iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Magic Bucks 2017

Started by Magicman, October 01, 2017, 02:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodcutter_Mo

I picked up an archery tag yesterday since I was planning to take the bow out this morning. When I was getting things ready to go this morning I opened my bow case and the string had snapped   :o ... The string previously looked fine but I had planned on replacing it soon anyway. In a way I'm glad it broke on its own and not at full draw while aimed at the giant 6 point I'm after.  Guess I'll have to hunt a different day  ;D
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Magicman

Wow, lucky you.  A string breaking would seem to me like holding a rattlesnake with a head on each end.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

coxy

about 10years ago went to the local bow guy and bought a new bow as we where setting it up he took the first few shots and BANG  one of the limbs broke :o on a brand new bow needless to he was not a happy camper and I haven't bow hunted since I could not imagine  what it would be like sitting in a tree stand at full draw and have a limb brake

Woodcutter_Mo

Looks strange with no tension on it  :D Apparently I wasn't home when it happened, I bet it made a racket when the string popped inside it's case!

-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

YellowHammer

Quote from: Magicman on December 02, 2017, 09:09:10 AM
I would say that it is more weather and moon related because there has been no deer scaring activity in the 400 acre Spring Hollow/Strawfield area.  Where the does were shot last weekend by the Grands was in a separate 40 acre section of the property.
I'm a big believer in moon tides, not necessarily a full moon thing, when they seem to feed all night, but the moon directly overhead and underfoot, which causes tides as well as other related increased in ungulate activity.  I see it a lot with my cattle and deer on the farm, when the deer are really moving, especially in the midddle of the day, I can usually look up and see the moon overhead.  When the overhead or underfoot moon coincides with either morning or afternoon peak feeding, the odds of deer activity is very high.  There was a very good book published in the phenomenon several year ago and it explained in detail the theory and observations.

Anyway, I shot this small one the other day. 

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: YellowHammer on December 03, 2017, 01:22:31 PM
Quote from: Magicman on December 02, 2017, 09:09:10 AM
I would say that it is more weather and moon related because there has been no deer scaring activity in the 400 acre Spring Hollow/Strawfield area.  Where the does were shot last weekend by the Grands was in a separate 40 acre section of the property.
I'm a big believer in moon tides, not necessarily a full moon thing, when they seem to feed all night, but the moon directly overhead and underfoot, which causes tides as well as other related increased in ungulate activity.  I see it a lot with my cattle and deer on the farm, when the deer are really moving, especially in the midddle of the day, I can usually look up and see the moon overhead.  When the overhead or underfoot moon coincides with either morning or afternoon peak feeding, the odds of deer activity is very high.  There was a very good book published in the phenomenon several year ago and it explained in detail the theory and observations.

Anyway, I shot this small one the other day. 

Around here that'd be a nice buck, looks like a pretty good spread  :)
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

YH, I saw one today that had a "rack" that resembled the G3 on your bucks left antler!   :-\

That was the best I've seen in a while!  ;D

Today was the last day of the Regular Rifle Season in our Northern Zone, Oh well, we still have Muzzle Loader season!

It's really been a funky, screwed up season here!  ::)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

newoodguy78

YH, nice buck if that's small don't be afraid to share pictures of the big ones  :D.
Is it just the way the light is showing or does that deer have a touch of piebald on the front of its left rear leg?

YellowHammer

I think it's the way his leg is rotated, I don't remember seeing piebald on him, but I see what you are talking about.  I've not seen any real piebalds around here. 

Actually, it was the biggest that the butcher had seen this year so far, but for our area it's an average decent buck.  Typically, I try get at least a 10 pointer every year, either with my bow or rifle, but I haven't seen one of those big ones this year yet so I took this one.  Our bow and rifle season extends to February, so I have plenty of time to get a big one.  I am a very avid deer hunter, and put a lot of effort into hunting and land management in my spare time.

I know this sounds a little over the top, but here's a photo I took last week using my IPhone, looking up one of our farm roads.  If you look close, you can see about 10 different bucks, 8 of which have paired off and are fighting.  So I had four pairs of bucks fighting in the photo (I also took a cool video) at the same time, in the same frame.  They were all bucks up to 8 points (I had three 8 pointers in the frame, the two closest and one up on the right embankment) and I watched them for about 45 minutes until they faded off.  The creek in the photo is about 60 yards from my ground blind, so it was easy to decide none were big enough, so I let them all walk. I kept having the feeling Big Boy was in the woods watching, but he never came out, if he was there.  You can see my gun barrel in the foreground, and this is my ground blind made from cedar sawmill slabs. 

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Peter Drouin

Wow, you have a lot of deer down there. :o :o Must be a lot of food there.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

10 bucks at once.  :o   I might and I said might of seen that many does at one time,but not bucks. And that was at a place that had a you pick strawberries and peas. I see 3-4 deer at a time here at the most.
Winter time when I feed them is diffeant.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

The deer were really moving this evening before the storm.  I saw 38 total with 15 bucks.  One 10 point about 16" inside with two sticker points.  I'm looking forward to tomorrow.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Logger RK

Magicman

Yup and a very small 9 point.

He was in proportion just tiny.

WV Sawmiller

Congratulations. That snow sure is handy when it comes time to track one doesn't it! Sometimes it even helps when you have to drag one a ways.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

YellowHammer

Congratulations.  Looks like you had a great day!
YellowHammerisms:

Magicman

Both bucks and the midget one that I shot walking toward me.

Just before I shot.

I got rid of a couple of these midget deer a couple of years ago but this proves that you can not manage a wild deer herd.  Whatever genes are there will be passed on, but anyway this one won't do it anymore.  I saw two does, one with a fawn this morning that I doubt would weigh 75 pounds.  Healthy but tiny.

Peter Drouin

Shooting midgets. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Will you get two to have one? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

Well at least there was enough meat to make a large hamburger and two tacos.    ::)

Peter Drouin

Most try to get the biggest one out there. You try to cull the odd ones.
How long have you been doing that?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

I quit shooting the limit in 1997 and all of the Grands are very observant and will let them walk.  I just hung up the phone with the Grandson that was with me at the Cabin since Thursday.  I came home this afternoon and he stayed and opted not to shoot again this evening.

Magicman

Here is a cellphone video of a 10 point buck that I did not shoot Thursday evening.  He is about 150 yards away and we suspect that he is the same buck that a Grandson videoed in Reply #9.  He is about 16" inside spread and is an 8 point with two side kickers.  There are 8 other bucks (seven shown) in my video.
https://youtu.be/iINA1Y0INvI

Thank You Sponsors!