iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Author Topic: Magic Bucks 2017  (Read 8695 times)

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
Re: Magic Bucks 2017
« Reply #100 on: January 27, 2018, 04:47:28 PM »
Here is a picture of the "tally" sheet that I started many years ago of my bucks .  Of course back in that day any buck with antlers over 4" were legal and quite frankly I was proud to get it.  Today's management makes us realize that we were taking the future instead of allowing them to mature.

I count 86.  I will allow the season to end this year without adding any more to the tally.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline cbay

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #101 on: January 27, 2018, 11:45:07 PM »
Those really nice 2.5 yr. olds were hard to pass on until i started to hold out for mature bucks and actually had some luck.   On the other hand tag soup never tastes all that great.  :-\    Which is what i had this year...
Nice buck you got there.

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
  • A goal without a plan is just a dream. Elbert H.
    • Share Post
« Reply #102 on: February 02, 2018, 06:17:08 PM »
Lynn whats your take on spike bucks?  Back in the 70's when I was reading every hunting magazine I could afford, the thought was that a spike buck was an animal with inferior antler producing gene's that would never make a real trophy.  If that is true, our state is saving the deer that need to be put in the freezer and letting them reproduce.  To be honest I havent read the hunting regulations for this year as I have not taken the rifle out of the case, but in some of the past years you were not supposed to legally take a spike.  I thought that with all the deer you have observed, maybe you have seen an identifiable spike that would prove or disprove that theory.  Banjo
Cooks AC 36--Prentice 210C--Morgan edger--Kubota M7040 with loader--Case 580 K with extendahoe--Case 850C dozer--Int 1700 series twin cylinder dump/log/flatbed truck--logging arch--2 Logrite mill sp.--Cat claw sharpening system--And a bulldog to make sure it all stays here.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2018, 07:43:29 PM »
I see ~6 month bucks with spikes which to me is normal and OK.  I doubt that 1 old spikes will ever amount to anything.  I saw 6" spikes this year, one even had a tiny fork right in the top of one antler.  They were clearly 1 year old bucks that should have had a 6-8 point rack. 

I have taken out deer before that were clearly inferior.

I watched these two bucks their first year and when they showed up the second year with again one deformed antler and not much on the other side, I took them out.

Same with this character.

I doubt that this 6 year old buck had ever been anything other than what he was here.

I also doubt that this year's 5 year old buck had been or ever would have been an 8 point.

I agree with you, an inferior deer is just what he is and needs to be taken out.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
  • A goal without a plan is just a dream. Elbert H.
    • Share Post
« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2018, 04:32:17 AM »
Thanks for the reply and the informative pictures.  Banjo
Cooks AC 36--Prentice 210C--Morgan edger--Kubota M7040 with loader--Case 580 K with extendahoe--Case 850C dozer--Int 1700 series twin cylinder dump/log/flatbed truck--logging arch--2 Logrite mill sp.--Cat claw sharpening system--And a bulldog to make sure it all stays here.

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2018, 05:45:49 AM »
I wish someone could explain that to NY state 

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • made 70-11 and still feelin pretty darned good!
    • Share Post
« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2018, 09:21:41 AM »
Years ago I shot a spike in the adirondacks.
The biologist that aged it for me said 2-1/2 yrs and commented that it was about the poorest specimen he had ever seen.
Of course the food there isnt the best nor the genes it seems in that particular area.
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo
241 acres of woodland

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Magic Bucks

Started by Magicman on The Outdoor Board

55 Replies
Last post March 22, 2013, 08:49:27 PM
by Magicman
xx
Magic Bucks '14

Started by Magicman on The Outdoor Board

39 Replies
Last post January 11, 2015, 11:17:29 PM
by terry f