AVAILABLE

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Our timber frame house.  (Read 2863 times)

Offline littlewiz88

• Share Post
Re: Our timber frame house.
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2018, 02:39:18 PM »
The waterlox so far has been nice to work with, 4 coats on the pine floors is what was recommended and what we stuck to. The only complaint I could have is the 24 hours between coats they recommend. Seemed excessive in my book as most of the time it was completely dry in a few hours.

Our wall sips are 4" polyurethane sips and the roof is 6-1/2" from Thermocore of Missouri. They have thicker panels but so far I can't complain about a lack of insulation. Even when its -15 outside its still nice and toasty inside, especially with the woodstove. Our cabinet doors are made out of solid hickory, the cabinet maker started with rough sawn 1x boards and whittled them into something spectacular.
I really like your stairs.
Thanks! We were going for something a little different than what you see in the typical timberframe.

Offline Wisconsintimber

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2018, 03:36:10 PM »
Wow, top notch job there!  I've always been a fan of timber frame structures and your home looks great!

Offline TimFromNB

• New guy here.
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2018, 08:01:39 PM »
Wow, congrats, that is looking amazing!

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2018, 10:03:19 PM »
@littlewiz88 I looked back over some of the post, well most all of it and have some additional questions.

What wood was used on the interior and exterior ceiling decking/tongue and groove?  White pine?

What did you use to finish the ceiling and the frame?

Offline littlewiz88

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2018, 09:07:23 AM »
@littlewiz88 I looked back over some of the post, well most all of it and have some additional questions.

What wood was used on the interior and exterior ceiling decking/tongue and groove?  White pine?

What did you use to finish the ceiling and the frame?

The interior T&G ceiling is Ponderosa pine that we bought from a local shop that specializes in finish materials, e.g. trim, tongue and groove, doors, etc. They prefinished it with a clear lacquer, it came out to about a $1 a square foot after they finished it. Couldn't beat that in my book. The exterior porches have 80 year old doug fir tongue and groove that my dad salvaged from an old construction building 30 years ago. We ran it through the planer to clean it up and finished it with Rymar Xtreme Clear outdoor finish. Sold at Sherwinn-Williams paint stores. If you don't mind a matte finish, it looks REALLY nice in my book. We used some of their cedar colored finish on our exterior oak and while I wasn't sold on the looks of that it has grown on me. On the frame we simply used Dark Tongue oil from the Milk Paint company. My wife wanted something a little darker than a regular tongue oil and doesn't care for the honey color that many finishes give. Personally if I had to do it over I would use something like the Heritage product as I feel it would be easier to clean and give some more protection. But, I am happy with the looks for sure.

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2018, 09:56:26 AM »
Thanks for the response.  I like the contrasting colors of the frame and decking.  

We are thinking oak frame with SYP decking.  At this point we plan to use Heritage on the frame and decking and Waterlox on the floors.  Time will tell.

Hope your stove helps keep y’all warm and toasty this winter.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Use of Ash for a Timber Frame House

Started by parkejo on Timber Framing/Log construction

3 Replies
Last post November 02, 2007, 04:47:18 AM
by Mad Professor
clip
Sketchup Timber Frame House

Started by outbackbrandon on Timber Framing/Log construction

11 Replies
Last post May 21, 2014, 05:14:35 PM
by Jim_Rogers