within the first two minutes. ;D

Just Me

Yes, that is the biggest reason that I sold it, 40 years of dirt bikes and hard work has left me with a bum shoulder and two bad knees, so every time I got off I felt like I had been on a two hour ride.

It was fast, what I could do with that in 50 minutes my wife does in an hour and a half on the Toro. but there is a big plus for me in that statement. :D

Raider Bill

I had a Scagg 60" with a velky. Loved that mower. I got chucked off more than once. Like a idiot I sold it to buy a ride on MTD tractor which turned into a total piece of crap so I gave it to Billy and bought the Zt Ariens.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Tom the Sawyer

DanG,

I just took delivery of a Gravely ZTX-52 two days ago.  Definitely a learning curve, my old lawn tractor had a steering wheel.  I, too, am staying away from fences, trees or the pond until I am confident in my trimming precision  :D
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

DanG

Touchy rascal, ain't it Tom?  :D :D

Not to worry though, you will learn quickly. I have about 5 hours on mine and feeling pretty confident.  :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!