iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lath for shakes

Started by PineHill4488, October 31, 2017, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PineHill4488

For 24" shakes with 8" reveal, how far apart do I put the 1x4 laths on an 8' by 8' shed that I am building?

I will have a 12" overhang on the rafters and the ridge board gives a foot on both ends, too.

I have the walls together and will use a 6/12 pitch roof, later today I put up the king post and ridge board then start cutting my first ever rafters.

Thanks for any and all advice,
Greg
Fall 2013 purchased Stihl MS 660 and an Alaskan 36" mill, am happy with the setup, hobbyist not a volume producer, have milled oak, hickory, yellow pine, and power poles.

BradMarks

Been awhile since I did a tear off down to the furring strips (1x4) (20+ yrs).  But it seems if you want an 8" reveal, it would be 8", as you need to be able to nail down the next top course 8" above the previous one. Is it that simple?

Brian_Weekley

I'm installing cedar shingles on my walls (6 inch reveal) with lath at 6 inch spacing.  As BradMarks said, you need the lathe to match so you have something to nail into.  This is a wall instead of a roof, but I think it would be the same.

e aho laula

Don P

Brian, how far up from the bottom edge of the first shingle to the first nail line? I assume that sets the centerline of the 8" spacing.

Brian_Weekley

Yes, you have to consider where the nails will be installed (about an inch above the reveal).  On my installation (with 6 inch reveal), the first lathe strip is flush with the bottom.  The second lath strip is centered at 7 inches from the bottom edge of the first shingle and then the laths are centered every 6 inches above that.
e aho laula

PineHill4488

Fall 2013 purchased Stihl MS 660 and an Alaskan 36" mill, am happy with the setup, hobbyist not a volume producer, have milled oak, hickory, yellow pine, and power poles.

Thank You Sponsors!