AVAILABLE

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Crusarius’ sawmill build - started with Linn Lumber basic kit  (Read 20021 times)

Offline Brink5821

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Crusarius’ sawmill build - started with Linn Lumber basic kit
« Reply #280 on: September 07, 2018, 11:34:24 PM »
Crusarius,
   Thanks for the offer! I’m hoping to have a good day in the shop tomorrow, and if I like how my backstop design works out I’ll post a pic.  I live in Northern Virginia.  My mill is similar to yours in lots of ways, and different in others.  I guess I could start a build thread.  I cut my first log in the garage, and like you, got sawdust everywhere.  I heeded the advice of many and completed my guards before I put power to the blade.  It was exciting when the acme thread with handle lifted the head unit, even more exciting when the tarp motor took over the hand cranking.  The real test will be a big log, but a lot of work before then, not to mention an axel and wheels so I can move it out of the garage.  

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #281 on: September 09, 2018, 10:43:01 AM »
if it wasn't for the cost one of my other ideas was a vertical stop. make cups on inside of frame and use a main driveshaft from front of mill all the way to the last backstop. then put gears on the driveshaft and a rack on the verticals. That way I could crank all of them up from the end of the mill. it would make it very easy to align that way. But the cost was a little to much. and I felt the 1:1 drive would have been to hard to raise and lower. Plus then I would need some type of a lock to keep them up.
I knew what I thought I meant.

Offline Brink5821

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #282 on: September 09, 2018, 11:20:36 PM »
Your crank and driveshaft gave me an idea.  I have about a foot of acme thread left. Maybe I can use it for the backstop lift mechanism.  Then I can use the same handle l have for the manual crank on the lift.  My backstops turned out OK.  I need another piece of 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 x1/4 to finish up.  The hinge is some 1 1/2x 1 1/2 square bar I had left over from another project.  One corner is rounded so it pivots and the others are left square so the hinge holds the bar in the horizontal when down.  When in the up position the side rails provide support.  In an effort to keep everything square to each other I welded all for hinges at the same time clamped to a piece of 2x2.  I also ran a solid piece of 1/2”round bar through all hinges at the same time while welding.  It seemed to work out pretty well.  For the hinge pin I am using a grade 8 bolt.  Next weekend I will hopefully get the backstop completed and am picking up a generator trailer axel that I think I can make work.  

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #283 on: September 10, 2018, 07:31:24 AM »
That came out really nice. I chose not to use solid bar stock in the hopes I could keep it lighter. I think that extra 2.5 square you added is going to be unnecessary. Once you get the backstops to a height you like I bet you never adjust them again. It will just be one more bolt to check for looseness.

Speaking of that I have just over 3 hours on my engine since I installed the hour meter. I started noticing bolts loosening up yesterday when I was cutting stickers. I guess now is a good time to check everything.

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #284 on: September 10, 2018, 08:54:51 AM »
Nylon lock nuts.  Don't leave home without 'em.
HM126

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #285 on: September 10, 2018, 09:02:52 AM »
I have lock washers on just about everything. but I noticed my bolt that was holding my clutch on loosened up. Need to hit it with an impact to make it tight.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #286 on: September 10, 2018, 10:18:52 AM »
Chinese arbor presses break the casting ALL THE TIME.  I swear we tossed them monthly at S&W.  Hunt around, collect 3 then build your mechanized vertical backstop out of the gear and press anvil.  the gear rack cuts are already in it, just put it in a box.
Revelation 3:20

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #287 on: September 10, 2018, 10:28:29 AM »
thats a great idea. to bad I am not in an area that happens a lot. I think all the arbor presses where I work are the original ones from when I started here.

I did think about some type of linkage but decided to go the easy route with the rotating stops.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #288 on: September 10, 2018, 10:53:16 AM »
I think i have two of them.  But dont ask me which container or what state.  
Revelation 3:20

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #289 on: September 10, 2018, 10:59:30 AM »
Confusion or denial?

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #290 on: September 10, 2018, 11:02:33 AM »
after milling this weekend I am wondering if the crank at the head of the mill to raise the backstops was good idea or not. I would walk over and unhook my clamps, then I would have to walk back to the front of the mill to raise or lower the stops then go back to the clamps and tighten them up again.

The crank at the head is nice when adjusting height during milling but not during moving or loading the log. I may have to rethink that. maybe move the crank to the center of the mill and make it so I can crank it from either side of the mill. 

