The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

KNOW WHAT?
Between February 12, 2018 and June 18, 2018, this space displayed 13 Million, 871 Thousand and 87 times.

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Preparing for next teak thinning 2018 (Now Started)  (Read 7600 times)

Offline teakwood

• Switzerland
    • Share Post
Re: Preparing for next teak thinning 2018
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2017, 10:27:44 AM »
looking at the log pile it looks like another possible market opportunity for these small diameter logs would be to mill them into 6x6 porch and deck posts and 5/4 x 6" floor decking, railings use 2x4 often. it might be worthwhile to add value and produce something there rather than selling to the one low paying log buyer. easy for me to say from afar  :)

If you sell them i send you a container full of timber! ;D

I would need to find a person who has a market for it in the states and then go thru all the export papers and stuff. It can be done!

"So you think this young plantation teak is going to move a bit?  Boat yards are certainly scrambling to find good alternatives to teak.  They can't get enough of it." 
Well, after drying it would be pretty stable.
Teak grows unbelievable fast the first 10-12 years (growth ring up to 1.5"). Now after 10 years they do 0.5-0.75" and that will decrease the older they get and will densify and improve the hearth wood.
For Boatdecks i am sure it's to young, but for some pool decks or porch decks i think it would work.
The shipbuilders have a hard time to find old teak because there is not much left and the prices grew to the  unpayable, they will have to adapt to plantation teak, but the oldest they can find.
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Offline coalsmok

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2017, 06:47:46 PM »
Not sure what the wholesale price would be but a quick search pulled up Brazilian teak 1x6 decking boards selling at around $2.60/lf.

Offline nativewolf

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2017, 08:44:51 PM »
Not sure what the wholesale price would be but a quick search pulled up Brazilian teak 1x6 decking boards selling at around $2.60/lf.

That's not actually Teak
Liking Walnut

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2017, 08:57:52 PM »
well, we could all talk through it here and try to sell it through the forum want ads?
we use pretty low grade juvenile southern yellow pine for typical 5/4x6 decking. it sounds like you are saying the juvenile heartwood improves as the tree matures further around what is obviously heartwood now. is that the case or is this juvenile heartwood as good as it is going to be now, with the mature, later heartwood outside of this core being what is really superior later? what I'm really wondering I guess is, would this heartwood, as it is now, be considered naturally decay resistant?

if the wood would work the big question then would be how many board feet are in a container and what would it cost to get some specified moisture content rough milled, or, fully dried and surfaced, lumber to a dock here?

Offline teakwood

• Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2017, 08:51:57 AM »
The heartwood now will always stay heartwood later too, there will not be a better heartwood ring around the juvenile wood later. It's all the same, but as the future growth rings decrease it will be better and denser wood.
i know that the juvenile heartwood will have better color later and i think that in the future this wood will also densify as the tree gets older although i have no prof of that.

The wood is already naturally decay resistant because of the special specs teak has which is the natural oil in the wood. That oil is already in the wood not depending his age.

Some questions:

Do i need FSC certification to import to the states? or is it just for buyers comfort?
How long are those 1x6 deckings? How thick need the boards to be before planing, at least 6/4?
How long are the posts?
6X6" posts will obviously have the heart in it. Is that a problem? you know a beam/post with heart in it will always have a crack in one side because of shrinking when drying.

Offline tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • roborob
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2017, 08:59:50 AM »
I've had some experience with what you are trying to do.You have lots of competition selling raw wood to finished products with years of experience in front of you. Lots of info on the internet available to help you write a business plan. Most guys just dump into the Indian market. Good luck! 

Costa Rican cull counter tops .

A cull kitchen table....Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Offline nativewolf

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2017, 03:32:58 PM »
Ah, Tule Peak has jumped in so that's great.  Ok, question for you:  you've worked with juvinile CR teak before, hwo stable is it?  will it move if used as boat decking?  porch decking?  Just curious.
Liking Walnut

Offline tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • roborob
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2017, 03:44:59 PM »
I couldn't get it to go as boat decking. As porch and stair treds yes. The CR stuff I have was re-kilned by me and seems to be fine for stability.Rob

Offline teakwood

• Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2017, 05:49:59 PM »
That's great info and very useful. thanks tule peak
Do you know from which company the teak was, here in CR? How old was the teak? and can i know the price you paid for a board or how are those measurements?
Your kitchen table looks pretty knotty, was that intentional or was the teak all knotty?
What do you mean with cull? I looked that up and it means like to pick out of a bunch, is that correct?

"You have lots of competition selling raw wood to finished products with years of experience in front of you."

