TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Sleep apnea  (Read 6102 times)

Offline xlogger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Sleep apnea
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2018, 06:20:00 PM »
I might be joining your club next week, I'm going in Tuesday for the sleep study. Pretty sure I'll fail. I wake up sometimes at night losing my breathe. I was suppose to get test about a year ago but had to cancel for bypass surgery. This getting older isn't for sissies. >:(
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2018, 09:00:10 AM »
This getting older isn't for sissies. >:(
 Boy ain't this the truth :( .
Ed K

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • made 70-11 and still feelin pretty darned good!
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2018, 05:08:44 PM »
starmac I have often wondered about whether the test is bogus but i do seem to sleep better with the machine.
Linda told me that I did stop breathing before the CPAP as well as snoring.
As regards the humidifier, I can tell the instant the water is gone as it wakes me up and the air has a distinct odor to it that i cant describe.
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo
241 acres of woodland

Offline DPatton

• Share Post
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2018, 07:14:24 PM »
Interestingly enough the insurance company may quite possibly think the whole Cpap thing is bogus as well. As they require proof of my using the machine on a regular basis for a set minimum number of hours per use. 

My medical provider is actually able to remotely monitor my unit and confirm that I am not only using it (meaning its not unplugged and just sitting in a closet somewhere). But they are also able to confirm when and for how long I use the machine for. 

The gal who set my machine up and trained me how to use it informed me that she will remotely check my usage of the Cpap from time to time via a connection thru her cell phone. Said she does this not only to satisfy the insurance companies proof of usage requirements but also to see that the unit is working for me. Then with an uncomfortable little chuckle of a laugh she swore she won’t spend a lot of time stocking me and my Cpap usage :o :o :o. True story.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2018, 08:45:42 PM »
Those have a come along way. I had a card in mine I would bring in for the Dr to read.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline tawilson

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2018, 04:15:36 AM »
I've got the Resmed S10 and have an account set up with them and can check my usage and results online. And they email me a 🌟if I do good.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2018, 04:46:09 AM »
Mother had a test done, then of course they started pushing the $2000 model. I looked at the thing, it might cost $150 to build. That there was enough to call quackery. :D She couldn't stand wearing anything like that at night. Heck, a red diode on an alarm clock will keep her awake. I said close your eyes. :D

If you guys are all getting relief and feel good with these things, I say keep on doing what you need to do to be happy. :)

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2018, 10:26:56 AM »
The CPAP didn't work for me! 

My doc told me to talk to my dentist about it. I did. 

He did some measurements and a few different x rays including one that you stand in the middle of a contraption and a camera rotates 360 degrees. 

He showed me that I needed a "re alignment" of my lower jaw as he referred to it. He had a dental appliance made that is a VERY minor inconvenience that I dont even notice now. 

Cost me 60 bucks plus the dental visit which was another 40 I think. and that is CND $.

Problem solved.   
If you ain't livin on the edge you are takin up way to much room. Of course at my age if I get too close to that edge any more theres a good chance I may fall off.
2001 Dodge 1500 4x4. 2018 F150
2007 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 almost Super
2 Logrite 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Team Physician
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2018, 06:18:28 PM »
The investigators of sleep apnea debate the "chicken of the egg" issue relating sleep apnea and obesity, as poor sleep has been demonstrated to promote weight gain.  One thing is for sure, there is a definite correlation between weight and sleep apnea. There are too many studies to list and/or quote here verifying that fact.  While there are always exceptions......

Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Body Weight
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2018, 06:35:17 PM »
Dr B I am sure weight was a factor in my case too as I was near 290 lbs at the time I started to use the mouth appliance. I know that better sleep was a factor in losing weight BUT it wasn't the only thing that helped. Eating better food AND only eating out once or twice month helped the most. Today I am 205 - 210 and feel a thousand percent better.

BUT the appliance still helps me sleep much better.
If you ain't livin on the edge you are takin up way to much room. Of course at my age if I get too close to that edge any more theres a good chance I may fall off.
2001 Dodge 1500 4x4. 2018 F150
2007 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 almost Super
2 Logrite 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Offline DPatton

• Share Post
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2018, 08:35:25 PM »
I will agree with the weight and general fitness condition in my case too. I have had a serious problem with snoring since my late 20’s. I have  been overweight the majority of my life except for a 3-4 year stint in my forties when I got down to 175 lbs for the first time since I was a sophomore in high school :) :) (you guys will get a kick out of how this happened).

My wife and I were a one child family with an 11 year old daughter and no plans for more children. Then one day at work my wife calls me and says she’s pregnant! ??? ??? ??? :o :o :o :P :P :P :P (Hummm, Howww theeee, whhhaaaatttt??) I was completely in shock! At age 42 I was having the first (and only) panic attack I had ever had in my life. It lasted for several days. I was completely mortified by the thought of having another child!!!

During that era of my life I started eating much less and drinking the hard stuff much more. I started running for exercise and was typically knocking down about fifteen miles and 2-3 bottles of bourbon a week. Got in great shape physically and my snoring was non-existent. But I was not in such a great place with all the booze. 

My son Jesse James was born on Feb. 17th, 2009 and I ran my first (and only)half marathon in May, 2009 at age 43. Truth is I could’nt have been more proud of my new son Jesse James or of my achievement of getting in shape and completing a half marathon. But the booze was taking its toll and had to stop. My poor wife was also getting about fed up with having a 2/3’s pickled husband a good portion of the time too.

