iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Snowballing wood kiln build

Started by dougan2469, October 30, 2017, 03:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dougan2469

I couldn't take it... I had to put something in the kiln LOL

I took your advice Yellow Hammer...This is my first oven dry load test and although it sounds like a royal pain in the bum. It's not as confusing as it sounds once you do it. I will be getting a better scale in the near future but this is a very good learning experience for me.

I tossed a 400 BF load consisting of walnut and white ash cut to 4/4+ 1/8" in to see what it does. This is how it is coming along...

I am trying to stay at or below 3% in 24 hrs because of the mixed load.

Does my calculations look correct?  Oven dry weight is 2.447 KG on the top left of the board.

If I haven't messed things up with my calculation I believe I will be drying loads this way from now on.  ;D 

AlaskaLes

We've got the Mini-Ligno DX/C kit that you gave away to a needy individual and it works well.

I had a hard time finding a quality scale that would provide the fine resolution and also the large payload to weigh any sample board I was inclined to use.

Ended up buying a Mettler Toledo XTC-4001 from a scale store in town.
It will weigh 50lbs with .5 gram resolution.   I couldn't be happier.
Compared to the other options in this quality and range it was a good price at about $250.00.
Not cheap, but a fair price and it is very accurate!!
I'd buy it again in a second.

Our most recent kiln purchase was a box full of new/stronger draw latches for the loading doors.
The first set just wasn't strong enough and they're showing the strain.
These are rated for 250 lbs each or so.
Still cost almost $200 for a dozen latches...kilns done right are not a cheap tool...lol.
You can see Mt McKinley from our backyard...Up Close!!

Mighty Mite MK 4B, full-hyd, diesel bandmill
Kubota 4wd 3650GST w/FEL; Forks;
3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M
Robar RC-50 50BMG-just in case the trees get out of line

Thank You Sponsors!