TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: 2 years and still waffling on Sawmill purchase  (Read 5502 times)

Offline Downstream

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: 2 years and still waffling on Sawmill purchase
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2017, 09:36:13 AM »
i have owned the ez jr for about 18 months with honda 13 hp.  It has cut everything that I can fit on the mill and I do mostly live edge full width cut slabs.  I stayed away from the bolt together frames because with a manual mill you will be rolling/sliding/dropping logs on deck all the time and the all welded c-channel frame on the ez jr can handle with no problem.  Im not worried about it ever failing.   The entire sawmill can be picked up using the lug on top or I have a pallet jack that slips underneath and I can move it anywhere on my paved driveway which is nice for me since I have no tractor yet.  The angle blade does help pull mill into log as stated and if you angle the mill slightly downhill it takes some of the pushing force away. 

EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Offline plantman

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2017, 01:39:26 PM »
Sounds quite logical to me. Those oak logs weigh a ton, actually more .

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2017, 09:44:51 PM »
That's a good idea with the pallet jack Downstream. smiley_thumbsup

Offline Cedarman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Cedarusa
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2017, 07:49:33 AM »
My brother and I went to a forestry field day in 1983.  Mill was hooked to WM truck ready to head back to Indy because we got there late.  LT 30 manual.  That is all they had.  No other band mills out there.  Never sawed a board in my life.  Had a lot of land with timber.  Took about 2 hours of talk with brother.  Decided right then and there that we could use the mill to make money.  34 years later and look what has happened to us.  Bought brother out 2 years after we bought the mill.  If you can visualize the future, then you can make it happen.  I didn't say it was easy all those years.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Offline dirtymartini

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2018, 06:50:59 PM »
When Martini-man finally goes out and gets a mill I think there should be some kind of celebration event to commemorate the day.   Somebody should give a public speech like Lincolns emancipation declaration.
Hold off on the speeches lol, I still haven't bought a mill. I know I just resurrected an old thread but somehow never saw this post. It really gave me a chuckle.  DanMC I expect your speech to be a dandy given all of time I've given you to prepare lol
Life has thrown me a couple of curve balls this past year but now I am back looking at the same two mills. I'm afraid I will have to sell a couple motorcycles to make it happen  :'(

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2018, 08:18:19 PM »
Choices and priorities!  Good luck.

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • made 70-11 and still feelin pretty darned good!
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2018, 08:01:03 AM »
Well it is after all a hard decision.
Love your handle.
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo
241 acres of woodland

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2018, 10:02:21 AM »
Forget the sawmill!  Bring on the maple syrup & butter for the waffles! I'm hungry already! 

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Offline alan gage

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2018, 11:08:55 AM »
Another echo for not overlooking used hydraulic mills. I was in the same boat last year and was expecting to end up with a manual mill for around $5k or less. Hydraulics completely blew the budget. I was also expecting to drive at least 7 hours to pick up a used mill (northern MN or MO). Someone said they knew someone who had a hydraulic mill in town that had been sitting in the weeds for a dozen years. Called the guy, took a look at it that afternoon, and bought it for $4000. Put another $2500 and some hours into it getting it fixed up and now I've got a portable and nearly full hydraulic mill (backstops and head up/down are manual). Very happy things worked out they way they did.

Alan
Timberking B-16

Offline SawyerTed

• Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2018, 03:19:47 PM »
Just don't let the paralysis of indecision prevent you from following a dream.

Sometimes you have to make a decision and then make it right.  Sometimes you make the right decision to begin with.  Either way you've made a decision and moved forward.  Indecision means you are sitting still and losing ground.  I know life sometimes puts kinks in our plans, but once the kinks are worked out you gotta move forward.  Make the best educated decision on your mill and put it to work.

Five years ago, I never thought I would be semi-retired and sawing almost as much as I want to.  I'm sawing two to three days a week and would like to be consistently sawing 3 to 4 days a week.  There have been a couple of things that sidetracked me but I finally decided to jump into the unknown with both feet back in January.  I'm glad I did.  Had I known what I know now, I could have afforded more mill than I got.  But my decision is to work the heck out of the LT35 Hydraulic and put money in the bank for a bigger mill some day.

I believe in my case the hydraulics make the work easier less hard and therefore more enjoyable.  What I would have saved in sawmill purchase would have prevented me from using my mill as much as I do.  In other words, because I'm not killing myself handling logs, I have more energy to saw and my interest is as keen as ever.  Of course I'm sawing as a business and not strictly as a hobby or solely for fun.

YMMV
Woodmizer LT35HD25, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Offline dirtymartini

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2018, 08:09:22 PM »
Got a shipping quote from Stanton on a EZ Boardwalk Jr. $850 shipped to my location with trailer package and 5' extension. Ouch! Maybe I should check u-ship.com?

