iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Free Walnut

Started by 123maxbars, July 08, 2017, 08:01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I got some free walnut timber this past week, A land owner contacted me that wanted some cut down to make way for a home build. I plan on using some of the timber for braces in a Timber Frame build in the future. They were smaller logs but I saved them from being burned/wasted. The only requirement was that I leave the stumps high.  The land owner wanted to go back over them with an excavator to pull them out. Not an ideal way to harvest but hard to complain when you get free Walnut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVOBGbo2_qE&t=241s
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Kbeitz

Hey no problem... When he is all finished go back and get the stumps...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

paul case

Good job on the logging and the video. I really enjoy all your videos you put up here.

Walnut log buyers here complain if you let your hinge pull any fibers out of the heart wood. Sometimes with a hinge like you cut on those it will pull a 2' long stick out of the heart and leave it on the stump. I was taught to keep that from happening by cutting a felling notch like you did then cutting out the heart that would be in the hinge leaving only a small hinge near the sapwood on each side. That way when you cut all the back wood out the heart will almost all be cut off. The sapwood almost always will break without pulling out.

I know you stated you are not selling these, but someday you may cut some to sell so you may want to practice this method in the future,even on other species. I didnt worry about it when I was logging oak until the sawmill I sold to asked me to cut a 2' piece off the butt log if it pulled out. That got my attention. It will make better logs for you to mill as well. Before I started to cutting walnut this way I had a couple leaners that split the log because of too much hinge wood. With the heart cut out I have never had that happen.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

MbfVA

Did I see poison ivy on those logs or was it one of those irksome look-alikes?  Nice looking walnut, though.  Tractor driver looked very prof w that loaner orange!
www.ordinary.com (really)

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

wayback40

Paul,
I read your post on felling the tree without losing heartwood.  After you make your wedge cut are you cutting the heartwood from the wedge side or from the back side?  Trying to picture the process in my mind.
Wood-Mizer LT15

nativewolf

Quote from: MbfVA on July 09, 2017, 01:42:14 PM
Did I see poison ivy on those logs or was it one of those irksome look-alikes?  Nice looking walnut, though.  Tractor driver looked very prof w that loaner orange!

Same thought.  I've been cutting some vines off around our new home and man, 4" diameter on one vine of poison ivy.  I mean...crazy stuff. 

Liking Walnut

nativewolf

The trees were definitely keepers, glad you saved them from the firewood pile!  Heck with Walnut prices you had a few dollars on logs on the trailer even if they were small.

One thought, long bar for small trees on the edge of a field.  Do you find it gets in the way?  I'm asking because I've got a bit of similar sort of terrain to clean up around.
Liking Walnut

WDH

Sure looked like poison ivy to me.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SlowJoeCrow

Hope you don't get poison ivy!!!  It would not be good if I sat on a log like that, :o :o I started scatching just watching the video.  My wife however is immune to the symptoms, she could roll in it and be fine.

OffGrid973

Great video but I would have stopped every hour and bath in Tecnu Extreme to get those ivy oils off...still itching from the viewing.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

123maxbars

Quote from: WDH on July 10, 2017, 07:14:33 AM

It was Danny I am paying for it now, the Walnut gods had the last laugh,
going back next week for more!

I am a glutton for punishment
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

red

Drink goats milk and use goats milk soap.  Some farmers feed poison ivy to the goats to make the milk stronger .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Ben Cut-wright

Quote from: 123maxbars on July 13, 2017, 02:53:35 AM

Little doubt it was poison ivy.  Must not have bothered you in the past as it appears you paid no heed to prevention.  The exposure you encountered in your video would have put me in the hospital.  There are some folks who can be covered in rash and blisters and have little discomfort. Are you one of those?  Then there are folks like me, who immediately erupt in itchy oozing blisters for three weeks or more. Poison Ivy is another risk that must be contended with if one is gonna be outdoors.  Dust, smoke, residue on logs, even clothes and pets contaminated with it can be carriers.  Sure hope your suffering isn't severe.  Technu products are helpful in somewhat lessening the outbreak, if used soon after exposure.  Jewelweed products are very useful in relieving the itch.  I find keeping the affected area covered is most helpful in lessening the itch.  Cut the end out of a cotton socks for covering the limbs.  Huge vines with their myriads of aerial roots cover many otherwise valuable trees here.  Cutting these trees down, bucking the logs, forwarding, handling at the mill, and dealing with slabs are all threats when poison ivy was growing on or near the trees.  This is one example of how useful a carefully manipulated "ten foot pole" can be. 

nativewolf

Wear long sleeves, gloves, pants.  Carry machete (ok you are a he man that uses an axe) to cut and pry away vines from the trunk prior to chainsaw work.  Chainsawing poison ivy makes it an aerosol like...well poison cloud.  So, if you can keep the vines out of the chainsaw with that axe you'll create very few particles floating around.  Helps to duct tape sleeves of shirt and gloves if you have a helper.  Probably nothing you don't know but I am quite allergic and hate the dadgum stuff.  Where's the goat when you need him.
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Quote from: Ben Cut-wright on July 13, 2017, 10:48:19 AM

Little doubt it was poison ivy.  Must not have bothered you in the past as it appears you paid no heed to prevention.  The exposure you encountered in your video would have put me in the hospital.  There are some folks who can be covered in rash and blisters and have little discomfort. Are you one of those?  Then there are folks like me, who immediately erupt in itchy oozing blisters for three weeks or more. Poison Ivy is another risk that must be contended with if one is gonna be outdoors.  Dust, smoke, residue on logs, even clothes and pets contaminated with it can be carriers.  Sure hope your suffering isn't severe.  Technu products are helpful in somewhat lessening the outbreak, if used soon after exposure.  Jewelweed products are very useful in relieving the itch.  I find keeping the affected area covered is most helpful in lessening the itch.  Cut the end out of a cotton socks for covering the limbs.  Huge vines with their myriads of aerial roots cover many otherwise valuable trees here.  Cutting these trees down, bucking the logs, forwarding, handling at the mill, and dealing with slabs are all threats when poison ivy was growing on or near the trees.  This is one example of how useful a carefully manipulated "ten foot pole" can be.
prednisone should be your friend then if you have that much of an issue.  Has your doctor every prescribed it?
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

I'd go back too!
Liking Walnut

Kbeitz

Baby oil your skin before working with it. The oil will fill your
skin pores and lets no room for the oil from the ivy.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Josef

Prednisone usually knocks it out for me in about two days, from full blown misery to dried up bumps. I can get the rash just being in the vicinity it seems, so I keep some prednisone pills in my truck when I'm away from home, seems every other year I get into it. Need a prescription though.
In my house I'm the boss, I know this because my wife said so, I only hope she doesn't change her mind!

New to me Timber Harvester that I'm learning to operate, been building a home built mill for a while, should be ready to make sawdust with it someday if I ever quit "modifying" the design.

SlowJoeCrow

As a Land Surveyor, I learned right quick what poison ivy was and how to id it.

Ben Cut-wright

Quote from: nativewolf on July 13, 2017, 11:00:45 AM
prednisone should be your friend then if you have that much of an issue.  Has your doctor every prescribed it?

Thank you for the advice.  Haven't had a significant outbreak of poison ivy since I was a youngster.  Preventative measures are very effective and so much safer than risking the side affects of Prednisone.   

Planman1954

Thanks for the video...it was great!
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Thank You Sponsors!