The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Mushrooms!  (Read 2795 times)

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: Mushrooms!
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2018, 08:28:31 PM »
   Okay, I went back yesterday and harvested the hen of the woods, confirmed that was what it was and cleaned it last night. Tonight I was looking for recipes to cook it and saw a suggestion about stir frying so I grabbed my wok, coated the bottom well with olive oil and finely diced a garlic clove then when it was hot I added a big double handful of the mushrooms and covered. Meanwhile I was boiling a box of tri-color pasta noodles. I drained the noodles when done and cooked most of the water out of the mushrooms, salted lightly, added black pepper and soy sauce then added the noodles and heated through. Pretty tasty IMHO. I'd rather have used egg noodles but we were out. Maybe for the next batch.

I like cooking in a wok. I could easily see slicing a steak real thin and cooking it done then adding some more mushrooms and making a sauce with corn starch and water cooking done and serving over rice.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2018, 07:06:55 PM »
  Okay, I went back yesterday and harvested the hen of the woods, confirmed that was what it was and cleaned it last night. Tonight I was looking for recipes to cook it and saw a suggestion about stir frying so I grabbed my wok, coated the bottom well with olive oil and finely diced a garlic clove then when it was hot I added a big double handful of the mushrooms and covered. Meanwhile I was boiling a box of tri-color pasta noodles. I drained the noodles when done and cooked most of the water out of the mushrooms, salted lightly, added black pepper and soy sauce then added the noodles and heated through. Pretty tasty IMHO. I'd rather have used egg noodles but we were out. Maybe for the next batch.

I like cooking in a wok. I could easily see slicing a steak real thin and cooking it done then adding some more mushrooms and making a sauce with corn starch and water cooking done and serving over rice.

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Looks tasty! Yup that looks like a hen of the woods to me. Ive been keeping an eye out for them in my area, however no luck so far. The "chicken of the woods" or "sulfer shelf" is more orange in color (as in Banjo picker's pictures). They're pretty good eating also, they do have a texture almost like chicken and a fairly meaty flavor. 
- WoodMizer LT25, Kohler, all manual, old "drag" style WoodMizer sharpener, cat claw single  setter
- Husqvarna 372XP X-Torque/24" bar, 455 Rancher X-Torque/20" bar, 550XP/20" bar, Stihl 024AV/18" Oregon speedcut
- Kioti DK45, '92 Dodge Cummins with Cannonball  bed, '07 Honda Rancher

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2018, 07:39:30 PM »
Happy Birthday.

We had several good meals off the Hen of the Woods. Had the Pasta shown above, made steak and mushrooms and served it over rice, took the leftover and diced it up and made fried rice with that, added some to a frozen pizza and with the last made egg noodles and mushrooms. All but the pizza were wok meals. All were very good and I'll be very alert for any more I see.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline LaneC

• Traveling Man
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2018, 05:23:42 PM »
  Does anyone have a suggestion on a good mushroom identification book? I have also wanted to edge u ma cate myself on edible mushrooms. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Offline curved-wood

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2018, 06:06:03 PM »

I had to be patient ( 2 years !) before I had eaten my first wild mushroom. We took 2 days of formation with 2 different teams. But friends guiding us was the best learning. I dont eat very many different species ...may 4 or 5. But that gives me plenty. Last summer we harvested propably around 100 pounds mostly chanterelles and lobster mushroom. I stick only to the one I know very well.  Although I am still learnig a lot I dont take chances

Offline curved-wood

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2018, 06:35:39 PM »
For identification I use different sources and not only books. An excellent internet site that is very professionnal:    https://www.mycoquebec.org/bienvenue.php
A lot of pictures . Could be very technical for identification. Although the main page offer you the choice of language ( at the top of the front page ) , it is mainly in french; you could use Google translator or Reverso

Offline LaneC

• Traveling Man
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2018, 11:20:25 AM »
  Thanks for the tip, I will check it out.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Offline Crossroads

• lets make some sawdust
    • Share Post
    • Kevin Bales faith family farm and portable sawmill
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2019, 11:40:54 PM »
I found a few mushrooms the other day at Safeway, but for that price I left them alone. 

2017 LT40 wide, Kubota l185dt, 2-036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
mushrooms!

Started by donny hochstetler on Forestry and Logging

6 Replies
Last post May 08, 2008, 10:16:56 AM
by Ron Scott
xx
Mushrooms ?

Started by Autocar on The Outdoor Board

29 Replies
Last post May 15, 2016, 07:31:31 PM
by coxy