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #291 on: September 10, 2018, 12:18:44 PM »
How much milling/how many logs have you done so far?  I did a few things that I thought were great ideas at the time when I was building.  Mostly overthinking.  ::) Having a manual mill, I try not to move the log too much and try to handle the slabs and boards as little as possible.

I load the log with the backstops fully up (so I don't roll it off the back side ;)).  I level the pith and clamp.  I cut down removing slabs of reasonable weight.  I chainsaw the junk to ~4' and toss on my SkyTrak forks.

If I remove boards that need to be edged, I try to leave them on the bunks so I don't have to lift them up.  A set of side bunks would be handy (like a log holding area).  Much easier to slide then lift.

With log stops fully raised, I rotate 180° (if big, with SkyTrak).  No need to clamp and log stops are lowered to about 1".  Remove slabs and boards as above.

Now rotate 90° with the log stops fully raised - level pith and clamp.  Cut again down to target.

With log stops fully raised again, rotate 180°.  No clamping again (usually).  Might clamp some of the boards that need edging.  Much easier to clamp to a cant then just the backstops.  It also gives you a reference to measure the full length of the boards to be edged.

So, you only need to clamp about 1/2 the time.  Since I have limited space by the mill to "store" the junk/slabs, handling them once (cut and stack on forks) saves me a ton of time and not tripping over the mess is a bonus.

What I found is if you have 1 helper that gets in the groove, you will more than double your daily production and you will be less tired at the end of the day.

This is all stuff I learned from MM and others here.  It just took a while before I was following all their advice! ;D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #292 on: September 10, 2018, 12:39:30 PM »
I have been reading a lot of what you talked about. Until I actually started milling it did not make sense to me. Now it is the AHA moment :) I am starting to understand everything.

I may be up to 20 logs I milled. Sunday I milled 10, 42" long roughly 10" diameter logs into stickers. That is when I was rethinking my backstop crank location.

I am still trying to find a flow path that works for me. I thought I had one I liked but the tractor forks can't hold slabs and lumber reasonably at the same time. I run out of room.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #293 on: September 10, 2018, 12:49:19 PM »
I cheat a little on the lumber storage.  I have a 10' set of rollers and a mill bed right now that is 40'+. So I roll the (smaller) lumber to the end of the mill.  When I'm done with a log, I have a pile of lumber (already cleaned of sawdust) at one end, the target timber at the other and a stack of waste on the forks.  The last thing I do on the mill is raise the log stops all the way up.  I dump the scrap in the burn pile, pick up the timber and then the lumber and take it to storage/drying area.  Then I usually put the tongs on the forks and grab the next log on the way back.

It only took me 3 years and 50 logs to figure it out. :D
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #294 on: September 10, 2018, 01:07:39 PM »
I am still trying to just get a large enough area to setup the mill and still have access to both sides for log loading and unloading. Living in the woods on a hill is really challenging.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #295 on: September 10, 2018, 04:09:48 PM »
You don't have to have access to both sides.  I'm working from one side and the other is where the sawdust goes.  Only walk over there to adjust the log stop and occasionally to turn a cant.  I normally work from the clamp side to turn cants.

However, it would be nice to put a rack over there to stack the lumber as I go.  Only problem is it would be covered in sawdust :-\
John Sawicky

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
    • Share Post
« Reply #296 on: September 10, 2018, 05:13:01 PM »
 Living in the woods on a hill is really challenging.
Do tell, there is nothing steep on my property and there is nothing flat.  That is something I can and will change when I get a tractor. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #297 on: September 11, 2018, 07:43:11 AM »
From the property line on the left to the closest side of the house is a 40' elevation gain. My mill gets set up on the property line directly below the house. a 24' long trailer is not easy to maneuver in that area. Especially place in in an area you can use the tractor to load logs.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #298 on: September 11, 2018, 07:57:29 AM »
Thats kinda funny. looking at the topo map my property elevation rises 100' over the 1000' length of it.

Offline proptorudder

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #299 on: November 14, 2018, 11:13:22 AM »
Did you have any vibration problems with your mill?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
started sawmill build

Started by staker on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 04:40:22 AM
by ND rancher
xx
Ok, I have to ask...anyone know about this Linn Lumber Mill Kit

Started by JBritt on Sawmills and Milling

11 Replies
Last post February 02, 2011, 06:05:29 PM
by LPitt