The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: timber jack won't steer when winch freespools  (Read 640 times)

Offline Caseybow123

• Still hand fallin
    • Share Post
timber jack won't steer when winch freespools
« on: September 22, 2017, 04:04:42 PM »
Hey all. Time to get equipment ready for the next logging season and I am having some issues with my 230 D timberjack.  For some reason when the winch is in freespool position I cannot steer the machine. You could never steer and winch at the same time, but this is in freespool. There is also a 3/4 inch hose in front of the transmission that really loads up when the freespool lever is engaged. Enough that it drops the engine rpms. Any ideas?

Offline Neilo

• Share Post
Re: timber jack won't steer when winch freespools
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 04:44:03 PM »
I think it is either a relief valve or o-ring failure on the winch section of the hydraulic control valves.

Relief valves should be stamped 450 or 550psi

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 09:20:01 PM »
My expectation is that a parked idling skidder thats freespooling should basically be flowing a small volume of oil through (i assume an open center system?) And at a very low pressure.. Like the amount of backpressure that hose and filter internal friction creates.. Like 5 or 10 psi. 

To have it loading hard enough to shudder a hose and lug the engine is probably 1000 psi or more.  The only way you get that pressure rise is to block a flow path. So im looking for spools jammed in their bore and not returning to center.. Maybe rusty or busted detent/return springs on the back of the spool?  Slotted out linkage holes and whittled pins letting some valve spool drift to a half way position? 

When a seal/oring/relief valve is leaking you get low pressure.  Low pressure doesnt lug engines or shudder hoses.  Restriction (which creates pressure and loading) does.  Keep that in mind while you inspect.
Revelation 3:20

Offline Caseybow123

• Still hand fallin
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 01:55:35 PM »
I think that is a good bet Mike. The skidder has not seen much work for a couple years and sitting outside in the elements. Last year I found some water is the hydraulic system.  After cleaning and new filter, I was hoping it would straighten itself out but it never.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 04:50:25 PM »
Well, theory of operations helps but in truth my best tool for hydraulic repair is disassembly and inspection.  One piece at a time you are verifying components and you typically find the culprit along the way.  The worst is when you buy a machine dead and some other chef peed in the broth.  Theres no way to know if this poppet valve goes in this bore with this spring.   Those are time consuming fixes.  So having the knowledge that it once ran right is a really valuable piece of diagnostic info.   

Best of luck.
Revelation 3:20

Offline Coltbodi

• Sure, I can fix that
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 05:33:28 PM »
I agree with mike. I don't have a skidder, but I have tractors with hydraulics. Anytime a piston isn't working, but I can see the line shaking I know there is a blockage, and it is usually in a fitting, I especially have problems with blockages in quick connects. First thing I do I take off the line that is shuddering and check both ends. The check the next line in the sequence. If I don't find a blockage I reverse the lines, that usually breaks up any blockage things go back to normal.
If I can't fix it, I don't want it.
Timberking 1600 with lots of mods, a 65hp mahindra with a front end loader, a welding shop, and sugarcane mill from 1890 for making syrup

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Timber Jack/Eaton winch question

Started by Hans1 on Forestry and Logging

3 Replies
Last post April 13, 2019, 09:56:59 PM
by Hans1
xx
jack 380 winch driveshaft

Started by Decked on Forestry and Logging

1 Replies
Last post February 02, 2016, 09:55:13 PM
by ga jones