Started by tule peak timber, September 14, 2017, 08:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

woodworker9

You need to find a mudjacker to raise your floor back up to level.

03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

btulloh

Had a floor like that mudjacked. Worked well. Money well spent. (Not that much money.)
HM126

tule peak timber

I had to look up the term ,,,actually we are doing the exact opposite.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

woodworker9

Quote from: tule peak timber on October 20, 2017, 08:57:12 PM
I had to look up the term ,,,actually we are doing the exact opposite.

You're replacing it?
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

tule peak timber

tule peak timber

My apologizes,  I didn't realize the mudjacking comments were about the expanding floor. My focus has been on cranking out the wood.
   On the floor ,,,,,neither replace or repair. In the last 30 days there have been 80+ quakes a couple of hundred yards from the edge of my front yard. A big Ka-boom 5 minutes ago ,,,3 additional today so far. I refer to this as "ranch growing". Seriously, it is really creepy laying in bed wondering if the massive beams in my house will terminate my family's life before the next hour is up. It is out of my hands... Rob

WLC

Awesome table!  I always enjoy your posts, you do some amazing stuff.

What fault line are you on?  Up here in AK we get shakes regularly too.  Can be un-nerving at times.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

tule peak timber

Hi WLC, I don't know the name of the fault line- but it sure is active. We had a pretty jolt an hour ago. Funny you mentioned AK as the wife and I are looking for something in SE.I havn't been as far north as where you live but did do some commercial fishing in SE years ago. I met my wife in a marina and the ocean is calling us back !

tule peak timber

A pic of the sanded top ready to start coating. We will look things over very carefully before first coat for any flaws.

A few pics of the next jobs starting tomorrow , canyon live oak table , white oak counter tops and a walnut island....Rob

btulloh

I really appreciate you posting these pictures.  Can't wait to see the table with the finish applied.
HM126

tule peak timber

Headed to Utah tomorrow morning. White oak table and bench.

WLC

Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Savannahdan

That's really nice.  What's the sizes of the table?
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

tule peak timber

The White Oak table is 44 X 100 or so. The new owners were very happy when they picked it up this morning. Some pics   of the house siding we supplied for their home in Utah.  Rob

btulloh

Interesting house.

Is there a stretcher on the bench?  How are the legs fastened?

Really nice.
HM126

tule peak timber

We have done quite a bit of work on trim pieces and furniture for the customers retirement house in Utah.They are part of the mass exodus from California.
  The bench has a piece of curved natural edge for a stretcher and the structure  uses  blind dowels . The legs on the bench are select pieces of slab that are slightly triangular shaped.To make the legs on the table match, I cut a pie shaped wedge out of the center of two "straight" slabs and glued them back together more narrow at the top-wider at the bottom.Pics of another table with "modified " leg slabs. I think it makes natural edge furniture look less clunky. Rob

I put the mismatched grain to the inside of the legs hopefully !

btulloh

Good solutions.  You've got a good eye.  Making the legs that way helps the appearance as well as stability.  Nice grain on that.  Glad you showed us a closeup.  Feel free to post as many pictures as you like! :)

That little wedge on the stretcher is interesting.  Is that temporary or permanent?  Normally I'd expect a tusk tenon there, but that has better visual appeal.  What is actually holding the stretcher?   
HM126

tule peak timber

The strength is in a glued joint with the little branch as decoration.

A more traditional connection....

tule peak timber

Sunday afternoon - in pursuit of perfection.  Rob

69bronco

tule peak timber

Quote from: grouch on October 11, 2017, 06:29:27 PM
Fantastic! Thanks for sharing this work!

How thick is that steel band? How are the ends connected?
A pic of the zero clearance, flush butt joint on the 2 in wide steel band.

WLC

Quote from: 69bronco on October 29, 2017, 04:02:43 PM
  smiley_eek_dropjaw

What he said ^^^^!!!  WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!!!

What is the painters tape for?  marking imperfections?  What are you doing to the finish in the pic??  I wish I had your skills.  My wife doesn't need to be shown any more of your work that's for sure.  She was amazed too.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

tule peak timber

The tape on the sides is to prevent any epoxy from filling the the little groove between the steel and the dado in the wood. The little strips of tape mark any sort of imperfection in the super clear/glossy epoxy which acts like a magnifying glass. Today we sand back almost all of the epoxy , rout the edge and get ready for final coating. In the picture I am using tweezers and a wire to burst any micro bubbles that got by inspection in the first two coats. It is hard to see in the pic , but I also drill tiny holes to get at things I don't like.  Rob

nativewolf

Rob,

Love the project but am curious as to the two statements: 

going to sand almost all the epoxy off....and you are removing all the micro bubbles,etc. 

You don't sand it off then remove anything that is a flaw?  Just seems odd process wise but I'm a forester at best and a poor woodworker. 

Wish I could send you some of our walnut off crooks, corners, elbows and such.  Maybe I'll make up a tractor trailer load and send it out to you. 
Liking Walnut

Thank You Sponsors!