iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

grinder wheel

Started by trapper, October 15, 2017, 09:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

My friend gave me his fatherinlaws chain grinder.  I need wheels for it.  I bought the 3/16 wheel for my ms 290 and seemed to get a good sharpening job with it. Cuts straight and good chip.  What size wheel do I need  for the 63ps3 chain on my 241cm?  1/8 or 5/32?  Any recommendations on where to buy?  Other comments welcome as I have always sharpened with a file and don't always get the chain sharpened right. 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

ButchC

I have always used a 5/32 file and 1/8" wheel on the Oregon grinder for PS chain. The Stihl wheel part number for their grinder is 5203 750 7013 which is listed as 3.2 MM or just a hair over 1/8" The generic stones can be found in 1/8 or 5/32 and both claiming to be same as the Stihl.  The Stihl grinder is a good one but odd for me being used to a Oregon 511. Stihl uses some odd radius figures which means the stone may be different width ,, Sooo what I am getting at  here is you cant always translate a Sthil grinding stone width to an Oregon grinder and say you have the right one. All in all I find that using Oregon grinder and  stones shaped to a radius of the wheel width a whole lot easier to understand than the Stihl system. If all a person uses is Stihl chains then their system should be a good one.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Thank You Sponsors!