iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wall mounted heater install

Started by bigred1951, October 21, 2017, 06:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigred1951

So picked up a 30k btu propane mr heater today. Planning on wall mounting it in my mobile home. Do these kind of heaters need a heat shield or anything like that behind it. Somebody told me it does but I've never seen one actually have a heat shield between it and the wall. Hoping to get it mounted and hooked up soon. Had a nice propane fireplace insert last couple years but removed it to make a bedroom. Not wanting to rely completely on the electric furnace or pay the big electric bill. Also the heater only be used temporarily times when we are home. During the day when we are gone and and night I use the electric furnace.

VictorH

A picture of it would help.  If it is what I think it is, you can mount without a heat shield behind it.  You can also get a foot kit that allows it to stand on its own.

bigred1951

Yes it can be either mounted on the wall or legs put on it to stand on its own they included in the box. It's 30,000 btu radiant propane mr heater. Just like what you will see at tractor supply or Lowes or bunch of other places. I bought mine at rural king.

East ky logging

I have two of those in my house and they don't have a heat shield behind them. One is on a Sheetrock wall and the other is on a t&g pine wall. They never did get the wall warm enough to concern me.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

maple flats

I don't know about Mr. Heater but I installed a "housewarmer" 8000 BTU propane heater in the small room I store my Reverse Osmosis machine at my unheated sugarhouse. A heat shield was integral in the cabinet of the heater.
I'd imagine Mr. Heater does the same or would tell you in the instructions if one is required. They are big enough and popular enough to be on top of safety aspects (and law suit potential) if they sold a wall mounted unit that was dangerous.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

WH_Conley

Something else I have seen is one mounted to a cabinet just big enough to hold the heater and hold a 20 pound Propane tank inside, with the whole thing on wheels. Heat where you need it.
Bill

bigred1951

Well I got it put up and working a couple days ago. Been working fine. Now all of a sudden it is sputtering. The pilot light burns good but when you turn it up to get the burner plaques to burn they will puff a little blue flame and the pilot light will get small. Been working fine till now. Got plenty of propane

ChugiakTinkerer

Is this Mr. Heater vented to the outside?  If not, all the carbon monoxide is going into your house.  Units like the Mr. Heater Big Buddy want some decent ventilation so you don't wake up dead.
Woodland Mills HM130

btulloh

X2 what ChugiakTinkerer said.

Did you put a filter in the line? Sounds like contaminants from the tank or from the line itself.
HM126

bigred1951

It's a ventless model. No I don't have a filter in the line. I'm thinking today I'll get a new regulator and filter and put on.

maple flats

Often just a drop leg helps for either propane or natural gas. To do that, use a tee, feed the propane in one end, pointing down, then have a dead end nipple 4-6" long out the bottom, then connect the line to feed the unit out the side. Then if any crud gets to that tee, it falls into the dead end nipple harmlessly.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

bigred1951

I just tryed it this morning. The pilot lights comes on fine then soon as I go to turn it up to kick on the burners the pilot light just goes out.

Corley5

I always thought a carbon monoxide detector should be standard equipment with a ventless gas heater :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

LeeB

Be very cautious if you think there is any trash in the valve. I had one just recently dump 200 gal of propane in my guest house because of a leaking valve. I'm surprised the house didn't blow. I have three others and am now very afraid to use them. Had to replace the electronic valve on my kitchen stove for the same reason, trash in the valve. Hefty price on that repair. It was dumping gas too but not as bad. I will be installing strainer/traps on it when I get home. Along with the other gas appliances. Probably one at the tanks too. Will also be installing gas/co detectors.

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Bricklayer51

I have two of them they will not work without the filters.

bodagocreek2

I would also check the regulator.

DR_Buck

Quote from: ChugiakTinkerer on January 13, 2018, 02:10:20 AM
Is this Mr. Heater vented to the outside?  If not, all the carbon monoxide is going into your house.  Units like the Mr. Heater Big Buddy want some decent ventilation so you don't wake up dead.

Burning propane does not create carbon monoxide.  Propane creates water and carbon dioxide.   Neither is dangerous.   That said, you still need an air source as the oxygen in the space  will be depleted overtime as the unit burns.    In a large room or house this is often not a problem.   I had one on my family room wall for several years without a problem. 

