iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eagle Watching

Started by WV Sawmiller, July 12, 2017, 12:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

I dragged my reluctant wife out of bed at or before 0600 the last 2 mornings to run my catfish lines with me. Today we had a poor catch (5 fish  total 20 lbs) but plenty of bait for tonight so she wanted to "run the river" looking for things to photograph. We had several photogenic blue herons then we began to spot the eagles. I think all total we spotted at least half a dozen eagles. Several white headed adults, one very brown and mottled color which I assume is a juvenile and another that was just beginning to shot a hint of white in his tail. My favorite was the juvenile who we never spotted till he flew off the perch ahead of us. He tried to light on a dead limb which broke and startled his mom who was perched on the same tree. He crossed the river and she flew on down a piece. When we spotted her she was in a sycamore and stayed there till we got within 40-50 yards of her. Becky got dozens of pictures of and the best since we photographed one in a raptor center near the equator in Ecuador in December 2008.

We also got pictures of an Osprey and a couple of a kingfisher. I spotted an old doe on the bank and Becky said she saw the fawn but there was too much brush for good pictures. The only thing missing was a little green heron which act like little grumpy old men some times.

Becky also wanted mink and otter pictures but they are hard to spot this time of the year when the river bank is covered in brush and green leaves.

Becky will add the pictures to her collection/portfolio and maybe some day you will see them on a magazine cover.

Sampson had a good time though. He loves to bark at the catfish as I land them and take them off the lines. If I could just get him to bark that vicious at a squirrel I would be in business.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

JV

Nothing more peaceful than being on the river or lake in the morning.  We have two rivers that come together just south of us.  In the early spring the eagles are all along the banks for miles.  In the winter you will see them around openings in the ice on the reservoirs.  I have seen a dozen around one opening.  Sure a far cry from when I was a young kid when eagles, deer, and turkeys were something you just read about.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Thank You Sponsors!