iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Author Topic: Mushrooms!  (Read 2493 times)

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

• Share Post
Mushrooms!
« on: August 19, 2017, 09:04:11 AM »
 I was visiting some relatives down the road from us and we got on the topic of mushrooms since we have been getting some rain and mild weather and they mentioned a mushroom they seen while checking fences. We went back there and checked it out and I first thought it was a young "hen of the woods" (maitake) but being a much lighter color we figured out it probably was what I believe to be a "Cauliflower mushroom". It was growing at the base of an oak tree.

We also found a few Chanterelles and a patch of small Oyster mushrooms on a dead stump. I'm going to check on the Oysters in a day or two and see if they mature. We went ahead and sampled the Cauliflower mushroom, it was worth picking. Tasted good sauted in butter along with the Chanterelles.

I'll post up more pics of mushrooms I find. If anyone else hunts and eats wild mushrooms, feel free to post up what you find.

And anyone else reading this, make sure you 100% positively ID an edible mushroom with a reputable source before consuming. There are poisonous look-alikes of many edible mushrooms. I only eat the ones that I know for sure won't make me sick  ;)

- WoodMizer LT25, Kohler, all manual, old "drag" style WoodMizer sharpener, cat claw single  setter
- Husqvarna 372XP X-Torque/24" bar, 455 Rancher X-Torque/20" bar, 550XP/20" bar, Stihl 024AV/18" Oregon speedcut
- Kioti DK45, '92 Dodge Cummins with Cannonball  bed, '07 Honda Rancher

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

• Share Post
Re: Mushrooms!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 11:48:24 AM »
 I found a nice patch of oyster mushrooms today but they were a little too far gone. I did find a few in condition later.

- WoodMizer LT25, Kohler, all manual, old "drag" style WoodMizer sharpener, cat claw single  setter
- Husqvarna 372XP X-Torque/24" bar, 455 Rancher X-Torque/20" bar, 550XP/20" bar, Stihl 024AV/18" Oregon speedcut

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

• Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 01:43:34 PM »
 Here's what I believe to be a "Bearded Tooth" mushroom (or a close relative in the Hericium family) I found starting in a pile of old firewood today.

Edit: This isn't a Hericium, after further research this was some kind of toothed shelf fungi

Offline DPatton

• Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 03:31:49 PM »
A couple morel pics from this past spring.

Where I'm from are highly sought after for a few weeks every spring.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

• Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 05:44:07 PM »
 Nice morel pics. We like the morels here too, something we always look forward to every spring  ;D

Offline DPatton

• Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 10:22:02 PM »
Unfortunately i have only ever experienced the morels for picking and consuming of wild mushrooms. I know that I have several more varieties that are edible in my area but have never learned to safely and positively identify other varieties. Maybe its time I do some studying  :P so I can safely try a late summer / fall variety this season.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Offline DPatton

• Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 09:43:30 PM »
I finally tried a late summer / fall variety of mushroom from my area. Sorry I didnt take a pic of this little fellow before I cut it up and had it in the saut pan. Just a few test pieces of puffball cut up and browning in butter. 

Once browned I added a bit of salt and pepper. Since this was my first rodeo with puffballs I was very cautious with identification and testing a small amount before diving into a soccer ball sized puffball steak ;). Two hours later and Im still alive  :D :D! I was pleasantly surprised with It's delicious, mushroom flavor. I will definitely be harvesting and eating these babies more often.

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 01:51:40 AM »
I won't pick as I'm not knowledgeable enough but sure enjoy eating them especially on a burger with a slice of cheddar. There is also nothing better than fresh wild mushroom soup.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline MAF143

• Work hard, Play hard
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 09:49:21 AM »
 8)  Yum, Yum,  we usually get several puffballs every year and we slice them up ans saute them.  Good stuff.
Always having a great day!
041 farm boss, MS 391, MS 250, HM-126, Ferguson TO-35, '97 Ram 1500 wood cuttin' truck, splitter, Woodland Mills Grindlux 4000 sharpener, Vogelzang Ponderosa keeping us warm

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 11:48:58 AM »
  We have friends who grow shiitake mushrooms in their woodlot.  They're not native wild fungi but pretty DanG good.  We traded some our maple syrup for a some of their mushrooms.  We got some fresh picked and some dehydrated.  Good trade 8) 8)  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline Ruffgear

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2018, 09:19:54 AM »
I've been doing a bit of foraging..

chanterelle

Hen

Online Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 03:52:51 PM »
I really wish I knew more about mushrooms and identifying them. The last couple years have been crazy amounts of mushrooms around. this weekend when pulling logs out of the woods I kept seeing puff balls or what I thought was them all over the place.

