TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Bit of Family History  (Read 1779 times)

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
Re: Bit of Family History
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2017, 08:42:11 AM »
My Great Grandfather moved to the property that I own as a sharecropper in the ~1865 after the Civil War.  He married, had a family, and continued to sharecrop for the next 30 years.  He bought the first parcel of land in 1899, and the remainder in 1904 which brought his total acres to ~720.  I bought my 346 acre portion a hundred years later in 2004.  Sadly there are no pictures.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2017, 04:23:49 PM »
I did the dna thing from ancestry.com. I'm pretty much 99% plus European decent. I could only trace my paternal side back to 1825 in Prussia. The maternal side goes back a lot further but I haven't researched it a whole lot.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Online Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2017, 06:24:11 PM »
I'm right certain both sides go back pretty far  ;D. Or as Ben Franklin would say "All blood is ancient".

This is a pic I had in my gallery of my Dad's great grandfather Leonidas (amazes me that simple country folks named their son after a greek general). He's 86 in the picture and going on his first plane ride in 1929. He was also a civil war veteran, he saw some changes in his lifetime. I've seen several pictures of him and he always has a mischievous twinkle in his eye. He always had that little pouch with him, his might bag. "Somebody might give me something and I might need something to put it in".

Offline grouch

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm recyclable!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2017, 07:18:17 PM »
You can see the mischief even in that photo.
:)
Find something to do that interests you.

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2017, 07:52:04 PM »
I have been researching family history, it is really quite fascinating. My mother's father's ancestors emigrated to Wisconsin from Norway, her mother' line from north east Germany. They initially settled in a Lutheran community in Iowa then on to Idaho. Apparently my great grandfather was always looking to get rich without a lot of effort. :D
My father is a mystery. I know from Ancestry.com his forebears were in New York then western Wisconsin but the trail goes cold. One of the men in this picture is probably my great grandfather but which one?

Sure a stern looking lot. I suspect they were English Methodists who weren't known for a sense of humor.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • Share Post
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2017, 10:49:17 AM »
My family tree..

And yes that's Jesse James... The real Jesse James.

Also on my moms side we are related to Thomas Woodrow Wilson.
Sorry but we don't have any family picture of him. Sure wish I did.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Online Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2017, 01:38:34 PM »
That's neat. Woodrow Wilson's wife, Elizabeth Bolling Wilson, came from the nearby town of Wytheville. That town is named for George Wythe, Thomas Jefferson's mentor.

Ianab, funny thing is, with your extensive knowledge of our wood rules and regs I had assumed you were an expat from here  :D. What cool family stories.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2017, 02:09:38 PM »
I looked up my family tree and all that I saw was roots. :o 

Actually I do have the written Davis history that goes back to David David (or in Welsh, David Lp leuan).  His Son Morgan David, or Morgan Davis as he called himself in America, immigrated to America (near Philadelphia) in the mid 1600's.  Some members of his family retained the David name while others chose to use Davis or Davies.  Morgan's son Evan produced six children.  I descended from Benjamin who was the oldest.  Jefferson Davis descended from Evan Jr. who was the youngest, so Jefferson was a cousin of some degree to my side of the family.

As information; Only one child of Jefferson Davis produced a grandchild, that being his daughter Margaret Howell Davis Hayes.  The other five of his children all died without leaving an heir.

Jefferson Addison Hayes-Davis, Margaret and Joel's oldest son, married Doree Dewitt. Jefferson had his name legally changed to Hayes-Davis so that the Davis name could continue.They had two children, Addison Hayes-Davis and Adele Hayes-Davis.

I read that only four of Jefferson Davis' grandchildren survived to marry and have children. Thus, descendants of Jefferson Davis are a rare commodity.  Except for the legal name change, (Davis Hayes to Hayes-Davis) there are no Davis descendants from Jefferson Davis

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Dan_Shade

• Senior Member x2
  • I don't want to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
    • Shade Custom Sawing
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2017, 02:28:37 PM »
My mom has done some extensive genealogy research on both her side of the family and my dad's side. Lots of big families make me related to lots of people.

Genealogy always makes me think of a "spaceballs"  quote:

Dark Helmet: I am your fathers brothers nephews cousins former roommate.
Lone Star: So what does that make us?
Dark Helmet: Absolutely nothing.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2017, 09:46:28 PM »
I'm jealous Lynn :D According to Ancestry I have 447 4th cousins or closer on their site and not one is illustrious.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2017, 10:46:36 PM »
Interesting tales. Plus it's the first time I've ever seen someone quote a character from Spaceballs.
HM126

Offline florida

• Share Post
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2017, 10:02:41 AM »
After my Mom died my sisters were going through the house sorting stuff. They sent me a box of VHS tapes and some books.   Over the next few weeks, I looked at them to see what was on them and most were videos of my kids that I had sent to my parents so they could see the kids growing up. One video was taken at a gathering of my Dads brothers and sisters that was of no interest but at the end of that video was a sepia colored, obviously very old recording, that I didn't understand. I watched it over and over and finally realized it was transferred from old home movie film that my paternal grandfather had filmed in the 1930's. In it was a clip of a bearded old man driving a cow down a hill that I realized could only be my great grandfather who died before I was born. I still look at it from time to time and am still amazed. It really is like time travel to me.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.

Offline grouch

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm recyclable!
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2017, 10:29:26 AM »
florida:

You might want to capture that VHS segment to a digital format. Ones and zeros don't change over time; magnetic coatings do change.
Find something to do that interests you.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Some family history

Started by lyle niemi on Sawmills and Milling

9 Replies
Last post August 12, 2014, 08:32:19 PM
by bandmiller2
xx
Risdon Rigs, The history of a family business

Started by Reddog on General Board

14 Replies
Last post February 23, 2009, 06:22:48 PM
by SwampDonkey