Eventually I stopped the out of control boozing, and a 30 year habit of Skoal Origional Fine Cut. Unfortunetly I quit the running too. I resorted back to my old ways of over eating or not eating as healthy as I should. The weight came back and so did the over the top snoring that led me to my sleep apnea problem. 

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.

Offline Gary_C

• Senior Member x2
  • Sunrise on the Prairie
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2018, 11:06:48 PM »
Interestingly enough the insurance company may quite possibly think the whole Cpap thing is bogus as well. As they require proof of my using the machine on a regular basis for a set minimum number of hours per use.

It's not so much the insurance company's believe it bogus as there have been far too many people that have acquired a machine and never used it much or just tried it for a while and quit.

My wife just started on one again and the insurance, thru Medicare requires that you lease the machine for six months while you prove your usage. It's a lease/purchase program and the insurance pays the rental and then after six months they pay the balance if you are using it. If not, the patient must return the machine and pay the rental fee.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Offline xlogger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2018, 06:53:09 AM »
Just got home from my overnight test. what a miserable night. Got there at 7pm, they started hooking me up and she said she would come to put me to bed after she hooked up her 9pm appointment. I told her if they wanted to get so much time with me sleeping with the machine that I usually go to bed early around 9. She didn't come in till 11 that night to finish hooking me up for sleep. I was *pithed. I got up around 4:30 and told them I usually get up about that time and would not go back to sleep, she said I needed to try for another hour. I hope they got the results they needed. 
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2018, 08:49:10 AM »
Kinda short handed there?
When I had mine done,they wanted me to stick to my rountine,which would of been around 9-9:30pm for me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2018, 09:18:32 AM »

It's not so much the insurance company's believe it bogus as there have been far too many people that have acquired a machine and never used it much or just tried it for a while and quit.

My wife just started on one again and the insurance, thru Medicare requires that you lease the machine for six months while you prove your usage. It's a lease/purchase program and the insurance pays the rental and then after six months they pay the balance if you are using it. If not, the patient must return the machine and pay the rental fee.
I see them selling at estate sales from time to time. I picked one up for $10 as a spare and to keep in Tenn so I don't have to lug mine back and forth. Blew it out, changed the hose, filter, tank and hose. Good to go. It's a older one but works fine.
The First 60 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline Ford_man

• Share Post
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2018, 09:59:16 AM »
I got tested at home ,doing it my self. I had to do it to get my DOT med card renewed. I was put out of service until I got the machine. Then was told I had to be on it for 30 days before I could get my med card. That was NOT true went to a different provider and was told that the first provider could give me a conditional med card for 90 days. That loss of revenue was a$20,000 I was very unhappy. The only benefit that I have got from using it is I'm not as short of breath as before.

Offline xlogger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2018, 06:23:38 AM »
I'm going to have to reread all this posts again and pay more attention to all the suggestions. My Doctor called and said I tested positive on the sleep test so I've got to make an appt to get a mask.

Offline submarinesailor

• Senior Member x2
  • LT15 and a wife of 45 yrs
    • Share Post
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2018, 10:09:35 AM »
Well I guess its my turn to jump into this conversation. ::)

Back in January I came down with a VERY BAD sinus infection that took two sets of different antibiotics (16 days) and a daily dose of steroids (for the inflammation in my left ear) to finally clear it up.  With all this, plus having an other stout one back in October, the doctors finally give me a referral to the ENT clinic at the new Fort Belvoir hospital.  Yesterday I found out at that 3 broken noses have taken there toll.  The examining doctor couldn't get the scope past the mess to see into the sinus cavity.  The right side is blocked up high and the left is blocked down low.  When I say blocked, I mean they are too narrow to get the scope past the mess/blockage.  No wonder I can't sleep on my back anymore - hoping that's the problems anyways.

I now have a appointment to get a CT of my sinus.  I guess we well see what is going on inside my head....at least the front part anyways.  No telling what's wrong in the gray matter. ::) ::) ::) ;D

Offline xlogger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2018, 07:34:54 PM »
question for you guys that been thru this. They called me today and wanted to set up an appointment for another overnight to set me up for the equipment. Did you guys here have to do that? I got a little mad and said I didn't think I had to go back in there again. 

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2018, 08:54:06 PM »
I guess every insurance / medical is different.  I had to go to a class with about 15 other people to explain what apnea was and to show us the equipment.  Then we each took home a diagnostic unit (looked exactly like what I got in the end).  It recorded all night my episodes and adjusted pressures to figure out what I needed.

I returned that the next day for them to read the card.  They called me to say I needed one and they sent it out via Apria (medical supply distributor) directly to my house.  Easy peezy.

Seems like the way to do it.  There was one doctor or nurse talking to the group for 30 to 45 minutes, a tech and/or a Dr. to review the readings (5 minutes?) and order the device.  Done.  Very little "labor" on their part.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
sleep apnea

Started by thedeeredude on General Board

8 Replies
Last post October 20, 2007, 11:31:11 AM
by junkyard
moved
MOVED: Sleep apnea

Started by Roxie on General Board

0 Replies
Last post August 16, 2017, 12:21:39 PM
by Roxie