iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Author Topic: Central Boiler Edge 750 Titanium  (Read 6660 times)

Offline superwd6

• Share Post
Re: Central Boiler Edge 750 Titanium
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2017, 09:38:31 PM »
If you try to take spring off make sure plate balances flat when solenoid is open or they can close crooked ,not seal and boil the water. Mine done that so I just glued nut to plate so it stayed straight for proper close.quite a few 2300 users done the paper clip to hold plate up ,give it air and keep coal bed hot but I didn't need to.

Offline superwd6

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2017, 09:42:50 PM »
Make sure that solenoid is getting proper voltage it's rated for as low voltage could burn them to

Offline Logging logginglogging

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2017, 08:34:05 AM »
Hey Super, yeah, i tested voltage and all was good. The old 2300 paperclip mod is what originally gave me the wire idea. But anyway.... It ran all last night with the grease and i left it to run all day today so we will see.

Offline Roger2561

• Love the outdoors
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2017, 06:45:18 AM »
Logging - It's been a few days since you last posted, I'm wondering how your Edge 750 is behaving itself these days?  Anymore trouble with solenoids burning out?  Roger

Offline overclocking

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2017, 10:47:55 PM »
With your "fix", won't it allow for air to enter the fire box during idle time perhaps even causing the water temp to creep a bit?  What's the purpose of the spring on the primary solenoid?  I have an E-Classic 1400 with a similar style of air intake set up but there is no spring to hold it down on the solenoid opening only it's weight does it.  I'm wondering what would happen if the spring was to be removed, if it were to make any difference in operation, essentially taking some of the load off the solenoid thus lessen the chance of it "sticking" to the elbow?  Just some thoughts.   Roger

Not to side track, but in response to your comment Roger I actually added those springs to my 1400. Its interesting that now the new models have them. I thought I was just "rigging" mine to stop it from eating up solenoids, turns out there must have been some need for it. On mine the spring I added is actually what saves them from melting when in the up position too long.

Also, even when my solenoids burned out they always got stuck open and the boiler never overheated. It did consume much more wood however and the temp did idle higher.

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2017, 11:04:25 AM »
Hi Guys,
after using some grease to prevent sticking in warmer weather conditions all was well. I did speak to CB and was told to remove the spring all together, and if it works they would send a longer spring. I asked about warrentee and was told i was safe to do this. I removed the spring and ran a few weeks successfully I then reached out to CB and told them of the successful run time. They said that's good and I actually do not need the spring at all. I have not had any solenoid issues since and have been happy with the boiler. My side arm install did not go that great due to the short hot water heater i have i will need to re-plumb the side arm this spring to be at more of an angle so water can circulate properly by convection. currently the side arm is a little too tall for this. I cleaned the boiler again and tested the water this last weekend and am very happy how easy it is to clean. It did go out that night from a lack of a sufficient cole bed, i re-lit it in the AM and have once again built a proper cole bed and all has been well this week.

1. cleaning tip i learned so far. Inside the reaction chamber there is a plate that just hangs toward the back and is hard to reach and remove and reinstall. If you look it has a 6-8 inch tab off the front of it with a slot. this slot fits the CB provided cleaning hoe perfectly and allows easy removal and install with the hoe. I am sure they intended this (possibly i missed that in the manual).

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2017, 07:36:03 AM »
@Roger2561..... no posts for a while... due to hunting season. i am back..

Offline DDW_OR

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2017, 12:25:16 PM »
@Roger2561..... no posts for a while... due to hunting season. i am back..

the real question is, did you have any luck?
Multitek 1610EZ, TimberKing 2000 & Talon Sharpener,
"let the machines do the work"

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2017, 09:09:26 AM »
only in bow season....
all rifle and freeloader i was coughing and hacking ....

now its like real winter here... plowing and burning wood..

Offline Roger2561

• Love the outdoors
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2017, 10:58:20 AM »
Logging - I'm happy to hear that your 750 is operating flawlessly now.  Who would of have thought that a simple spring would cause such a headache.  Now that real winter whether has approached us, how is it doing with keeping up with the demand?  We had -8 F this morning in my area of NH and it's supposed to get colder as the week moves along.  Roger

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2017, 10:41:21 AM »
we have had -20  the last 2 days or so... and its doing just as good as the old boiler did. It seems to burn less wood than the old one as well.

