iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cooks sharpener

Started by irvi00, August 10, 2017, 08:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

I ordered 10 wheels yesterday. A mix of colors. That ought to last me for a long time. I'm using the last black rock I had bought from WM now. I think I bought it 5 years ago or more. Do they even sell them any more?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

LeeB

Quote from: Deese on September 21, 2017, 03:02:27 PM
YH- I've always used the 3/8" thick rock. I just went to Cook's website and it appears that the only size Ruby they have is the 1/4" thick rock. That's 1/8" thinner than what I'm used to. Is that what you normally use?  Just make an extra pass or two and extending the pushing "fork" further to compensate for the 1/8" loss in thickness? Shouldn't matter, right?

I had always used a 1/4" rock before my last order and have never been able to get the proper profile. I switched to 3/8" rocks this last order and will never use a 1/4" again. Finally for the first time in all the years I have sharpened my own blades I'm getting the correct profile.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

kelLOGg

Do you dress the ruby colored stones the same way as the blue ones?
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

LeeB

For now I have only used the black 3/8 stone because I had a lot of blades I wanted to re-profile but I will dress the stones the same regardless of the color.

YellowHammer

Quote from: kelLOGg on January 11, 2018, 01:11:17 PM
Do you dress the ruby colored stones the same way as the blue ones?
Its important to dress each stone exactly to the same working profile.  Once I had one correct, I would push the edge into a light piece of metal deep onto the stone, and real time cut the profile into the metal, much like making a master key.  From then on, all I had to do to check was slide the gauge of the wheel to check.

The ruby stones hold their profile much longer, getting a more predictable and consistent blade to blade profile.  This also makes successive sharpening easier.   
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

kelLOGg

My question about dressing the ruby stone wasn't clear. Do you use the same dressing stone to dress the ruby as you do the blue stone?
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Chuck White

I'm not sure Bob, but I would think that it wouldn't make any difference what you used to dress the wheel with as long as it got dressed!

Just sayin'!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

YellowHammer

Quote from: kelLOGg on January 12, 2018, 08:10:44 PM
My question about dressing the ruby stone wasn't clear. Do you use the same dressing stone to dress the ruby as you do the blue stone?
Bob
Yes.  No problem. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

bandmiller2

Can't bring myself to call them rocks sounds so crude, they are grinding wheels or just wheels for short. I use the ceramic blue or the reds interchangeably and really can't tell the difference. Both seem to last forever. Probably shouldn't say this but once I shape a new wheel I seldom retouch it and when I do I use a diamond grit dresser. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!