iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can I unload loags from a semi?

Started by Momatt, September 19, 2017, 03:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Momatt

Hi Guys,  I have a Case 455 C track loader.  I am wondering if it will have enough height to unload logs over the bunks of a typical log truck?  I am hoping to buy a load of logs to saw as I am finding it awful slow to log my own ground and I also don't want to cut down all my good trees as I only have about 40 acres.  I'm in Missouri and here we have mostly oak.  I guess I'd get a set of log tongs and use a chain if I can lift tall enough.

OH logger

not sure on case specs but I load with my bobcat T770 all the time. most times I don't bring any other loaders to the job unless the trees are very big. they are effective and fast just be careful
john

chevytaHOE5674

Not sure what log trucks are like down there, but UP here you would need to be able to lift over the top of 13'6" stakes, which with a track loader I would guess you will need to make yourself a ramp to drive up on, or a trench for the truck to drive down in.

mike_belben

Does it have a 4 in 1 bucket?  If you can bite the log but not lift over the standards just buck the ends off and back out.  Or build a pad as suggested.
Praise The Lord

ehp

ya I sure cannot load the log trucks here , there way to high without digging a hole for them  . I can load the veneer trucks thou but its real close to not working ,

Riwaka

Are there any log trucks with the big self loading cranes?  It would be better to use one of those if their crane matches the logs that you are getting.
Can't find any large log self loader vids at the moment.
https://youtu.be/19kgPlbaZVE?t=7m52s

If the logs are small (the 455 is not exactly an old growth redwood log handler) you might consider having an engineer assess whether the 455 could have a small loader extension and extra counter weight on the back to give a lift height increase.
http://www.rylind.com/wheel-loaders/loader-arm-extensions.html

Pinned bolsters that can be laid down.
https://youtu.be/i_lV1NpWt04?t=4m12s

Pulpwood mafia

NWP

Almost every local log truck in MO is a self loader.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

4x4American

Pulpwood Mafia lol lol lol thats a good name
Boy, back in my day..

starmac

The mill I unload at uses a 966 with log forks and it will barely clear the stakes. 9 times out of 10 he can take a few off the first lift so that I can climb up there and remove the stake extensions, making it much easier for him.

A 455 will be a challenge for sure. I will not even unload my own with my forklift (which has plenty of height) without log clamps, preferring to hire a self loader to come unload for me.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Momatt

Thanks all.  I think making a ramp and a cut next to where the truck would pull in would be the easiest for me.  Bibbyman told me about a local logger with a nearby yard and his trucks have the tall bunks.  I will have to drop by the yard to get them to talk to me, I imagine I represent the pain in the butt type of customer, the guy who wants one load of good logs for a timber frame. 

mike_belben

I just realized you were buying a load of sawlogs and not firewood.. Lol.  Dont listen to me
Praise The Lord

TKehl

Before building out a ramp, how about pulling them off the back?  Depending on distance, maybe he could drop it off late afternoon or before a day off and let you take your time.  He may not, but questions are free.   ;)

For one load this may be the simplest.  Perhaps throw in something cold to drink to show your appreciation.   ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

mike_belben

There we go.  Choker the whole pile to a good stump and have him pull off.  Get a vid for us  8)
Praise The Lord

TKehl

LOL I did that with a junk MGB convertible once off the back of my IH S1900 flatbed.   :D  Got to see if my wife still has the video. 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

mike_belben

I worked at a scrap yard.. We full throttle reverse and brake stabbed them off the truck that transferred them from pick yard to crush yard.  Bonus points if you could stack SUVs.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!