iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What motor to use for powerfeed on homemade mill.

Started by Joe Hillmann, July 08, 2017, 06:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Hillmann

I am thinking of building a power feed for the carriage on my homemade mill but don't have a clue what type of motor I should be looking for that will work.

I don't know what type of 12 volt motor could handle being run constantly without burning out.  I had thought maybe a winch motor but I don't know if it would last.

Kbeitz

E-bay... Tarp motor. 12v
I went with wheelchair motors. 24v is easier to find.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Joe Hillmann

I assume you mean a tarp motor like off a dump truck?  What would you use for speed control, a PWM control?

Kbeitz

Go to E-bay and just type in tarp motor. It's one of your only choice for a 12v
gear motor. I don't know the rpm but I watched them run at our local junkyard
and the rmp look about right. Google says 60 RPM
Then do a search for 

DC 10-50V 60A Motor Speed Control PWM HHO RC Controller 12V 24V 48V 3000W

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ga Mtn Man

Of course a gear motor isn't your only option.  Wood-Mizer uses a 12VDC motor with v-belt pulleys to do the speed reduction. 
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Kbeitz

I don't see how you could use a motor with out some kind of gear reduction..
The carriage does not move very fast.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ssspeciale

I used a  12 volt 2500lb winch and a pwm. I cut a section of the winch spool out in the center until it was about 1.5"wide and added a 3"diameter chunk of delrin plastic to increase the diameter so the travel speed would be faster. I use the pwm to regulate the speed going forward cutting. The return speed(reverse) is full speed. You can change your full speed by changing the diameter of the delrin you put on the spool. I would say mine with the 3" is around 80 to 100 feet per minute.

3"

larrydown60

I used a 12v steering motor $40.00 for a 08 Chevy Cobalt works good with a $9.00 speed controller on forward speed only 

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: Kbeitz on July 09, 2017, 08:36:59 PM
I don't see how you could use a motor with out some kind of gear reduction..
The carriage does not move very fast.

"... Wood-Mizer uses a 12VDC motor with v-belt pulleys to do the speed reduction."
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: ssspeciale on July 09, 2017, 09:10:41 PM
I used a  12 volt 2500lb winch and a pwm. I cut a section of the winch spool out in the center until it was about 1.5"wide and added a 3"diameter chunk of delrin plastic to increase the diameter so the travel speed would be faster. I use the pwm to regulate the speed going forward cutting. The return speed(reverse) is full speed. You can change your full speed by changing the diameter of the delrin you put on the spool. I would say mine with the 3" is around 80 to 100 feet per minute.

3"

When you are using it all day does the winch over heat?  I had thought of something like that but didn't know if it would be up to the task without burning out,  I also wasn't sure if it could be controlled with a pwm controller.

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: larrydown60 on July 09, 2017, 09:23:29 PM
I used a 12v steering motor $40.00 for a 08 Chevy Cobalt works good with a $9.00 speed controller on forward speed only

does that require a pwm or a stepper motor controller?  I looked at pictures of it and can't tell if it is a gear motor or a stepper motor.

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on July 09, 2017, 05:56:19 PM
Of course a gear motor isn't your only option.  Wood-Mizer uses a 12VDC motor with v-belt pulleys to do the speed reduction.

I think I would prefer a gear motor over v belts to slow it down,  unless there is a benefit I'm not seeing to using v belts.

paul case

I guess if I was doing it I would look at whats available through surpluscenter.com.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Kbeitz

Stepper motor controllers can only be used on stepper motors.

One of the reasons I used wheelchair motors is the low amps they draw.
Winch motors are high powered motors that draw high amps.
You best have a real good charging system if your going to use one.
The controller would also be very expensive for high amp motors.
Wheelchair motors are geared to turn a 12" wheel at walking speed.
That works out great for the carriage speed. Used wheelchair motors
are sold cheap on E-bay and if you have a junkyard around most of
them have old electric wheelchairs in them. I see about one a month
come in to our local yard. Another neat thing about the wheelchair
gear box is that they have a quick disconnect leaver. For raising the
carriage a wheelchair motor connected to a worm gear winch works
great.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

fishfighter

Quote from: larrydown60 on July 09, 2017, 09:23:29 PM

Any pictures of how you have it rigged up?

I'm using wheel chair motors and it's control still. I have to have both motors hooked up for the system to work and I used two lawn mower batteries to power it up. Been wanting to drop to one motor the way K has posted. Just haven't had the time to do it yet. :(

ssspeciale

When you are using it all day does the winch over heat?  I had thought of something like that but didn't know if it would be up to the task without burning out,  I also wasn't sure if it could be controlled with a pwm controller.

It has been on the mill for about a year so far without any problems. I doesn't get hot I don't think its working hard enough to cause any problems. The whole set up only cost about $110. I used the cable that came on the winch($50) instead of a chain. I also bought 2 pulleys with bearings for a garage door cable and a turnbuckle. I used a drum switch(ebay) for fwd/rev and the pwm (ebay) and the wire that came with the winch. All the parts cost about $70. It runs off the battery that starts the mill engine (25 hp Honda).no issues with the engine keeping the system charged.

larrydown60

Joe Hillman I am not sure what you mean? I am using a speed controler on forward speed only. I burned up the first controller because it was only 20 amp rated I ordered a 40 amp one it should be here by Friday.

larrydown60

fish fighter, I will post more pics tomorrow of how it is wired up there are pics of the motor with gears and chain setup, if you need special pics just tell me what you want to see and I will post them

fishfighter

Thanks Larry. You said you paid $40 for that motor. Was that new or a used motor?

With the wheelchair motors, I been very happy with it. Guess I really need to take the time to swap it over with the controller like K has posted.

bandmiller2

Forget low volt electric go hydraulic and add a log turner too. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

I'm with Frank, put on a 6 hp gas motor with a hyd pump, way more realiable, infinite speed control plus you'll have hyd for a chain turner, toe boards, loader arms, log stop, clamp etc.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: Kbeitz on July 10, 2017, 11:05:37 PM
Stepper motor controllers can only be used on stepper motors.

One of the reasons I used wheelchair motors is the low amps they draw.
Winch motors are high powered motors that draw high amps.
You best have a real good charging system if your going to use one.
The controller would also be very expensive for high amp motors.
Wheelchair motors are geared to turn a 12" wheel at walking speed.
That works out great for the carriage speed. Used wheelchair motors
are sold cheap on E-bay and if you have a junkyard around most of
them have old electric wheelchairs in them. I see about one a month
come in to our local yard. Another neat thing about the wheelchair
gear box is that they have a quick disconnect leaver. For raising the
carriage a wheelchair motor connected to a worm gear winch works
great.

How do you deal with them being 24 volt and the mill and charging system being only 12?

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: bandmiller2 on July 12, 2017, 07:03:29 AM
Forget low volt electric go hydraulic and add a log turner too. Frank C.

I would love too but even using second hand parts a hydraulic system gets expensive quick.

fishfighter

I'm with Joe on that. I will be installing two toe boards that will be powered with 12V winches which I have on hand. That will take a third battery, but I don't get on the road with my mill. ;D

ladylake

Repairing burnt out malfunctioning electric components get  expensive  plus wasted time, hydraulics will cost less in the long run.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!