iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Crosscutting

Started by iffy, April 26, 2017, 02:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iffy

Might be a dumb question here. Does anybody make a bandmill blade that has a closer tooth spacing that would work for crosscutting? I have a walnut double stump that is 30" x 42" that I would like to make tabletops out of. I have a panel sander and if I could get the tops a little smoother than my ⅞ tooth spacing blade maybe I wouldn't have to make a setup to mill the top with my router.

paul case

I think you can order them closer. I have seen saws that have 3/4 and 1/2 spacing.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

iffy

Darrel

I have found that if the 7/8 pitch blade is sharp and properly set (all teeth plus/minus .001") it will cross cut pretty smooth if you don't crowd it too much.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

iffy

The only crosscutting I have tried so far was when I turned a coffee table with log legs upside down & took a slice off the legs to make it set level
Probly not a good test.

Darrel

iffy, I believe you'll find that slicing cookies off the end of this walnut crotch will turn out smoother than trimming the legs on a coffee table. My experience with bench and table legs is that the legs tend to vibrate causing a rough cut. The biggest hurdle you'll have is getting your log clamped and even that isn't too difficult.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

iffy

It is long enough to set on 2 of my log supports so I don't visualize any problems holding it.

sealark37

Go ahead a make your router set-up.  It will do a super job, and you will be money and time ahead.  Regards, Clarkl

Thank You Sponsors!