iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Safest protective gear

Started by johndoesti, September 04, 2017, 03:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

Quote from: Nobody on October 22, 2017, 01:02:54 PM
Around here, the Stihl x-fit is about 1/3 more than for the Gladiator.. Probably because of the retailers then..

I don't even see the x-fit on the Stihl-USA site.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Nobody

Quote from: John Mc on October 22, 2017, 02:42:37 PM
Around here, the Stihl x-fit is about 1/3 more than for the Gladiator.. Probably because of the retailers then..

I don't even see the x-fit on the Stihl-USA site.
huh.. well, here's a link from Stihl-Norway. May just get redirected, but worth a try..
http://www.stihl.no/STIHL-produkter/Verneutstyr/Vernebukser-for-motorsag/22135-66308/X-FIT-vernebukse-midje.aspx#accessibletabscontent1508703820161 

Andries

I going to guess that the "safest safety gear" is the stuff that you lace up every day going to work.
No thinking about it. Just put 'em on.
When my old Sorel boots gave up the ghost, I looked around a lot before buying Swede-Pro boots from Gemplers in Wisconsin.

My feet run hot. Even at -35 degrees I wear medium weight socks.
My issue is with any boots that have GoreTex in them, is that my feet start to sweat a lot.
Like sweat hog sweat.
Which leads to frozen toes and frostbite ain't no joke.
These boots meet the OSHA reg. 1910.266 requirement for chain saw protective footwear.
I normally wear size 12 boots, but found that they ran a bit small and that the 12 1/2 size fit really well.
Gemplers were really friendly and easy to deal with.
I'll post an update once I get a season in on them: milling, firewood, construction and the usual 'Canadian Crazy' wear and tear.

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

teakwood

Quote from: teakwood on October 22, 2017, 10:56:00 AM
i have had two stihl pants and they are good, but they weren't the new style vent pants, so i can not compare them actually.
Pfanner's are actually more expensive than stihl an husky, but more than half of the loggers in switzerland changed to pfanner gear, they are considered as good as or even better than the known brands.
hmm.. Around here, the Stihl x-fit is about 1/3 more than for the Gladiator.. Probably because of the retailers then..

I payed 320$ for the pfanner in Switzerland, in the US they are 300$, so they are not cheap. how much did you pay for the stihl's?
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Nobody

Quote from: teakwood on October 23, 2017, 07:59:15 AM
Quote from: teakwood on October 22, 2017, 10:56:00 AM
i have had two stihl pants and they are good, but they weren't the new style vent pants, so i can not compare them actually.
Pfanner's are actually more expensive than stihl an husky, but more than half of the loggers in switzerland changed to pfanner gear, they are considered as good as or even better than the known brands.
hmm.. Around here, the Stihl x-fit is about 1/3 more than for the Gladiator.. Probably because of the retailers then..

I payed 320$ for the pfanner in Switzerland, in the US they are 300$, so they are not cheap. how much did you pay for the stihl's?
about 400$ +VAT   :embarassed:
Hard to compare prices between borders tho. The dollar is strong, and the NOK is weak these days..

teakwood

:o that is expensive. i checked the stihl page from switzerland and the most expensive one sell for 460$ but i  don't know why it's so much more than others.

The pfanner is great and i will definitely buy another pair, i can just give feedback in hot temps, i have no experience in the cold. But for the summertime you should try a pair out

Nobody

Quote from: teakwood on October 23, 2017, 08:16:26 AM
:o that is expensive. i checked the stihl page from switzerland and the most expensive one sell for 460$ but i  don't know why it's so much more than others.

The pfanner is great and i will definitely buy another pair, i can just give feedback in hot temps, i have no experience in the cold. But for the summertime you should try a pair out
Yep. Stupidly expensive imo.. Next pair will be Pfanner, no doubt!

teakwood

Pfanner also has pants for the winter i think they called gladiator hot or something like this. If they are as good as the gladiator ventilation pants it's a no brainer. you won't regret.
Just don't confuse the names: the logger pants are called pfanner gladiator or pfanner gladiator ventilation pants which are robust and the arborist climber pants are called pfanner ventilation which are more stretchy and comfortable but not as tough   

John Mc

Do any of our forum sponsors sell Pfanner pants?

Teakwood is right: you have to be careful about what you are buying. At least for the stuff marketed in the USA, here is the naming I'v found (they're a bit different names than what shows up on the Pfanner Austria website).

for arborist use: Pfanner Ventilation Pants

Logger - warm weather: Pfanner Gladiator Ventilation Pants

Logger - cooler weather (?): Pfanner Gladiator Pants

Links above are to TreeStuff. All of them run $300. I'm neither endorsing TreeStuff nor knocking them, they were just a convenient place to show the description.

HEre's what TreeStuff said in describing the difference between "Gladiator" and "Gladiator Ventilation" Pants:

QuoteThe Pfanner Gladiator Pants have no ventilation in them so they are better for colder weather. The Pfanner Gladiator Ventilation Pants have the same front as the traditional Pfanner Gladiator Pants, but the backs have a mesh material at the top and zippers for vents by the backs of the knees.

The stretchy fabric on the back of the Gladiator Pants does breath (in fact, some people complain about their butt getting cold in the winter), they're just not ventilated the way the Gladiator Ventilation Pants are.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Nobody

Many thanks for the clarification!! I thought gladiator and ventilation was the same thing.

John Mc

Quote from: Nobody on October 23, 2017, 10:25:10 AM
Many thanks for the clarification!! I thought gladiator and ventilation was the same thing.

Just heard back from TreeStuff on clarifying the difference. I've edited my post above to add that description.

teakwood

Very good post John Mc!

So the only difference between the gladiator and the gladiator vent is the Zipper? Mine have the zipper and with them open sometimes you feel the breeze going thru. I am sure pfanner also makes a winter pants, maybe they are not sold in the US.

the catalog in English: after page 171 the pants start. But confusing, they have new names now???

http://www.pfanner-austria.at/en/downloads/kataloge/

John Mc

Quote from: teakwood on October 24, 2017, 08:07:54 AM
Very good post John Mc!

So the only difference between the gladiator and the gladiator vent is the Zipper? Mine have the zipper and with them open sometimes you feel the breeze going thru.

The zipper and "some mesh at the top". This was just one vendor's description, so they may have ignored some differences.

Thank You Sponsors!