iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

vintage iron

Started by Downstream, September 23, 2017, 01:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downstream

I visited an old friend last week and he was showing me his new rigid jointer he found at a garage sale.  I said I would love to get one but no budget for now.  Then I noticed an old craftsman jointer sitting in the corner and asked him what he was going to do with that one.  He said his brother found it for free and had given it to him.  He asked me if I wanted to take it no charge because he had no need or room.  Of course I jumped all over that.  It took the two of us all our strength to lift into my truck bed.  This thing was a chunk of serious cast iron.   Got it home, cleaned and polished the beds/back fence.  Had to fabricate a spring loaded blade guard out of a scrap piece of cherry wood and Im off to the races.  Went online to get a manual and the machine was made in 1937.  Works great and he even had a second set of blades.  They dont make them like this anymore.  Nick Offerman would be proud.  I will drop off a nice 2" walnut slab next time I visit my friend.

EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Kbeitz

I still have and use a  craftsman jointer that I bought back in the early 70's.
I think I paid around $400.00 for it at that time. Still works great.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

pineywoods

Downstream, I have one just like yours. Rescued from a burned down shop. All the aluminum parts had melted. New motor, bearings, belt, and a few misc parts and it works like new. My guard is also wood, not quite as nice as yours. The original blades survived the fire. My back fence is a bit warped, doesn't hurt a thing.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Savannahdan

That's nice.  I have one of their 4" jointers that I picked up several years ago for $15.00.  Only problem is they don't make blade for it anymore.  First time I used it I found out the belt needed replacing.  Even though mine is cast iron it's too new and doesn't have that look of yours.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Ed_K

Try DunRite tooling (800-2093145). They might be able to make you some cutters to fit.
Ed K

Savannahdan

Thank you.  I'll check them out.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Kbeitz

You can buy longer blades from Grizzly and cut them off with a cut off wheel.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

woodworker9

Another source for tooling is Bobby at Woodworker's Toolworks, in Black River Falls, Wisconsin.  100 year old business that services the woodworking world.  I get everything from him, including bandsaw tires, jointer and planer knives, etc.......

Not a commercial.  Just a happy customer.  My entire workshop, wood and metal working, is all vintage iron.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Texas Ranger

No picture, but I just sold my Logan 6" metal lathe with milling attachment.  1940's era.  Have not used it in years, but lot of memories made on it.  I would guess 800 pounds, and the two guys only  dropped it twice.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Don P

Two guys came after a metal lathe? that's a case of "If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough  :D"

Downstream

Here is my first furniture project that I used the jointer on.  I used left over cutoff pieces of live edge for table legs.  I was able to freehand cut legs and the use the jointer to quickly flatten the back edge that I mount the lower live edge shelf to.  Im going to enjoy having this machine around since i have already used on a number of projects.  Here is a photo of the latest.

I need to pick out a nice walnut slab to drop off next week when I see the friend that gave me the jointer.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!