iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New (lol) to me tree farmer C6 cable skidder

Started by Night hawk, September 28, 2017, 12:13:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night hawk

Hello folks, I've got the skidder home and just finished going thru it changing all fluids & filters.
So far I'm pretty pleased, was kind of a pig n a poke as I bought it sight unseen other than pics.
She's got a blown 4-53 mated up to a twin disc powershift. The winch is a gearmatic #19 but the winch front cover says can car ? Winch pulls strong & free spools nice. It's has 18.4x34 forestry rubber all around, fronts maybe 70% left, rears a bald 5%. It came with a set of ring chains but not installed. It seems most here on FF prefer the chains on the front (only have the one set & another's not in the budget right now). What I'm wondering is , will putting the chains on the already considerably taller fronts cause any drivetrain problems ? I'm new here & any advice & help is most  welcome and much appreciated. Thanks !
160+ acre wood lot
60s or early 70s Tree Farmer C6 power shift line skidder  Timbery M285 mobile band mill
IH 786 loader tractor & IH 633 fwa loader tractor
14' dump trailer
Husky &

Neilo

Put the chains on the bald tires. Swap those wheels to the front if you want the chains on the front.

Night hawk

Thanks mate, I'd thought about swapping front to back too but was hoping to avoid the heavy lifting.
160+ acre wood lot
60s or early 70s Tree Farmer C6 power shift line skidder  Timbery M285 mobile band mill
14' dump trailer
Husky &

starmac

One of the loggers I haul for bought a timberjack 3 years ago and it came with the chains on the back. It didn't steer very good at all, pretty much had to bounce the tires off of trees at times. He switched the chains to the front and it was 100% better.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Neilo

That size wheel isn't too heavy if they are dry. Keep them upright and role from one axle to the other. I've done this on my own.

Night hawk

Thanks guys ! Yes it makes the most sense to put the bald tires with the chains on the front & your right, shouldn't be to bad & I've got the loader tractor if I need it.
I'll need to try and straighten out the bent rear fenders first or won't be enough clearance. She's got some battle scars for sure. First thing though before the tire swap I'll try it out winching and skidding a bunch (40 or so) of large beetle killed tamarack. I changed out the 50' of curly 3/4" sweged? main line for 150' of 5/8" and I'll be needing all of it. My initial plan for the tamarack was firewood as it sells for as much or more than birch here. After reading up on it here on FF  I decided I'll try and saw lumber and posts out of anything that makes a sawlog with my bandmill for a 3 side wrap around deck on the house.
160+ acre wood lot
14' dump trailer
Husky &

Thank You Sponsors!