iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

John Deere 540 power shift

Started by henderson440, May 07, 2017, 09:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

henderson440

We have an early 70's Jd 540 with the 8 speed power shift. Recently we had to replace a few gears in the transfer case. After getting the machine back together it worked fine for a short time then it started acting up. It goes into reverse fine but going into forward it acts like it's not fully engaging or slipping. And gets worse as the machine warms up. Already have adjusted all the shifting linkages. Any help would be appreciated.

Maine logger88

Check and clean your screen beside your filter and replace filters while you are at it
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

henderson440

We tried that with no luck. We have changed filter and cleaned screens, adjusted linkages and even replaced the aluminum armatures in the unit on the right side of the transmission. Could the transmission pump be acting up? Or a restriction somewhere?

Maine logger88

Have you checked your pressure on the transmission pump yet? If I remember right it should be around 200 psi
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

kiko

The transmission pump works both forward and reverse.   Are all the forward gears slipping or are the slipping gears alternate?  Check the transmission pressure in neutral then in forward it falls then you have internal leakage.   I seem to recall that the transmission pump is also the charge pump for the hydraulic pump,  so a transmission pump issue will sometimes show up in the hydraulic system as well, making  the steering and blade jerky.

henderson440

Reverse gears work as they should, forward gears are the issue. Gets worse as temperature rises. I don't have gauges but might know of someone that does. On the side of the transmission there's a small unit on the right side where the linkages run into. There's two units inside. I always thought one put the machine into gear and the other was for advancing gears. Is that correct or does one run forward and one run reverse?

kiko

I would venture to say the tie bolt(s) for the 1st and 2nd brake pack are broken.   You need to get those pressure gauges and a book that tells which pressure port is which.

henderson440

Okay thank you. I will try to get some gauges hooked up at some point, it's on a spare machine so it's not top priority. When I do I will update. Thank you

Thank You Sponsors!