Offline DPatton

• Share Post
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 10:22:27 PM »
Jesse and I took a few minutes tonight to go look for puffballs. Didnt take long to stumble onto all we could eat.

Many we found were to far along and the flesh inside was turning yellow and discolored. But we found plenty still good for eating. Took them back to the house and fixed several sauted to a golden brown in butter with garlic and other seasonings. We also oiled, seasoned and grilled a few of them too.

br>

The kids and I really enjoyed them.

Offline MAF143

• Work hard, Play hard
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2018, 11:52:02 AM »
We had puffballs Thursday night for an appetizer.  Most of what I've found this year have been too far gone, but found 2 small ones that made a good skillet full.
Always having a great day!
041 farm boss, MS 391, MS 250, HM-126, Ferguson TO-35, '97 Ram 1500 wood cuttin' truck, splitter, Woodland Mills Grindlux 4000 sharpener, Vogelzang Ponderosa keeping us warm

Offline Chop Shop

• Share Post
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2018, 02:30:56 PM »
I picked about 20 lbs of chantrelles a few days ago.   Saved some for a couple days worth of omelettes and the rest pretty much filled my commercial sized dehydrator and are now in several jars for future use in soups n gravies.

Remember when picking the cauliflower shroom to cut it and leave a bit of the stump and it will grow back in the same place next year.   Always CUT the chanty too, dont pull/pick them.

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
  • A goal without a plan is just a dream. Elbert H.
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2018, 10:42:30 PM »
Chicken of the Woods.  We ate some.  Shared some with a friend and put the rest in the freezer  to use later.  

Cooks AC 36--Prentice 210C--Morgan edger--Kubota M7040 with loader--Case 580 K with extendahoe--Case 850C dozer--Int 1700 series twin cylinder dump/log/flatbed truck--logging arch--2 Logrite mill sp.--Cat claw sharpening system--And a bulldog to make sure it all stays here.

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2018, 12:02:33 AM »
I found a genuine Smurf house the other day under some cedars my cows were relaxing in.  Never seen one like it before.

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline DMcCoy

• Share Post
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2018, 09:33:42 PM »
I have a patch of Shaggy Mane's that come up by the sawmill each year.  Member of the ink cap family.  These do not last more than a day or so, grab them quickly or they turn to black mush.

Offline DMcCoy

• Share Post
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2018, 08:09:55 PM »
Our other local Shaggy - Shaggy Parasol.  These get BIG and stick out like a sore thumb.  They have a nutty flavor and are my favorite.  The cut stem MUST turn red/orange or you don't have the right ones.  There are look a likes that are not good for you, and there are suggestions that some people get a bad reaction to them.  Use caution!  I consider them to be better than canterelle's.  Meaty, and can get 8-9" on a 6" tall stalk -> easy to find. :)

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2018, 07:45:26 PM »
   I found these 2 today as well as another big puffball I did not harvest today. I will go back and get it tomorrow as there is a big tree across my ATV trail I need to cut out of the way that is close by.

Is this first mushroom a hen of the woods or a chicken of the woods? If so I will go back and harvest it tomorrow. I took the picture right at dark after a bow hunting trip.

Is this edible?

I'll see when I cut this one if it is okay to eat.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Mushrooms

Started by Autocar on General Board

37 Replies
Last post May 09, 2018, 11:40:39 PM
by gww
xx
Mushrooms ?

Started by Autocar on The Outdoor Board

29 Replies
Last post May 15, 2016, 07:31:31 PM
by coxy