iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aigheadish and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

SwampDonkey

Those buzzards may not be as thick as blue jays, but there is lots of'm around.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

submarinesailor

Norm,

Sorry I didn't back to you sooner.  Been putting new tie rod ends and shocks on my daughter's truck so she can go back to Ithaca on Monday.

It's a Nikon COOLPIX P500.  It is suppose to have a 34X zoom on it with image stabilization.  Take my word for it, at the 34X you need a tripod.  For these pictures I was using the door frame edge to hold it.  Before I purchased it a Costco I did a little research on line and found out that it is a battery hog.  So, I went by Best Buy and picked up an addition battery, an EL-5 I think, and a separate charger.  An outstanding idea on my part because it "saved the day" over Christmas because I had the extra battery in my pocket.  I do really like it and have enjoyed getting back to photography after being out of it for some years.  Wish I could show you guys some of the pictures I took while I was the ship's photographer when I was on my last submarine.  Always, I believe that it is an outstanding camera.  Lots of operating modes.

Bruce

SwampDonkey

I agree Bruce, for the high zoom a tripod is needed. I used mine on the moose frolic. They were almost a 1/2 mile away.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

Thanks Bruce, interestingly enough I have a Nikon Coolpix but an older model than yours.

Onthesauk

Often see varied thrush in our winters, more then normal this year it seems.  Hiking in the woods today, half snow, half melted ran into what I thought was a thrush.  Turned out to be the first robin of the year.  Not sure if he forgot to migrate or is returning.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Mooseherder

The honking birds are here! 
They come from all over and usually migrate to South Florida and the peak time is right about now.
You hear them more and more at intersections because it may be a custom to where ever they came from.
It does get irritating because the feller next to you might think your da honking bird honking at him and give you a dirty look or flip da bird because he thought you was honking all the while it was da honking bird 2 cars behind you.   Hopefully some looney bird doesn't get out of his car with fists or weapons of rage. ::)
I make my living amongst the honking birds so it is a mixed blessing to see them come and to see them go.  When they leave it signals me to start thinking about my migration to the great north Woods.  ;D :D

doctorb

I liked that, Moosehereder! :D ;D ;D ;D
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

I could never understand the philosophy behind it, because the house back home still needs to be heated and electric maintained. There's no savings. A lot of those birds just sit around down there doing nothing, can do that home. I'm like grandfather, I think they're all crazy in the head. ;) :D

thecfarm

As long as I can take care of myself I'm dumb enough to stay here through the winter.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 11, 2012, 08:21:16 AM
I could never understand the philosophy behind it, because the house back home still needs to be heated and electric maintained. There's no savings. A lot of those birds just sit around down there doing nothing, can do that home. I'm like grandfather, I think they're all crazy in the head. ;) :D

SD
Don't be jealous. ;)
They maybe like the heat and the humidity.
And they can do it as they have the money to spend.
And FL enjoys the money they spend.

That life wouldn't be my choice either.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

:D :D Jealous is one thing that I ain't. Foolishness is what it is. Of course it's just my opinion. :D

I'm not so sure there is much spending other than day to day living. At least that's what I hear from some that go down. Maybe flea market spending or a game of golf I suppose.

A lot flock to Cuba and Mexico from Canada, I wouldn't be the least bit interested. ;)

Shotgun

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 11, 2012, 12:04:26 PM

A lot flock to Cuba and Mexico from Canada, I wouldn't be the least bit interested.

Well, my wife (of 55 years) and I are two of those birds.  In addition to heat and electricity, there are taxes & insurance on two places, maintenance fees, lawn care and watering, snow plowing our private road and our drive, and the travel costs to go back and forth, so it's even worse than you thought, eh?  But so what? I play can play tennis and golf all winter, walk the woods and trails, or whatever.  I'm retired and we can afford it. Guess I don't see the problem, Swamp.  To each his own...   ;D

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

SwampDonkey

Shotgun it's fine and dandy if anyone wants to do it. It's just not my thing. I won't hold it against ya. You at least know where I stand on it, so don't invite me. ;) :D

thecfarm

If I had a 500 foot lot I could leave it behind for the winter and enjoy warmer temps,but I have 170 acres to play on all winter long. Just means too much for me to live it behind. I even miss it when we are gone for a week.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 11, 2012, 12:20:10 PM
Shotgun it's fine and dandy if anyone wants to do it. It's just not my thing. I won't hold it against ya. You at least know where I stand on it, so don't invite me. ;) :D

But SD, it being fine and dandy isn't what you implied in this statement.  ::) ::)
QuoteI could never understand the philosophy behind it, because the house back home still needs to be heated and electric maintained. There's no savings. A lot of those birds just sit around down there doing nothing, can do that home. I'm like grandfather, I think they're all crazy in the head.

But you can back away, that is ok. ;)

My friends come back up north to rest up before they go back. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Nope, I still think it's crazy and wouldn't do it.  But it's still fine and dandy and won't hold it against ya. :D Being on the internet, I guess you can read anything into it if you want to be contrary Mary. ;)

Norm

That's telling him!  :D

WDH

Quote from: thecfarm on February 11, 2012, 08:32:27 AM
As long as I can take care of myself I'm dumb enough to stay here through the winter.  ;D

Just take a little extra grain along with the hay and that will keep your coat shiny and the eyes bright  :D.

thecfarm,

If you ever do any snow birding, you had better stop in and see me, and I would hide all the grits away so that you would not get spooked  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Or be slipping into the kitchen late a night and cooking up a batch.  There are probably some Northern Grits Eaters that are still in the closet.   food1
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

SC is the furthest I made it away from my home base. WDH,I would even try some of those grits if I ever make it down your way.  Never know with me. Would only be gone for a week. We call the snow birds the ones that put thier tail between thier legs and head south for the winter.  ;D
MM,probably there are. Them closest people are everywhere now a days.  :D Not in my house. I sleep through the whole night. I'm tied to a machine at night to help me sleep.

chain

Twelve degrees this a.m. but birds singing like 'twas breath of spring. Big ice storm four years ago, when it thawed on Feb. 10th sparrows began nesting, earlist I've ever witnessed [nesting]in this locale.

Heavy snow expected Monday night.

hisliptree3

just wondering if anyone has a favorite bird. myself i prefer walking in the woods or snowshoeing, and looking up and seeing the perfect ruby red cardinal in a white snow covered birch tree. so any favorite bird types?

Magicman

Mine has to be the Mocking Bird.  Not for their plumage, but for the crazy songs that they sing.  You just never know what the next note will be.    smiley_headscratch smiley_huh2
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Autocar

Blackcap Chickadee but I like them all ;)
Bill

Ironwood

Either Pileated Woodpecker or Oreial. We have ALOT of Pileated around and I love to see/ hear them. Kestrals are COOL too.
   I have spotted rose breasted grosbeaks, Scarlet taneger as well. I like the Pheobies, and Barn Swallows  too. I enjoy pretty much all nature has to offer. I have good "hand only"  loon call that I was taught by world class loon caller on Blue Mtn Lake (ADK's) about 15 yearsw ago. I called a mating male in one time while on a Canadian canoe trip with some troubles teens, they were AMAZED, "Mr. C can talk loon" , that night around te camp fire the other staff member called in a Bard owl, he swooped us while around the campfire. No doubt we created some memories on that trip.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!