iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I ain't Huntin in Wisconsin any more!

Started by Timber_Framer, December 18, 2004, 11:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timber_Framer

I was considering heading over to Wisconsin for the Black powder season but.....

Hunter Faces Charges for Shooting Llama

Fri Dec 17,11:07 AM ET  

MADISON, Wis. - A hunter faces two charges after shooting a llama that he mistook for a deer.

John M. Burger was charged with trespassing and a misdemeanor count of mistreatment of animals after he killed a llama named Snicker Doodle Silk that was grazing on land owned by Susan and Kevin Kovacs.

According to a criminal complaint, Burger was on land adjacent to the Kovacses' property when he shot the animal Nov. 9.

Burger told a Dane County sheriff's deputy he was in a tree stand when he spotted an animal grazing about 60 yards north.

Burger said he thought the animal was a deer, probably a doe, and he waited for it to raise its head. It did not and he shot at it. He then walked toward the animal and saw herds of llamas running around, realizing his mistake.

Burger reported the accidental shooting to the Kovacs family and apologized.

The trespassing charge carries a fine of up to $1,000 and the other count carries a fine of up to $10,000 and a nine-month jail term.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Texas Ranger

One incident involving one dumb butt shouldn't sway your decision.  If you know the area your hunting, and particularly the people you are hunting with, you should be perfectly safe.  Unless, of course, you look like llama. ::)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Timber_Framer

;D It was more of a tongue in cheek sort of post. Minnesotans are always in the mood for a good natured joke pointed at Wisconsin. Sorta like Texans and Arkies or Okies.
However I am tall and rather fury looking so maybe I'd best stay over here :o
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

beenthere

The murderer that shot six Wisconsin hunters probably won't get as stiff a sentence as this guy shooting the llama. I think we should require skills tests to be passed before getting a license to hunt, but it might cut down on the numbers of hunters which means less license money which means we won't see it happen, no how.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

CHARLIE

Timber_Framer, a guy around the Twin Cities shot a man's horse thinking it was a deer. There are dumb hunters everywhere!  When will people learn that if you aren't sure what it is, or can't see it clearly......don't pull the trigger. ::)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Timber_Framer

Oh I couldn't agree more!
From the way our father taught us how to hunt I can't conceive of any hunter shooting somehting that wasn't what he thought it was, the idea is inconceivable!
But it happens a lot!
I read this story the day before yesterday and while I was searching for it to share with ya'll I came across seven stories of hunters shooting llamas all over the country this season alone ??? ??? ???
That's why hunting guides in the Rockies have blaze orange draped all over their horses. Mistaking a horse for a game animal? Again inconceivable yet it happens all too often as well. ::)

Phorester

There was a country store owner here who had a game checking station.  He told me of the time a fellow brought in a dead crow he had shot and asked "where do I check in this turkey?"

Oh, it weighed 4 lbs., by the way.

WV_hillbilly

I don't consider people that do stupid things like that Hunters . They are Slobs.  In all of the hunter education courses I have ever went to they stressed make sure of your target  before even aiming at it .

In Kingwood WV  last month 5 guys got the idea to steal the DNR's robotic deer from a field during a poaching sting . One truck pulled up and spotlighted the deer . As soon as the pursuit began another truck pulled up and took the deer . The DNR officers lost site of the first truck  ,they went back and Bucky was gone .  Everything was going great until the dumbies decide to go for a drink at the local bar . The officers started driving around to see if the deer was  dumped along the road somewhere . They passed the bar and there was the deer in the back of one of the trucks .   In short it cost them 2 years hunting priveledges , and $1,244 each . So who got the last laugh ?
Hillbilly

J_T

Maybe Mr burger wanted a IIama burger  ??? Take a look how many people drive at or near dark and don't turn on their lights. Some of them even have a grey car and proubly going hunting too. They bound to kill sompthing one way or the outer
Jim Holloway

Norm

We sit up on a hill overlooking our farm land to the south, there's a gravel road that goes through the middle of our land. We didn't get it chisled this fall so the deer come out and feed in the corn stubble. On average of once a week I see someone out poaching deer. Found one of the fence gates down, while putting it back up noticed someone had field dressed a deer in the lane. Tried calling the DNR about it but they never returned my call. Oh well plenty of deer if they're that hungry.

rebocardo

> In all of the hunter education courses I have ever went
> to they stressed make sure of your target

I was laughing the first time I saw a dog near my property in central ME wearing an orange vest and a whip with an orange tennis ball on the end. Then you read the stories in the local newspapers ...

ellmoe

I guess "youall" have heard the story about the long-term elk hunter that finally had to take his wife hunting so she "could see what all the fuss was about". After leaving her with a cow elk tag on one side of the mountain, he went to the other side to try his luck. Shortly after daylight her heard a shot from his wife's direction. After a hurried 15 minute walk he came to a clearing and found his wife with a cowboy at rifle point. Startled, he then heard the cowboy shout, "lady, you can have the elk! Just let me get my saddle off it first!". ;D
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Ed_K

A number of yrs back, we got some hunters from the city come to hunt. They just about shot at any bush that the wind moved. One morning I finished up some chores, and went with them. When we got down to woods, I got out of my truck wearing my carhart coveralls, pulled out a white hanky and told them I was out there, and not to shoot anything that moved. When they quit grumbing and went off into the woods I went back to doing chores. They all left soon, and never came back  ;D.
Ed
Ed K

MULE_MAN

When we haul the Mules to Colorado to Elk Hunt we always tie that orange plastic 1"
tape all over there Halter, Bridle's  & the saddle .  I really wouldn't think much of having
my Mule shot out from under me !!!  When we get back to camp & put them in a small Electric
fence pen we put up They still will have orange strip on there halter & tied in there tails
I really don't trust some of  the hunters that are out there.   ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Thank You Sponsors!