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2018, 01:42:40 PM »
Well so far so good this winter! I haven't had any more solenoid problems since removing the spring on the cover. Its burning well and burning efficiently. It is much easier to clean them my old boiler. Though in the spring i plan to remove air channel covers and such and truly inspect and clean everything. We have had some really cold stretches this winter and its been great. It certainly has now gained all the confidence i had in my old boiler.

Offline 747mopar

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2018, 11:51:40 PM »
I'll be following along as I've got one coming too. After some researching I learned that all new models (HD's) come with stepper motors vs solenoids, come standard with stainless fireboxes and WiFi and have a rear door for accessing the heat exchanger so that's what I ordered (750 Edge Titanium HD). Hope it works out for you.

Offline DDW_OR

• Share Post
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2018, 03:00:38 AM »
I'll be following along as I've got one coming too. After some researching I learned that all new models (HD's) come with stepper motors vs solenoids, come standard with stainless fireboxes and WiFi and have a rear door for accessing the heat exchanger so that's what I ordered (750 Edge Titanium HD). Hope it works out for you.

I LIKE THOSE UPGRADES

wish i had them, especially the "rear door for accessing the heat exchanger"

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2018, 03:07:45 PM »
But you have the plate for accessing the heat exchange. and you really should only have to do that once a year anyway at shutdown. As for motors you can convert to those, but you can still have the same problem with them as the solenoid, if the plate sticks down the inrush current can be to much and pop the breaker and possibly burn out the motor if its really stuck down. I can say that the motor would be more expensive to replace than a solenoid.

Offline DDW_OR

• Share Post
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2018, 04:00:17 PM »
But you have the plate for accessing the heat exchange. and you really should only have to do that once a year anyway at shutdown. As for motors you can convert to those, but you can still have the same problem with them as the solenoid, if the plate sticks down the inrush current can be to much and pop the breaker and possibly burn out the motor if its really stuck down. I can say that the motor would be more expensive to replace than a solenoid.
my plates are inside and about 30 inches from the front

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2018, 11:59:50 AM »
So the winter was going pretty good. Got home last night my wife come running out saying "look at the boiler" So i do and its over boiling and steaming....
I turned on all my zones full blast and checked out the boiler. Turns out that solenoid that I was told could be run without the spring was stuck up in the open position. Since I new expect this thing to brake down all the time I have spare parts on hand so i replaced the solenoid AGAIN, like the 4th or 5th one this season. I then waited for the thing to cool down so i could run it normally. So not only am I spending money out of pocket for parts I now have to go buy more of their *DanG expensive chemicals that go in the water since they boiled and steamed out with the water. This has gotten really old. I went with this company because my old boiler by them was trouble free as well as the old one by them that my father has. I guess they don't make them like they used to. Imagine when could have happened if i didn't return yesterday, just last week we left for 24hrs.

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2018, 12:07:20 PM »

Offline 747mopar

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2018, 09:50:47 PM »
I haven't started using mine yet so forgive me if I'm not understanding this correctly. This damper door your having trouble with regulates the intake air correct? If it's an intake then this buildup means the draft is traveling the wrong direction? Is it windy where your located? I also see you don't have a chimney cap or at least doesn't look like it? I'm just curious if your getting gust of wind occasionally forcing the exhaust the wrong direction?

My line of thinking is if there's a lot of people out there using these and very few having this issue then you need to start looking at what might be different in your case. Just thinking

Offline DDW_OR

• Share Post
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2018, 01:34:32 AM »
747mopar brings up a good point

is the door for the solenoid kept closed?
is the blower working?

mine does not show black soot on the insulation

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Anyone with a new Central boiler Classic Edge Titanium series boiler yet?

Started by Logging logginglogging on Firewood and Wood Heating

15 Replies
Last post June 18, 2017, 10:06:05 PM
by Logging logginglogging
xx
Central boiler titanium

Started by DDW_OR on Firewood and Wood Heating

0 Replies
Last post September 15, 2018, 10:29:37 PM
by DDW_OR
xx
Central Boiler Classic 6048 or Edge 750