The water (humidity) created by one will cause problems in a workshop.   Condensation on tools will create rust, especially on table saw and planer surfaces.    Keep a dehumidifier running or use some other heat source.    I just ordered a mini-split heatpump DIY kit for my new woodshop.  It should be here this week..
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

bigred1951

We only use it off and on while we home. If we leave or go somewhere or go to bed it's turned off. I went to go get the tank filled. I thought it had plenty but gonna get it filled anyway just to see. Will feel pretty silly if that was the problem. Only problem everywhere out of propane till beginning of week. One place had it but they charge by the tank not the gallon and want a $100 to fill up my 100 pound tank. So I'll wait.

submarinesailor

Quote from: DR_Buck on January 13, 2018, 11:03:05 AM
Quote from: ChugiakTinkerer on January 13, 2018, 02:10:20 AM
Burning propane does not create carbon monoxide.

Dave - with absolutely all due respect, I must disagree with you.  Here is a direct quote from the Propane 101 web site:

"Incomplete Propane Combustion - Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide is produced during the incomplete combustion of propane. Incomplete combustion is defined as within the limits of flammability but higher or lower than the ideal ratio of 4 parts propane 96 parts air. Incomplete propane combustion can occur in one of two ways:

Lean Burn - The ratio of propane to air is less than 4 parts propane. 2.5 parts propane to 97.5 parts air would produce a lean burn. A lean burn can be recognized when flames appear to lift away from the burner and can potentially go out.
    Rich Burn - A ratio of propane to air is more than 4 parts propane. 8.5 parts propane to 91.5 parts air would produce a rich burn. Recognizing a rich burn is very simple as the flames are much larger than they are supposed to be and are largely yellow in color.

Several products of incomplete combustion that are easily visible and if noticed, action should be taken immediately. Visible signs of incomplete combustion include burner flame appearance (as listed above), soot collecting on appliance windows such as that of a space heater and excessive water vapors forming on windows and cool surfaces during appliance operation. Appliance service and adjustment is needed if any of these visible signs of incomplete combustion are noticed.

Dangerous Levels of Carbon Monoxide - The Signs

Carbon Monoxide is a deadly toxic gas undetectable by smell that can harm or kill animals, plants and people. Carbon Monoxide poisoning is not limited to propane gas. It is a product of the incomplete combustion of natural gas as well. The best defense against Carbon Monoxide poisoning is to have working CO detectors installed throughout the living space of a home. Carbon Monoxide detectors are available at many stores as well as on the internet. If any of the following signs are noticed, take action immediately as a high level of Carbon Monoxide is likely present.

Aldehydes - This toxic gas is detectable by smell and gives the sensation of a metallic taste in ones mouth after exposure and indicates Carbon Monoxide is most likely present.
    Health Symptoms - Carbon Monoxide poisoning causes headaches, dizziness, nausea, shortness of breath and light-headedness. Fresh air is needed immediately followed by medical attention.
    Dead Plants - Dangerous levels of Carbon Monoxide are likely if the plants in your home have all of a sudden died or are withering."

About 10 years ago I installed an Empire 60KBTU counter flow propane heater.  Before I installed it, I did some really hard looking at the units on the market - pros and cons.  I went this unit because it was vented.  Yes the unvented ones are more efficient, but there are/were 2 distractions.  The moisture and POSSIBILITY of CO in the living space.  Yes, I lost about 13% in efficiency, but I picked up a lot in piece of mind.

bigred 1951 - PLEASE make sure you have SEVERAL CO detectors in the house.  I like the idea of having one that's AC operated with battery back up and one that is just battery.  BTW - Costco has their 10 year ones on sale this month.

Bruce

bigred1951

Thanks I already have a couple up

tawilson

I believe they have a detector built in.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

loganworks2

I agree I believe that all unvented heaters like that are required to have a co sensor that will shut the heater down when co is detected. I would check with the manufacturer on this. If it does not I would not use it at all simply to dangerous. My life and my family's are to important.

maple flats

Even my little 8000 BTU wall mounted unit is direct vented (the exhaust has an inner vent pipe with an outer pipe for combustion air.

LaneC

Not sure of your situation, but a  regulator that is on a 5 gallon type cylinder will not work right on a 100 # type cylinder. you need a bigger regulator on the bigger cylinder. Hope this helps.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Thank You Sponsors!