iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HD250 Woodmizer kiln questions

Started by Woodslabs, November 06, 2017, 03:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodslabs

So this is my first load in a HD kiln.  I have heard its hard to get the last 2 % out from 10-8%.  Should i let it run at 120 dry and 98 wet or turn off the compressor and up the temp (what temp)?

Second question:  The manual said you shouldn't let the controlled freeze so i heat it with a light-bulb however what do you guys do in the winter when the kiln is not running.  do you keep the controller heated?  Also does the unit in the kiln have to be kept above freezing as well? Or its fine if its off?

I ask as i will be loading the kiln in the winter so it may be off for a couple of weeks in freezing temps.
check out www.woodslabs.ca

Woodslabs

Anyone,

Also iv been stuck at 15% for a couple of days now.  Pulling about around 2 buckets every 24 hours.

YellowHammer

What are you drying and how thick?
What load size do you have in now?
Are you getting 2 five gallon buckets of water out each day?
What are your dry bulb and wetbuld settings?

To answer your question, yes, raising temperatures will generally unstall wood, but if you are getting 10 gallons of water each day, if the vents aren't open, it's coming from the wood.
The compressor has to be turned off if going over 130°F.
A light bulb or two works great for keeping the LCD display in the controller from freezing and damaging it.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Woodslabs

Quote from: YellowHammer on November 08, 2017, 12:00:40 AM
What are you drying and how thick?
What load size do you have in now?
Are you getting 2 five gallon buckets of water out each day?
What are your dry bulb and wetbuld settings?

To answer your question, yes, raising temperatures will generally unstall wood, but if you are getting 10 gallons of water each day, if the vents aren't open, it's coming from the wood.
The compressor has to be turned off if going over 130°F.
A light bulb or two works great for keeping the LCD display in the controller from freezing and damaging it.

i have group 3 woods in there at 2 inches.  I get around 1.5 buckets every 24 hours.  Down to 14% now per the woodprobes.  What about the unit itself.  Will that get damaged by the cold in the winter if the kiln is not running?

YellowHammer

Quote from: Woodslabs on November 08, 2017, 03:54:27 PM
What about the unit itself.  Will that get damaged by the cold in the winter if the kiln is not running?
No, but like most refrigeration equipment the best way to keep it running is to keep it running.

If I was going to shut on down for an extended period, (I've never done it) I would empty it, close it up tight and run it awhile to make sure their is no condensation or free water remaining inside, to possibly corrode things. 
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Woodslabs

hmmm so i think my unit broke.  So i noticed that it stopped pulling out water and when i opened the kiln it had a funny smell.  I took a look and even though its on the unit doesn't run. The fan is off.  I opened it up and no wires are loose.  Anyone have any idea?  I will call woodmizer tomorrow.  Its juts  2 months old :(

dougan2469

Refrigeration oil has a very distinctive odor when a line gets broken and the entire charge is lost in a confined space but if the fans are off and the compressor will not turn back on I bet its an electrical problem or a malfunctioning pressure switch.

If you feel comfortable with a multi meter, test that you have power running to the dehumidifier. If you do the problem is your woodmizer either call them or a (GOOD) HVAC service tec. If you can find a company that specializes in commercial refrigeration... That would be my first call and tell them you need a large dehumidifier looked at. If you tell them they will be working on a wood kiln... they will probably respond with "we don't work on those"

Woodslabs

Quote from: dougan2469 on November 09, 2017, 10:03:42 AM
Refrigeration oil has a very distinctive odor when a line gets broken and the entire charge is lost in a confined space but if the fans are off and the compressor will not turn back on I bet its an electrical problem or a malfunctioning pressure switch.

If you feel comfortable with a multi meter, test that you have power running to the dehumidifier. If you do the problem is your woodmizer either call them or a (GOOD) HVAC service tec. If you can find a company that specializes in commercial refrigeration... That would be my first call and tell them you need a large dehumidifier looked at. If you tell them they will be working on a wood kiln... they will probably respond with "we don't work on those"

The controller malfunctioned.  Woodmizer is looking into it. 

YellowHammer

Quote from: Woodslabs on November 09, 2017, 01:48:13 AM
when i opened the kiln it had a funny smell.  I took a look and even though its on the unit doesn't run. The fan is off.
Is the controller actually in the kiln chamber?

YellowHammerisms:

Woodslabs

Quote from: YellowHammer on November 09, 2017, 05:16:27 PM
Quote from: Woodslabs on November 09, 2017, 01:48:13 AM
when i opened the kiln it had a funny smell.  I took a look and even though its on the unit doesn't run. The fan is off.
Is the controller actually in the kiln chamber?

no i have a small insulated box outside the chamber with a light in there to make sure it doesn't freeze.  It looks like terminal 3 shorted out cutting power to the unit fan but the unit did not shut down causing heat damage.  I'm hoping to have it replaced under woodmizer warranty.

dougan2469

Quote from: Woodslabs on November 09, 2017, 01:13:14 PM

Glass 1/2 full... At least it is a fast and easy fix and the wood in your kiln is not covered in refrigeration oil. ;D How much are they getting for a controller?

Woodslabs

Quote from: dougan2469 on November 10, 2017, 09:20:17 AM
Quote from: Woodslabs on November 09, 2017, 01:13:14 PM

Glass 1/2 full... At least it is a fast and easy fix and the wood in your kiln is not covered in refrigeration oil. ;D How much are they getting for a controller?

Actually they are replacing the whole kiln as the controller malfunction damaged the kiln unit.  Woodmizer honored their warranty and are shipping a new unit from the states for me.  It's a inconvenience but Dave from woodmizer canada resolved the issue quick.  What really sucks is that i have to unload 1/2 the kiln to get the old unit out and the new one in.  I load my kiln by hand :( going to have to hire a helper.

Stuff happens just glad i won't be down for more than a week. 

kenbees

Looking into setting up a kiln as well with the L200 (wood mizer buys it  from Nyle the 250 from wood mizer is the L200 from Nyle) I called Nyle and ask them the question The reason  for the light on control is This   .. Condensation forms on the circuit board and freezes. when u start the kiln up  it thaws out and shorts out the board.  A alternative to the light bulb is a heat tape with a thermostat... What size is your chamber...  I'm  getting  into slabs so looking for any  and all help  No sense in reinvent  the wheel.. I also  have two lucas slab mills for sale  ( bought out competitor only sell out  of state)

kenbees
Lets make some saw dust

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

It is worth noting that 120 F Dry-bulb and 98 F wet-bulb is 7.4% EMC.  So, the wood cells on the surface might get to 7.4% MC, but it will be hard to get the average below 8.5% MC and the core much below 9% MC.  This final drying will be very slow.  Oftentimes, we use a 35 F to 45 F depression (4% to 5% EMC) at 160 F in a steam kiln in order to get fairly rapid drying at the end. So, the original posted drying rate and MC level are normal.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

BLink

Did you buy a kiln kit and use your own structure?
I have been considering making a kiln so considering options.
There are a lot of Old Loggers.
There are a lot of Bold Loggers.
But there ain't a lot of Old, Bold Loggers!

Stihl 034, Stihl 009, Husquvarna 3120, 540 Allis Chalmers Loader, International T1340 Crawler Drott 4in1 Loader, JCB 1400B, Cat IT14F

Thank You Sponsors!