You are right with that statement and i think that i do not want to get into that with my small amount of wood next year. Too much unknown variables.
What i always thought is:
When i have +20 years old teak i try to find one single buyer who would love to buy X amount(small) of quality and to his required measurements sawn (or planed) timber directly from me. I'm sure i can sell him 80% of the price he would pay at the store or timber salesmen.
I need to eliminate the middlemen's who just take a big chunk out of the price without too much effort.
There is no sense to try to compete with the big companies.
But i am sure a buyer would also benefit from such a deal.

Here is a topic i wrote in the woodworking section. It's about my closet i made out of 20 year old teak, lots of pics!

http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,92928.msg1431382.html#msg1431382

Offline nativewolf

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2017, 06:34:35 PM »
I couldn't get it to go as boat decking. As porch and stair treds yes. The CR stuff I have was re-kilned by me and seems to be fine for stability.Rob

Couldn't get it to go...meaning no one wanted it?  Didn't work?  Or?
Liking Walnut

Offline tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • roborob
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2017, 10:45:36 PM »
I looked at your teak closet link. Very attractive and very well done. I found that when I was filling in the blanks/ answers, in my business plan for a second  grower selling teak culls , TACA was the most impressive tool . Without a doubt, the best looking stews on ANY airline, anywhere in the world. Immaculately dressed and extremely professional and polite. This little airline tried so hard it seems they have been absorbed by Avianca. Taca clearly was exceptional and its business model was rewarded..
 You clearly have talent , and what brief research I did on you today would lead me to believe that standing out from the crowd is within your grasp. You need to do the research on your selected business model and go from there.  Rob

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2017, 06:25:21 AM »
Interesting on your preparing for your next harvest.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline teakwood

• Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2017, 10:33:28 PM »
Thanks for you encouraging words, i appreciate.

i kind a on hold with all that teak timber selling, searching for markets of semi or finished teakproducts, investing in woodworking machines

Since 3.5 years i'm trying to get the permits for a stone quarry on my land. Although it has been the most difficult and stressful thing i have ever done in my life i am so close to achieve it.  Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.  (CR Government and institutions are some of the worst on the planet, a international study confirms my opinion, they have zero interest if the private firms and investors produce or not!!)
The quarry will without a doubt become my main and most profitable business.

So the teak will become my retirement plan and second business. The thinnings will have to be done, no matter what. i'm aware of that. But it was always my idea to let that teak grow to 25,30 even 40 years.     

Offline teakwood

• Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2017, 05:53:46 PM »
We finally started the thinning, weather is still a little rainy so i have to wait with the skidding but we already dropped around 550 trees, we (i and a helper) do 80 per day from 6 to 11, after that we skid for 2-3 hours if the day is dry, if not we call it a day. The tops we cut in pieces so nothing stays 1-2' over the ground and let them to rot.
In total i marked 2206 trees for this thinning. The trees in the pics are 13 years old.

Remember that pic from the start of the topic?

and now after thinning

We did the nasty slopes first

Before

After

Here you can see the difference pretty good. right side is before thinning and the left side is already done

the first 30 trees on the landing, nice dark color

provisional addition to the atv, i just hated to bend over the chainsaw on the ground which moved all over the place! Now it a sturdy mount at ideal height!! ;D

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: Preparing for next teak thinning 2018 (Now Started)
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2017, 06:15:22 PM »
Sweet. 

What kinda rubber on the quad?
Revelation 3:20

Offline teakwood

• Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2017, 06:24:27 PM »
they were the original tires when i bought the quad and then had them vulcanized with that farm tractor design, good for the mud bad for the road

Offline tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • roborob
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2017, 06:47:38 PM »

Couldn't get it to go...meaning no one wanted it?  Didn't work?  Or?
  Yup...

Offline teakwood

• Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2017, 10:26:52 AM »
Some more pics
This is one of the biggest i have to cut, it hurts but i have to make light

18" bar

Before

After

Offline chep

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2017, 11:01:39 AM »
Awesome pics! And awesome project. The tropical growth rates make your project so tangible for a person to be involved in a lifetime forestry operation

Offline teakwood

• Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2017, 11:51:05 AM »
The normal clear cut circle in teak is 20years, then replant again, so actually if you start young, as i did, you could make 2 circles but i prefer to let them grow.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Some pics of this years teak thinning

Started by teakwood on Forestry and Logging

37 Replies
Last post May 28, 2015, 07:12:16 AM
by crtreedude
xx
Started preparing for the Sawlex trip on this rainy Sunday...

Started by GareyD on General Board

13 Replies
Last post May 30, 2005, 06:45:46 PM
by WV_hillbilly
xx
Mahogany or Teak?

Started by Sawyerfortyish on Sawmills and Milling

13 Replies
Last post May 05, 2004, 11:28:32 PM
by DanG
xx
Teak clearcut