Previous topic - Next topic

dgdrls

Small Sawmill Handbook: Doing it Right and Making Money  Author J Denig

anyone know this book?  I have found multiple copies for sale  $100 and up,
just looking for some input on its content and if its a good resource

Thanks
D

WV Sawmiller

May be a very good reference but seems a little pricey to me.

Want to take bets that everything suggested in it isn't covered here on the forum somewhere? 8)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

dgdrls

probably so, but I'm a book guy and having it all in one concise ref makes it easy

D

Brucer

There are apparently hard-cover and paperback versions. Barnes & Noble was selling the paperback version for $37 (but they're out of stock). I'm guessing this is aimed at the  stationary operation, not portable bandmills. "Small" is a relative term.

"For sawmills producing three to twenty million board feet annually, this book shows how to survive, prosper, and ensure future profitability. It explains sawing philosophies, high yield equipment, simple and efficient mill layouts, quality lumber drying, and value-added techniques. Small Sawmill Handbook is a guide for the small mill operator who is not satisfied with the status quo and wants to shape his mill for the future. It's also an excellent introduction for novices who want to develop a good understanding of the theory as well as the practical aspects of sawmill operations. Contents include: the raw material; sawing patterns, the key to yield and productivity; sawmill equipment for primary breakdown; secondary breakdown; edging, trimming, and sorting; mill layouts; lumber drying; and value-added manufacturing. Dozens of photos and illustrations show how sawmilling principles are put into practice."
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

WV Sawmiller

I checked Amazon and they showed 7 used ones from $95 each and had 4 new ones from $225.98.

The write up above looks like an excellent description of what the book covers. Does it describe what you do or want to do?

Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

red

$100 for a book . . no thanks
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Crusarius

Sounds like a college mandated book. Thats only thing that makes sense to me for the cost.

Roxie

I've been purchasing used books and text books from Thriftbooks.com for years.  It's a book lovers paradise.

Most hard cover and paperback books sell for $3 to $5.   Their assessment of the books condition has always been spot on, and I've purchased hundreds of volumes from them.

They show out of stock for this book currently, but they have a wish list you can select from the menu on that books page (upper right), and they notify by email when that book becomes available.  I've used the wish list function several times, and it works great. 

Say when

dgdrls

Thank you all,

Roxie I'll give them a look.

D

dgdrls

Scored the book $15. 
thanks Roxie,  you were smash-on!!

D

scsmith42

Joe Denig was a professor at NC State University for a number of years and part of the Cooperative Extension Service.  He is now retired. Joe is an author of some of the USDA FPL publications.  He and Gene Wengert co-authored some NHLA publications together as well.

When I attended the workshops at Sawlex when it was in SC back in (07?), Professor Denig was one of the instructors, along with Don Lewis from Nyle and I *think* Gene Wengert.

He is a pretty sharp guy, but as I recall the bulk of his expertise was in larger operations.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Chop Shop

Why would you pay Mr Denig for his experience, time, expertise, and trouble of documenting it all in one resource?

Everyone here will just teach you to be a future competitor for FREE!!

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Crusarius on October 30, 2017, 09:53:38 AMSounds like a college mandated book. Thats only thing that makes sense to me for the cost.

This is also what happens if a book is out of print. Will Maloff's Chainsaw Lumbermaking for example. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!