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2018, 08:39:29 PM »
Getting a sawmill is a good thing. Waffle a bit but not too long.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT   2001 WM LT40SHDD (42HP Kubota, Accuset2, FAO's, Lubemizer, debarker, hydraulics everywhere), Peterson WPF 10-30 with chain slabber. Logrite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • made 70-11 and still feelin pretty darned good!
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2018, 08:24:38 AM »
How far would you have to go to get the mill?
uship works but there are more fees than I realized.
I used it for a trailer I bought in Michigan and had planned to go myself to get it
thought it would be cheaper to use uship, but it turned out not to be so.
the young couple that brought it came with a beat up chevy blazer with non working 4wd and couldnt get up my snow covered driveway (3" of snow), so I had to bring it up my hilly driveway with my PU. Poor folks looked like they didnt have 2 nickles to rub together so my wife gave them a generous tip. they had 2 beautiful young daughters with them. Lesson learned.
Then he had to get under the hood to start the vehicle before they headed to eastern Mass with a large duck boat which was on the roof of the blazer.
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo
241 acres of woodland

Offline hunterbuild

• Share Post
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2018, 01:13:24 PM »
Frist sawing I did was with a neighbor who was repairing a big hydraulic saw with bells and whistles. I wanted a saw so bad. I could wait and save forever or get something I could afford. I got a Harbor Fright saw for under $1700 delivered to my place. Yes I did have to do some self repairs and mods, but nothing major. I've been cutting for over three years now, its still plugging away. I put a 13 hp predator motor on it this spring. Its doing what ever I throw at it, so I guess I'll stick with it. I do have a skid steer, so hydraulics can be done with out. Its slow going, but so am I. 72 and still going.

Offline dirtymartini

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2018, 08:41:12 PM »
Stanton from EZ Boardwalk called back today with a lower quote from Fed-Ex freight, $650. That would make the EZ Boardwalk JR with trailer package and 5 foot bed extension around $5650 delivered to me.

The Woodland Mills HM130 Trekker XL would be around $6597 delivered. 

I have to say I do like the idea of the welded bed on the EZ Jr....and I won't have to spend hours assembling it. The only drawback I see is the 6-8 week wait for the mill to be built.

Offline New sawyer

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2018, 09:22:25 PM »
I agree , bite the bullet and buy one . I did . I ordered a Timber King 1400 . The shipping would have been $2500 to my home. Me ,my wife and son are driving  from CT to Kansas City to pick it up in August . Can't wait to saw some logs. 
Life is what you make of it. You own your own decisions.

Offline SawyerTed

• Share Post
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2018, 11:12:52 PM »
Stanton from EZ Boardwalk called back today with a lower quote from Fed-Ex freight, $650. That would make the EZ Boardwalk JR with trailer package and 5 foot bed extension around $5650 delivered to me.

I have to say I do like the idea of the welded bed on the EZ Jr....and I won't have to spend hours assembling it. The only drawback I see is the 6-8 week wait for the mill to be built.
As best as I can tell, you've waited 2 years plus, what's a couple more months to get what you want?
Woodmizer LT35HD25, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Offline dirtymartini

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2018, 08:19:12 AM »

As best as I can tell, you've waited 2 years plus, what's a couple more months to get what you want?
SawyerTed I think you are right...what's another couple months. I have been putting this off for way over two years. EZ Boardwalk Jr it will be.

Online Skipper11A

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2018, 10:23:15 AM »
Make sure you get the log turner with the EZ.  The log turner would be my #1 add-on for the EZ Boardwalk.    I  like your decision to buy the trailer package and one extension, that's perfect.  I also recommend their blade sharpener with a diamond wheel, and Logrite cant hooks.  You won't regret any of these purchases.

After more thought, I would also recommend an electric starter for your engine so you can turn it on and off in between cuts.  You will save a lot of fuel as well as wear and tear on your engine.  I say this because you are buying a manual mill and I assume that you will be working alone so the majority of your time will be spent removing slabs, turning logs, etc., it is a waste to allow your engine to idle for such extended periods of time.

Offline SawyerTed

• Share Post
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2018, 12:42:58 PM »
I think you've made a good decision.  The EZ Boardwalk machines are fine machines and well built. 

Skipper has made some good suggestions.   When you order your mill go ahead and start your compliment of tools but don't overlook the safety gear - hearing protection for you and your helpers (to protect your hearing but also to reduce fatigue), eye protection and foot protection (I found some composite toe athletic type shoes) 

I had a topic on support tools about 5 months ago.  There was great advice on the things that are handy to have around the mill.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
First Sawmill purchase

Started by rockchucker on Sawmills and Milling

23 Replies
Last post December 15, 2007, 02:54:21 AM
by Ianab
xx
Preparing For My Sawmill Purchase

Started by the_hobbyist on Sawmills and Milling

13 Replies
Last post February 10, 2018, 12:46:10 PM
by Crossroads